Copperstate Off Road Rally

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Ok, so this is not a road rally, on or off road.

It may be conducted on a road and may be a gathering of people in a vehicle, and two people in it may be called driver and navigator, but it is not a real road rally by any measure.

Zero mention of route
Zero mention of governing rules
Zero mention of route instruction/navigational format
Zero mention of timing and scoring
Zero mention of safety

It seems like another one of those sucker-born-everyday rallies target to people who have more money than brains.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ok so only a couple of things that make me cringe...
$6850 is the entry fee....yeah that goes to the Phoenix Art Museum but that is more than most "vintage" owners will want to pay
The event is to celebrate Arizona right?
So why use a stock image of a Defender in Morocco? That is the info about the Istock image on the actual website. I could not figure out the image in the story but dollars to donuts that pic wasn't taken in Az either.

Anyway...sounds like a neat idea and I might pitch in $500 or even $1000 with the mention of fancy food and such that they talk about but almost $7k is crazy talk.

toddz69

Explorer
It's definitely for folks in a different tax bracket than I. And I'm sure they will be driving on nice graded dirt roads throughout the state. I'd guess it would draw some of the same folks that participate in the Copperstate 1000 that might have a nice FJ, early Bronco, Rover, Suburban, etc. in the garage that might want to get them out and exercise them a bit.

Definitely not a rally in the traditional sense as REDrum noted - however many classic car groups and organizations have tours/driving excursions these days and call them rallies.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles