Which Subaru is best off-road?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Having spent 180k beating the stuffing out of our prior Legacy hauling racing sailboats camping gear and today 60k hauling two kids + assorted crap and Trailer hands down OB is the only subaru option heavy enough to haul gear and retain some level of ground clearance and ability of any use for rough road use. I like the XV actually but could only see it working as a Dad only light escape pod machine. Talking packing light for a quick weekend solo trip. Not a heavy big extended all things trip which case OB.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Future proofing my auto options? Looking at replacing the wifes DD with a lightly used GLK 250 Blutech. My thoughts? She drives about 6k a yr when she wants a new rig I can have the 3500lb tow rating and the 360lb foot grunt in a tight little dad escape pod ;-) No jeep but no way wifes ever going to let a jeep into our fleet. 3rd Machine is our 4x4 mini van sequoia its nice but I will take the Subaru "every" time for a trip if we fit. Its just superior getting from point A to B than the Sequoia not counting the rock crawling.

frank84

Observer
I have a crosstrek and I'd shy away from that for any off road use and would say to give one of the xmode systems a try on the larger vehicles if you must have a subaru. For off road and slippery conditions the computer logic behind the stability/traction control program is terrible with mine (5-speed, cvt may be different?). The 2.0 also has no bottom end torque and the suspension travel down travel is seriously lacking. I'd also stay away from the manual trans if you do much low speed crawling since you'll be slipping the clutch a lot.

Having said all that, I like mine and it is a great DD and all weather commuter. But there are better options (even within the subaru line up) for off road use in my opinion.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
the new gen car are leaps and bounds over hte old gen in the AWD system . xmode and even the standard programming gets almost rid of the diagonal wheelspin issues plagued with older models. the cars now use the brakes to act like an LSD to get the opposite wheels turning in situations like sand and mud etc

the big issue for you is going to be ride quality. A decently equipped outback (second level up is what i got) with eyesight and power liftgate (my only two required options), no leather, is the same price as the forester 3rd model up) with xmode (xmode is standard on all outbacks), the HK radio (standard one super sucks, and ugly) and leather (have to have leather to get xmode)

the forester is a horrible ride compared to the outback. i drove them back to back and we were instantly turned off. they haev the same ground clearance, approach and dep angles are a bit different, but with the refinements in the outback (quieter, smoother, more cargo area, built in cargo racks if its something you want, more default features, dual climate control on the lower models) id get the outback. I actually went in there with all intentions of getting a forester too....if it matters.

SpaceWrangler

the 2010-2014 3.6r outback with the jatco 5eat tranny and vtd is hard to beat offroad. i wouldn't consider anything with a cvt tranny for serious off road use.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've had the pleasure of spending the last week in a Subaru Outback on loan from their press fleet. I've spent the entire week testing it on the same tracks where I have tested other small vehicles like the new Cherokee, our lifted Patriot, etc. We also put 800 miles on the Outback in that time even hitting some of the trails around Idyllwild, CA.

As others have said, the Outback, Crosstrek and Forester have similar clearance, but the Outback has a significant wheelbase, so break over is a challenge over the other models. The front fascia is also a considerable limiter when things get rough. That said, the Outback in premium trim as we've been testing is as nice a car as I have driven in quite some time. We knocked down a 7 hour drive in complete comfort, wrapped in leather, adaptive cruise control nearly driving the car by itself.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll have a full write up of my impressions of the Outback on the home page in a few days.

And yes, I love my job. Spending an entire week evaluating a car, and nothing else, is really interesting.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
this all being said however
xterra for instance has a 106" wheelbase, ground clearance of 8.1", 187" length
outback has 108" wheelbase, 8.7" ground clearance, 190" overall length (i have 9.7 with the larger tires)

so it really negates any breakover...especially as i think this site said the xterra is one of the best overlanding vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier