Tie-down options for storage containers in new trailer?

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I just purchased this nifty little trailer. It is perfect for my needs; it can be pulled behind either my 5th Gen T4R or my wife's Crosstrek. And it is hefty enough to go any place I'm willing to pull it. I asked the factory to make the tongue 20" longer and they liked the idea so much they've now made it an option.

blue-trailer-w-black-wheels-rotated-2-Medium-600x400.jpg

?,mz .jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

http://www.freespiritrecreation.com/journey-xl-off-road/

One of the reasons I like this design is that the base of the RTT is aluminum and is bolted directly to the top of the trailer. The downside is that it cannot be lifted up to access the storage area. There are three doors that do give access which is good enough for me. I will be mounting an ARB frig sliding tray behind the driver's side door. It will hold two 7 gallon water containers. The outside front of the trailer will have mounts installed for two 1 gallon Rotopax gas containers and a 5 gallon propane tank mount.

so that leaves the remainder of the inside storage. From the factory there are no tie down points inside the trailer. I am trying to come up with some ideas for securing Action Packers, etc., inside the water and dust-proof trailer. I am thinking that bolting something like this on the inside of the trailer along the sides make be a workable solution.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Airline-Straps-Hardware

Do any of you have better solutions?

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
better, no, yours is the sechsy solution. Cheaper, yes. Some basic D-ring assemblies, strategically placed, bolted thru the floor with some 100% silicone caulk applied to the parts during installation, to keep things waterproof.

$_35.JPG

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Hi rayra! thanks for the input. Your idea would be a bit cheaper, but my idea gives me the ability to move the actual tiedown points to where they will be needed along the mounting track. The silicon sealant is an excellent idea! I will certainly follow your advice on that.

Dale

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hi Dale,

I had an Adventure Trailer Chaser for 10 years and what worked for me was simple taking up the volume inside the trailer. No tie downs. Instead I searched out boxes that would fit snug side to side. By snug I mean a 1/4" gap between the boxes for easy of getting them out. I would also use soft bags to create pressure points top to bottom. The last few years I made a wooden divider out of half inch Baltic Birch. This looked like the inside of a Pelican camera case. This allowed me to completely separate hard pelican cases from chairs, Snow Peak tables, etc. I'd recommend looking at Akro-Mils boxes. They are food grade plastic and have attached lids.

Below is a link to my trailer for picture refrence.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-Chaser-15-San-Diego-CA?highlight=Chaser+#15

Congrats on the new trailer.

Justin

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Hi Justin! Wow! Great setup you had there. If I had known about it, I probably would have bought it a month ago. Oh, well.....

Two quick points; first, my wife was tired of having to climb up and down into our Columbus RTT on my previous rigs. We are both in our 60's and that trip at night was no longer fun for her, nor me! This new trailer is small enough, low enough so that we can literally jump out of the tent if necessary. second, I really respect the way you had set up your storage options in your trailer. Unfortunately, my top is not hinged, it is bolted securely to the top of the trailer. So my only access is via the three doors. So accessibility is a big thing for me and I don't have the neat packing option you had available to me. Hope that makes sense.

Could you answer another question for me? I like the propane tank mounting system you had on your trailer. Where did you get it? AT? Is that a 2.5 gal propane tank? I have a 2.5 tank I purchased at REI years ago. I'd like to mount it on the front of the trailer similarly to your setup. Just need the mounting system.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Yes, the propane bracket is from AT. I'd call them about the tank you have. I also took note that the lid does not hinge. I guess my overall point was that tie downs inside a trailer are going to be a pain to use. Simple take up the volume inside so that items don't have a chance to bounce around. Another option would be to make full width slide out trays. I'd need to see pictures of the compartments and ruff openning sizes to think of other ideas.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Justin, we think a lot alike! I have a surplus ARB sliding tray. It will be mounted behind the side door on the left/driver's side of the trailer. It can hold two 7 gallon Reliance water containers. My idea in camp is to pull out the tray accessing the water, set up my old Camp Chef two burner stove just in front of the tray and connect it to the propane tank, which will be left in its mounting bracket at the front of the trailer. I typically do all my cooking off the back of the 4Runner using my Australian chuckwagon. Working around the tongue of the trailer with be a PITA, but.... Here is a pic of my old T4R at NWOR last year.

IMG_2995.jpg

You are correct; I could always stuff soft gear around the containers. I was thinking about going back to my old reliable Action Packers, but will also check into your suggested models too.

Wilbah

Adventurer
An alternative to bolt down D rings (with the need to waterproof the bolts) would be to have a local weld shop weld in some d-rings (I am assuming the trailer box is steel? But if it's aluminum you could still have it tigged). I like the option of moving the tie down points so you could get the rails that feature adjustable tie down points but the will eat up more space in your storage area.
Lastly I saw on someone's build thread here an anchor system for wiring systems that uses an epoxy system to anchor the bolt to any metal surface. I don't recall the brand but wrote it down. Each bolt holds something like 500 lbs so it's very stout stuff. just make sure you are positive on the location as they would be a bear to remove. I can find the specific items (the adjustable rails, and the epoxy bolt system) from other threads if either of those interest you.

You might also find that with enough combination of hard cases and soft stuff (duffles, etc) you don't end up actually needing true tie downs if the soft items can buffer the other items. Nice trailer btw!

rayra

Expedition Leader
another option is some sort of slotted board at frotn and back or side to side, with a moveable partition that locks in their grooves. Placed so you could place all your items in a compact formation and then lock them in with the partition.

Another way is just use a 3/4" sheet of plywood in the bottom of the trailer and screw the D-rings to it, in any configuration you want or need. Or if there is room, elevate that sheet on 1x2 firring strips and litter the sheet with holes large enough to hook tie-down straps or bungee cords thru, in any way you like, much like a carpenter's work table with its grid of peg holes for workpiece clamps. You'd lose only 1-1/2" of height inside your trailer and cost would be under $30 and not require any spendy hardware.

something like the top of this work platform. Gogle Ron Paulk designs for more ideas in that vein.

Line-Boring-1.jpg

Wilbah

Adventurer

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Wilbuh,

thanks again! The adjustable tracks look just like the ones I was thinking about. I realize that in my situation access to the tie down points will be difficult at times, but feel that having the option of tying down loose gear is better in many occasions than letting it bounce around. Letting me "see" how Ilatak did it confirms that this will work for me.

WU7X

The adjustable tie downs I was thinking about are like the ones Ilatak has in his post #40 in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ual-dimensions-on-pg-4)/page4?highlight=perkj

And for the tie down "posts" cwvandy has them in his post #34 in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136352-Custom-Tundra-Bed-Storage-Phase-1/page4

(he also has the adjustable tie down rails which you can see on p. 1 of that thread).

Good luck!

Scoutman

Explorer
Justin, we think a lot alike! I have a surplus ARB sliding tray. It will be mounted behind the side door on the left/driver's side of the trailer. It can hold two 7 gallon Reliance water containers. My idea in camp is to pull out the tray accessing the water, set up my old Camp Chef two burner stove just in front of the tray and connect it to the propane tank, which will be left in its mounting bracket at the front of the trailer. I typically do all my cooking off the back of the 4Runner using my Australian chuckwagon. Working around the tongue of the trailer with be a PITA, but.... Here is a pic of my old T4R at NWOR last year.

View attachment 278820

You are correct; I could always stuff soft gear around the containers. I was thinking about going back to my old reliable Action Packers, but will also check into your suggested models too.

Where did you get that 10# propane tank sleeve? I've been looking for one so it's not banging around in my toolbox.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Where did you get that 10# propane tank sleeve? I've been looking for one so it's not banging around in my toolbox.

I made it from one of my wife's yoga mats. It works really well. But now I have mounted the tank on the outside of the trailer. I bought the mount from Mario Donavon at AT Trailer.

Trailer & longer tongue.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior