Yeti Rambler - The Tumbler to Replace All Tumblers

peneumbra

Explorer
@urbex: the one sure way to combat all the issues you mentioned is to ingest your coffee the old-fashioned way:

Via IV...

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
Has anyone had one of these things long term? Keeping things hot or cold for hours isn't a concern to me, as I'll down 30+ ounces of coffee on the drive to work every morning :coffeedrink: so it could be sitting in a dixie cup and not be there long enough to get cold. The problem I've found with MANY of these types of cups is either a lid or retention device on the cup itself failing in short order. Either by way of cracking, out right breaking, seals breaking down or taking a loose set (so it leaks between the lid and cup body), etc. Eventually I got to the point of just saying the heck with them all, and just buying the $5 cups at the local gas station every few months.

I don't believe they've been out on the market long enough for anyone to be able to provide a long term review. The only component I could see failing is the seal on the lid. However, I think this would take quite a long time to degrade and I noticed today that Yeti sells replacement lids for just 5 bucks.

sdcanine99

Has anyone had one of these things long term? Keeping things hot or cold for hours isn't a concern to me, as I'll down 30+ ounces of coffee on the drive to work every morning :coffeedrink: so it could be sitting in a dixie cup and not be there long enough to get cold. The problem I've found with MANY of these types of cups is either a lid or retention device on the cup itself failing in short order. Either by way of cracking, out right breaking, seals breaking down or taking a loose set (so it leaks between the lid and cup body), etc. Eventually I got to the point of just saying the heck with them all, and just buying the $5 cups at the local gas station every few months.

I don't have the yeti cup but the contigo. As others have mentioned you have to hold the button down to drink, so it is virtually spill proof. The lid screws on, so is very secure. I have two that I have had for about 3 years of near daily use. Other than the paint peeling off the blue one (the other is just stainless) and an abundance of scratches on the plastic lid from being dropped, kicked, rolled around in the back of my truck, falling off my bike on the way to work (keeps coffee warm during a 25 min ride in 45 degree weather no problem) they are as good as new. This is what it looks like sitting on my desk right now.:Wow1:

IMG_20150408_153538338[1].jpg

Got Beer

Observer
The Yeti is absolutely worth the price. I have only used for cold drinks, but on recent trip to the desert outside of Las Vegas ice remained after several hours and three refills of ice tea from the fridge. While the lid is not as drop proof as the Contigo, the quality and build of the Yeti is excellent. It performs better than my klean kanteen. It has resisted spots and stains better than the other two brands of stainless steel cups I own. I used to go with a nalgene for the adventure trips, but now the Yeti will be riding along in the cup holder.

GrizAdams

I bought a couple 20 oz ramblers for camping, as I figured they'd serve well for mixed use (hot and cold). They're solid, but I haven't put them through extensive use with only owning them for just over a month. I was actually close to getting the SP nesting mugs (insulated titanium), and I'm glad I held off. Durability, price, volume, and an included lid were selling points for me.

I have a Contigo, which is great for spill-proof transportation of coffee, but I still am partial to my Thermos 14 oz travel mug. You have to be pretty careless to spill if the lid is in an open position. Plus the top is contoured to fit your mouth, which I'm most thankful for while driving and hit a bump mid-sip.

Another consideration is that the Yeti is a snap to clean. The Contigo's lid has several moving parts exposed to your drink. Depending on your drink, cleanup will require slightly more attention.

WrongWay

Observer
I am a believer. I had my REI dividend and a 20% coupon. Got the 20 oz for $3. I put ice in it this morning at 6 am with some Pepsi Max. It is now almost 4pm and I still have ice. It just won't melt. If you are on the fence about one of these, just get it already.

odomandr

Observer
I got the 30 oz from rei myself, it keeps things colder than anything else I've used. Looking forward to summer time with it

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I too purchased one with the recent REI coupon. While I've only tried one cool beverage without ice and it did well. Coffee on the other hand does cool much faster than the nissan type insulated bottles. Just my .02. I like the Yeti fine. It just isn't the end all be all of drink containers.

WrongWay

Observer
I too purchased one with the recent REI coupon. While I've only tried one cool beverage without ice and it did well. Coffee on the other hand does cool much faster than the nissan type insulated bottles. Just my .02. I like the Yeti fine. It just isn't the end all be all of drink containers.

I wonder if the whole "heat rises" issue is what makes it less good for hot drinks since the lid does not have a closeable piece for the opening. The heat from the drinks escapes more rapidly through the whole. Perhaps a sliding piece like the Tervis tops would aid in keeping drinks hotter longer. I rarely drink hot drinks, so its a non-issue for me.

Buckles

I love my 30 oz. I think my Hydroflask holds ice better, but the Yeti does just fine too. Mine goes to work with me every day.

I recently added 4 hydroflask pint tumblers, they are great the wife and daughter uses them for hot tea on the trail and of course they hold some good craft beer and keep it cold

Honu

lost on the mainland
I love my SP nesting cups with no handles :)

looked at the yeti today at REI really nice feeling and the lid was nice did not feel like a cheap stamped molded plastic had some heft and love that its clear and prefer it not to be spill proof :)

have to buy me one of these I think and the clear lid almost makes me want to get 4 for our camping setup as I love to see what bugs I am drinking :)

in the hand feel strange to say the SP beats it out but this is a close second and that is saying a LOT IMHO

I love tea but hate how it gets cold so this would be perfect around home I think also :)

the hydro flask also seem like top notch stuff !!!! I glanced before but never paid much attention but another great product and its nice to see great quality stuff like this :)

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
I'm drinking out of my Yeti 20oz. as we speak. I have had coffee in it since 6 o' clock this morning and just no finishing it. This is the best cup I have ever owned and I have way to many Tervis tumblers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne