Which Subaru is best off-road?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Which current production Subaru is most capable off-road?

Forester has the most clearance. The awd is he same with all of them. In the auto when you put it in 1st or 2nd gear it splits the power 50 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheViking

Adventurer
Performance wise look for the pink lettering but if your wanting something that is more suited for overlanding then look at the wagons specifically the Forester.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
there is so much the second person said that is false

currently with the new CVT and Xmode the outback is most CAPABLE. best is subjective.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
there is so much the second person said that is false

currently with the new CVT and Xmode the outback is most CAPABLE. best is subjective.

Why don't you respond to what I said is wrong? I've owned two forester and what I said is correct for the 2009-2013 model. Also the new forester has xmode

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
new forester uses a traditional trans which doesnt kick into low range like the CVT version does. hence why i said for NOW the outback is more capable

calicamper

Expedition Leader
tmp_1419-IMG_20140804_124154-552920651.jpgLoL very entertaining so far. Entry and departure angles on an empty key word here "empty" Subaru was owned by the old gen Forester. Today considering load hauling ability in "overlander" mode the larger capacity Legacy platform in OutBack wagon format gives you the biggest capacity vs ability. VS the smaller Impreza lighter platform Forester.

All Subaru AWD ATs have taken a 50/50 split in 1st and 2nd gear. The CVT is no different. Xmode is just advanced logic to address keeping wheels rotating even with vehicle skid/ sliding etc.
My prior 180,000 miles with the Subaru 5spd MT as great but it was a basic dumb 50/50 unless wheel spin took place which was interesting on slick icy or snowy surfaces engine braking just lifting off the throttle would swing the rear wheel out. Used right it was great for getting tailgating SUV and Pickups to back off. The 2010 CVT so far cvt has been really good both towing, Sierra trips and off road given its torque converter and huge ratio range. Always in the happy zone its really nice very good match to the utility aspect of the OB or Forester. Canyon carving and really laying it down give me my old 5spd Legacy GT Lightyears superior for ripping through the canyon. Off road and towing give me the CVT. The 4spd old AT auto tragic was durable thats it nothing else can be said about thd old 4spd being good. The 5spd AT was nice but way dated today.

Last edited:

SNOWDOZER

Adventurer
Just going off what is being sold on the Subaru web site plus I just bought a XV Crosstrek for my wife this morning. I asked them which one has the most clearance and the answer is what is said above. I'm taking medication for my alleged "craziness" but have to ask. Are you running the recomended tire size or a larger tire.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Just going off what is being sold on the Subaru web site plus I just bought a XV Crosstrek for my wife this morning. I asked them which one has the most clearance and the answer is what is said above. I'm taking medication for my alleged "craziness" but have to ask. Are you running the recomended tire size or a larger tire.

On the forester? I don't have it anymore. But it was bone stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94