Which Subaru is best off-road?

Joash

Adventurer
I was wondering if the Forrester was better than the Outback b/c of the Outback's long hood getting in the way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arclight

SAR guy
I would also echo the statement below - get the automatic if you expect to go up anything soft or steep off-road. My WRX was pretty good once you got it rolling, but you would have to slip the clutch hard to get it going from a stop. Also, the approach angles are still the achilles heel of Subarus.

Arclight

I put 180k on my Legacy and took it through stuff that would stop a heavy Sienna in its tracks. OB is slightly more capable with the added ground clearance I tend to drive the OB like I did the Legacy off road any rough spots where rocky ledges were in play you need to check your entry and departur points to avoid tearing up plastic bits. But from a traction stand point nothing stops them other than getting hung up on some thing. The AT is better than the MT regarding steep climbs with the Subaru. The Torque Converter takes up a lot of slack were the MT clutch you have no option and slipping a clutch isnt how you drive a MT. My prior Legacy was the 5spd MT we towed trailers and did countless off pavent miles Zero issues except I knew my big limit was MT gearing vs hill climb ability. The CVT not my choice has turned out to be awesome sure changed my perception of the cvt. 60k on ours no complaints. 60k drain fill on the cvt at the dealer!! No its not life time fluid.

Joash

Adventurer
It's between the Forester and the Outback. Since the Outback has more cargo room, that will probably tip the scales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

JWP58

If you're looking at just cruising Blm/F.S. roads, a Subaru will do just fine. Get some good tires (maybe a full size spare), and you'll be fine. Interior cargo space is going to be the deciding factor.

The wife's Crosstrek avg's 31-32mpg on long road trips, can haul two dogs and my hunting gear, and can handle dirt roads just fine. It makes for a good long distance trip car.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
you just saw it go everywhere a jeep did, some decently tough trails in certain parts. thats without a lift. once i get my lift, short of rock crawling, no reason i cant keep up

otis24

Observer
you just saw it go everywhere a jeep did, some decently tough trails in certain parts. thats without a lift. once i get my lift, short of rock crawling, no reason i cant keep up

Cool video. I really like the perspective being able to see what the driver is doing and having vehicles in the scene.

Outback scan go loads of places. I've done a few road trips with an '03 outback that involved some pretty rough roads. I was impressed. We did however reach the limit of what it could do a few times. Even so, sweet cars.

dman93

Adventurer
I had a 2nd gen Forester and it always exceeded my expectations off road. However manual transmission + limited ground clearance makes crawling difficult if you want to limit both clutch slip and bashing the undercarriage, so if I ever get another Sube it will be AT or CVT. One huge advantage of Subarus compared to any other AWD car or CUV is the ready availability of lift kits (various sources) and skid plates (from Primitive Racing).

-dman93

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne