Two teardroptrailers from fiberglass component kits

two

I have worked a sweet deal .Will be building two trailers. The first one will be a sport dux light. To me it looks like a sporty economy 1958 Scotty Cento trailer.Number two will be a be a Benroy style.
The deal is I build the two & take lots of pictures. Pick the one I want .Have the manufacturer pick up the other . Reimburse the cost for the one they take back.
On the one I keep I get reimburse For the fiberglass component kit and the trailer base. If I keep the two trailers I get reimburse for the Sport dux light fiberglass component kit. They want the pictures for doing a Building Guide for there Modular fiberglass component kit.
I will start with one kit the dux light using Andrew Gibbens ULTRALIGHT CHASSIS http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear57.htm[/URL] .
I will be building these in my dad's garage which is a hour drive . By doing two at a time .I will not drive there just to do a hour are so of work just to go home

two

I believe I have all the bugs work out . Will start with the sport trailer .I'll be using R15in the front . After 6 weeks I will start the Angib's Wander http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear59.htm
For the smaller sport trailer it seems it will just fall together. On the bigger Wander I will worry most about cross support X in the outside shell wall .I was planing to do the two at the same time. Thinking I will get the sport trailer mostly done first. That way I can beat and push and see if there a week spot if any might be there .I will make a floor mockup to make sure the walls tie in . By doing the mock up frame if the shell turns out lighter I can go with the cheaper fold up trailer. The Modular fiberglass component kit runs about one pound a foot. They have a flat piece that 5'' wide with the 3/8'' reset . Because of the reset will add support to the side wall. The manufacturer will try to add some beads down the center of the 5'' flat component that will make it stronger .Will back up the bead with spray foam. Will use that where the plywood come together on the sides. Will use 1/4 plywood on the outside 1/2 blue Foam covered with a light waterproof cloth . Will use some Alum around the door frame & windows that will tie to the trailer frame .That way I may not need studs. Hope the fiberglass component outer ring and the foam will take of most of the support.I feel this system will work well over the long hall as this is the way U-Hall dose there trailers . The manufacturer stated that the profile was copy from a 1948 semi trailer cap that was made from hand formed steel .They make the trailers the same way today . If you think this is a bad plan please say so thank you!

two

start the insanity

All set to go with the first Modular fiberglass component trailer. Have space cleared out new welder . Pick up my axle . All great then I look on the tag .It's a 600 Pound axle .It's was to be a 1200 pounds. so out goes all my plans. So will be building a 1950s Ailette trailer crossed with Generic Benroy and a side of Kampmaster. It,s better if you drink some .I will be using R24'' on the front top with 24'' straight rails then 48'' radii on top and back . Will open in the back no doors like a Ailette trailer.If I can find some one to sew will make the back look like a Kampmaster starting the frame first.

two

COST TIME

I will try to keep track of cost and time.If you think of any thing I should add Please say so.
I am bad at paper work So will try to do my best.

COST

FRAME

1 EA. TORSION TRAILER AXLE With 4on4 hubs .......................................................................$ 235.00

BODY

INTER

FINISHING

TIME

FRAME

BODY

INTER

FINISHING

two

After a few set backs this is the trailer that will be my kinda like if you close your eyes.

piccolo_01.jpg

two

I have started my Ailette trailer . I looked to see what this small trailer with no doors just has room for a bed. Thinking I should be able to build for 1/2 the price.
I was shocked to see what there selling for. One over sea the Sleeper was $ 3700. + shipping it came to a little over $5000.. Talked to two builders one ask for $6000 no doors and painted. the last one ask $7500. On a Harbor Freight frame .All where 48'' wide no. doors And should not be opened in the rain.
After reading many post by Angib .I feel it best to go with a flat front. More room it a stronger tie in to the frame.I could have use two R24'' and make the front rounder. I'm using the R24'' it will be easier to bend 1
/8 plywood around. Will be using R48'' for the back.

I was reading that if you take primer and bondo. You can make a thick primer and use a fake wood roller to make a foe wood on the fiberglass . DON'T do it I will be sanding it off for a week
b66l1c.jpg

2dbt0s7.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That looks like some ugly chopper gun fiberglass stuff going on there. Chopped glass sprayed via gun into a form is fairly heavy and doesn't have a hole lot of strength or durability. This method surfaced in the hey day of fiberglass power boat building back in the 60's.

two

The rough looking fiberglass is where the mat and woven fabric over ran the mold . Will flip and get pictures and you can see when I go back this weekend. I think I tore and cut off all the mat and fabric that had no resin on it to do all my joints

Last edited:

two

It seams I can't get any thing right .The axle is to short .I was going to use a full 48'' wide ply wood. To have a 56'' trailer. This trailer will be 52'' wide. I got the R48 & R24 corners & 90%.
.I feel that will let the ply bend the easiest . With the Corners I have. There a lot of shape I can build .

s4xh14.jpg

two

If i was going to build a fast trailer I do a round trailer with 6 ea R48 and a hf trailer
18dws8.jpg
Something like this HOBBIT HOUSE
2rz2byd.jpg

Last edited:

two

I believe by using the R24'' and R48'' and a 90% you have a lot of teardrop shapes choose from. . by using just the R24 & 48'' You can do the BEENROY With the 90% you can do the box trailers.

elb09x.jpg

two

Driving 75mi one way .One day a week gives to much time to think. It's seams most small trailers have just strait line's tided to curves.
The manufacturer of the fiberglass Modular fiberglass component kit will make tabs for 3 trailers . So I will go with some thing like these trailers .I will be doing the top part of this camper .It will use twoR48'' & a few R90
24eb0r9.jpg

14kyu1c.jpg

Then the 58
1zdbswj.jpg

Last edited:

two

Serro Scotty Sportsman Jr.style

Serro Scotty Sportsman Jr.style
I had about 20 minuets laying out the three curves . There R24'' from a Modular fiberglass component kit. So any 1/8 ply wood will bend around the roof line.
Used a full R24'' for the front top .
On the back end 'just trimmed two small pieces from one piece of R24''. Just need to add the strait pieces .

image.php

image.php

Will start the wedge shape trailer this following weekend .
Will be using R48'' and some small pieces of R24'' for the front
IN the back will use the three way 90.
When I get the fiberglass "wiley windows I will know how big to make the doors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier