Trying to choose the right chassis

casejeep

Observer
After doing months of research, I came to the conclusion the Fuso is not the right truck for my needs. So now its back to square one.

After talking with my builder I think its best if I start looking into importing an older model MB firetruck (for importing reasons). SO now I have to figure out which one....

Im looking at 3 different models.

1017 (of course)
1988, 49,000km, 173hp for 12,000 euros

917 AF
1990, 20,000km, 170hp for 25,000 euros

1428 AF (can't find any info on this model)
1988, 70,000km, 280hp, for 15,000 euros

I know all of these will do great off road, my issue is that to get anywhere in the States you have a highway with 75mph speed limit. I can't just go 55mph, I need something that has a decent cruise speed, 65mph maybe? That is why im drawn to the 1428 with the hourse power, but since I cant find any info on it im hesitant.

Just hoping someone could open my eyes to something im overlooking.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
What about a M-1078. Cat engine, Allison transmission AWD CTIS and already here in the USA. They are currently governed at 58 but relatively easily regeared to a more reasonable US interstate speeds. And easily purchased for well under the cost of the European trucks and shipping let alone the import hassles.

Just happens there is one sitting in my driveway for sale. http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1682957

Last edited:

canals1164

Observer
We have 917 af with super single 22.5 rims, it sits at 65 mph fine. It will do 75mph but is running at 2400 rpm which is noisy and uses more fuel. I have a mb trac tractor which runs at 2400 for hours on end so I think it's just the noise and cost that are an issue. I know some of the ex army 1017 are a lot slower. With 170hp and 8ton I ours works on hills but usually manages 50 mph at the top, certainly faster than loaded 44t trucks, but slower than the empty 500 horse ones in the Alps! We have 4speed Alison auto box with switchable 4wd, so we run in 2wd on road.

Joe917

Explorer
We are just ending six months in the southern US in our 9 ton MB 917 AF. No problems running in traffic on the highways you just need to use your head. We run at 50mph on the interstate if its quiet, 55mph if its busy, when a left lane exit is required we push it up to 65mph. Single lane roads are more tricky, you just have to pull over from time to time if you are slowing traffic. Don't cross cities in rush hour etc.
Our truck has the 5 speed manual, 3rd and fourth(ratios) are too far apart on hills so a six or seven speed would be better.
In Texas on single lane hwy with 75mph limits they pave the shoulder. Slower heavy equipment just moves onto the shoulder and back to let faster vehicles by, kind of a reverse pass.
Don't sweat the top speed you will be using it less than 1% of the time.

casejeep

Observer
Im losing sleep over this thing!!

Here are the trucks

1428 AF
I like this truck because the price is right (14K euros) with 15k miles. But why I really like it is it has an extended cab. I have a child and wife and huge dog. HAving a larger cab is a very nice thing to have. It also has 280HP, which eases my worry about top speed (but I also worry about fuel economy).
My worry is that there is no information on this truck anywhere.
1428 AF by casejeep, on Flickr

917 AF
I know this truck is the better choice. Its more expensive (25k euros) with 12k miles. It seems like there is many people who have built campers on this chassis and there is info on it. My hesitation as I stated before is the power and top speed. I heard conflicting reports on this. I heard as low as 45mph and as high as 70mph, so im not sure what to think on the matter. Ive also heard fuel consumption as low as 17 mpg which is amazing.
917 by casejeep, on Flickr

Neil

Observer
Casejeep

I have a 1017A with fast axles and 385 22.5 x 65 tyres ( thats tires to you )

It is happy all day and quiet at 55mph which where I usually sit .

It will sit at 65mph quite happily but the noise and consumption is considerably more

It return about 13mpg

My research also led me to believe that the Turbo charged engines stand a better chance at High altitude as they are forcing the air down its throat.

If you look at the 1017 , the military ones nearly are all medium axles and the fire engines are mostly fast . If you buy the slower one you will be looking to upgrade them

Neil

casejeep

Observer
So I think ill be leaning back towards the 917 or 1017.

I know "AF" is for fast axles but what does "AK" mean?

casejeep

Observer
Dang. always someone who knows more than I. Got to love it.

On that note. Does anyone know someone who has bought a truck overseas and imported it? Right now I'm stuck on the details on buying said truck.

Maninga

Adventurer
I looked at going down the imported truck route for a while, had seen the European expedition trucks and often wondered what it'd be like to own one. Contacted a few companies in England & Germany about some, I really like the look/background on what I've seen on the Steyr 12M18, even joined a German forum asking a bunch of questions around them.

In the end though, I picked up something locally and a bit more modern. I found it wasn't going to be cheap bringing a truck home, unless you were there to inspect may not be 100% sure what you're getting (is it complete, rust, differences of opinion on what's good), and once you've got it home it's still a 25+ year old truck that wasn't sold locally with all the updates involved in bringing it back to modern comfort standards.

What is it that you're looking for? What're your requirements? How is it the Fuso fails? LMTV, Freightliner M2, Unimog (still an import outside the U500, but at least there's more in the US), would any of these work instead?

casejeep

Observer
I fully understand I dont really know what im getting. I had a budget of about $45k (price of new Fuso). So when im looking at spending $25k delivered for a truck, that leaves money left over for fixing and/or updating the truck chassis and cab.

The Fuso was really the only other "new" option. But the problems its been having are some I do not want to have. From no low gear, "limp mode", and LSDF. I think the Fuso is a good option if you plan on staying in North America, but you cant take it anywhere else, or to be more clear I would not take it anywhere else.

Unimog's have a rep for being money pits and even with fast axles they dont really go highway speed. I want the Cab Over to keep the overall length down.

Im putting a 15-16ft camper on the back, im trying to keep the overall length less than 23ft.

I looked at going down the imported truck route for a while, had seen the European expedition trucks and often wondered what it'd be like to own one. Contacted a few companies in England & Germany about some, I really like the look/background on what I've seen on the Steyr 12M18, even joined a German forum asking a bunch of questions around them.

In the end though, I picked up something locally and a bit more modern. I found it wasn't going to be cheap bringing a truck home, unless you were there to inspect may not be 100% sure what you're getting (is it complete, rust, differences of opinion on what's good), and once you've got it home it's still a 25+ year old truck that wasn't sold locally with all the updates involved in bringing it back to modern comfort standards.

What is it that you're looking for? What're your requirements? How is it the Fuso fails? LMTV, Freightliner M2, Unimog (still an import outside the U500, but at least there's more in the US), would any of these work instead?

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
It's likely that the 1428 is a stretched tractor chassis. I don't know much about this truck but 280 hp was a fair amount of power for its day and would have been unusual in a rigid truck. It could have been a special from the factory. I would be willing to bet that with the right final gearing it would comfortably hold 70 on flat ground.

I know that with the huge distances and limited vacation each year Americans like their recreational vehicles to travel fast, but I really wouldn't get too hung up on it. Our 1823 still has the 55mph limiter on it and it rarely bothered me when driving around the states. People put the fear up us but even on the intestate people kept their distance and treated us with respect.

Kiomon

Adventurer
unimogs would be a bit short for a 16+ft box. 12 ft is about as long as you want to be on a common U1300L. Some of the bigger mogs could work but they are hard to find.

The 1017 chassis is about as perfect of a fit that you can find. It's stock with a 17 foot bed and easy to go singles in the rear.

All of these trucks have the potential to be a money pit, but your approach of having 20k for upgrades and renewal is the right one. Tires alone will run you a few grand. In the 1017 you may want a bigger turbo and an inter cooler for more safe power.

Check out bill caid, he has a 1017A that he uses as a camper and has extensively refurbished for safe and efficient highway driving. Billcaid.com

But the best advice I can give you is to call Rob Pickering at Terry Lee Enterprises if you end up with a Benz truck and have him work through the truck front to back. He is a wizard and has experience with all these vintage Benz trucks. He also has a 1017A for sale, with a less than 10k miles on it if I remember correctly. :) you could save a lot of time and headache of importing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles