Turn Signal Problem

Nate13

Hello,

I just recently bought a "new" 96 Disco, that had driven wonderfully until last night.
The left turn signal came on, with out activating it, and wouldn't go off. It ended up stopping by itself eventually, but the fact that it randomly came on and prohibited me from using my right turn signal (as it would just look like I had my hazards on) as well as just looking ridiculous prompted me to search a bit.

There was a "clicking" (normal turn signal noise) coming from the "ABS" box in the passenger floorboard area. Upon looking at it, I found a solid yellow wire that had been unplugged/ripped out. It still has the metal tip on it though, so it just needs to be reinserted into it's proper place.

When I went out this morning, I first tried to turn the signals on just see if they worked/could trigger the problem from last night. I had no turn signals. I would turn the right and the left on, but the dash light didn't come on nor did the actual lights. (No click sound either) I checked the hazard lights, and everything was normal. (Dash and exterior lights as well as the normal sound)

Could anyone please help me here, as I currently cannot drive my new Disco, and need to hopefully have it legal again by the morning so I can drive to class...

Thank you in advance.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I have no experience with that system, but you could give this a shot:

Check the fuses first.
Swap the emergency flasher relay (or one with a similar part number) with the turn signal relay and see if the problem goes away.
That pulled wire sounds interesting, so I'd look very carefully for any shorts. Was it by any chance raining?
Get a Chilton's manual with schematics or a factory Land Rover book and start tracing circuits.

I'm sure somebody else will chime in here.

Nate13

Well, I checked the fuses and they were all good.
Checked the trailer wiring, as suggested by another forum, again with out a positive result.

I still have no turn signals.

Oh, and it had rained a few days prior to the failure, but they signals worked fine for about 2 days until they quit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles