Expo Trailer Build flatbed, rooftop tent, teardrop style kitchen box on back

bluebruin

Adventurer
I like this trailer! The wine storage is nice (every trailer needs wine storage. ).

I was concerned about trail damage on the underside of the sink. It seems like the spare tire will greatly assist in the protection, but do you have any further plans for protecting the underside of the sink?

not really. with about 28" of clearance I think it will be ok. you are right, the tire protects it a bit. If it gets damaged its easy to replace. I have the other half the sink I chopped in half. Could Add a skid plate I guess. Might do that if I ever damaged this one and put in the backup.

bluebruin

Adventurer
mounted my AT jerry can holders.
vsQETrSaUnghKqTxdIxwSXnExcRgiUZdYRcCFsMHeSKZ=w1118-h629-no

cwm

Observer
Unless I missed it you have a problem with the location of your propane tank. Is there a vent for the propane tank?

Propane is a heaver gas so if you ever have a leak the gas will pool in the bottom of that compartment. Propane compartments need a vent at the bottom so the gas can escape. A vent at the top may not clear the gas.

bluebruin

Adventurer
Unless I missed it you have a problem with the location of your propane tank. Is there a vent for the propane tank?

Propane is a heaver gas so if you ever have a leak the gas will pool in the bottom of that compartment. Propane compartments need a vent at the bottom so the gas can escape. A vent at the top may not clear the gas.

hmm yes that's true. upon further reflection, I am thinking of relocating the propane tank. I'll have to buy a longer hose, but perhaps mounted directly above my stove is no the best spot for a propane tank anyway :)~ Maybe I can mount it up front on the tongue to help with my weight distribution issue, and gain some valuable dry storage space in the kitchen box in the process.

bluebruin

Adventurer
just ordered this. going to try to mount tank up front on the draw bar in front of my truck box tool box.
61DUUtYJh9L._SL1200_.jpg

edit. I think I will mount to one of the RTT rack vertical supports. I doubt my tailgate on the jeep will open if I put the propane in that location.

yesterday, I mounted the tent to the rack. Didn't snap any photos as the weather was turning bad. been snowing here for 2 days solid, hard to make much progress.

Just went into the garage and welded up a rack out of some scrap metal to mount the truck box on the draw bar. once it dries up outside, I will weld on the rack and make a mount for the propane tank. Not much left after that to make the trailer camping ready. need to do a few more road tests for sway etc.

Might need to get a new jack. The one I modified has a lot of adjustability, but also a lot of play in the multiple joints. So, its not super stable. might be problematic when using the roof top tent without the trailer attached to the jeep.

Last edited:

bluebruin

Adventurer
picked up some plastic cannisters at the dollar store.
20150424_202709.jpg

made a new coffee pot holder. I have a french press type thermos from REI that we use. makes great coffee.
20150424_202701.jpg

hot pads from the dollar store. these are to protect the HDPE prep counter which would melt if you put a hot pot on it.
Kmu1nMH7L09GZdoYA-ANQUm9vyC0x6431dpAZmMg47zu=w1118-h629-no

built a storage bin for three things which don't fit in drawers.
1. cutting boards
2. cast iron griddle
3. step stool (not in picture) for my short wife to reach all the drawers :)
it is hinged. so you tip it forward to pull out the tall stuff, since otherwise it hits the underside of the drawers above. Need to fabricate a latch. I think I will use a spring loaded pull pin.

vaiBMg8nWstiPW00suOUqA849vy3db58VM7dFc9zlIQl=w1118-h629-no

bluebruin

Adventurer
tested out my front rack. fits the truck box nicely. that's where I'll store tools and wheel choks etc. As you can see, it will hit the corner of my bumper before the tents collide. I'll add some EPDM rubber bumpers to the corners of the rack to protect the powder coat on the jeep, but I should feel a good bump before I do any damage to anything.
20150427_191128.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
i had some scrap double P EPDM rubber extrusion from work. Used this to make my bumpers.
20150428_193125.jpg

Welded my propane mount on. Decided to move the truck box to one side, and mount the propane tank down low. My COG on this trailer is bad enough as it is, the RTT rack post did not seem like a good idea. Glad there was room for it down low.
20150428_193205.jpg

awol

Observer
Have you been checking the clearance between the RTT's on something other than a level surface?

bluebruin

Adventurer
Have you been checking the clearance between the RTT's on something other than a level surface?

no not really. that's a good point. I think it would mostly still work. Guess I'll find out. I'll have to be careful. I can always add a vertical post on the corner of that rack to make sure that corner doesn't slip under the bumper.

bluebruin

Adventurer
nearing completion. Did another road test last night. The swaying is much improved with the weight of the tent, the the front rack/truck box, and the propane tank up front.

Installed propane tank
20150430_080003.jpg

Harbor Freight solid rubber wheel choks for when we are disconnected and parked. I deployed the camper top with trailer disconnected. Its actually quite stable. Not much worse than the bit of shaking you feel in the RTT on the top of the jeep.
20150430_080023.jpg

Got this at a garage sale last summer. Added for fun. Its probably from an old Willys Wagon jeep....
20150430_080032.jpg

The latches that hold the kitchen box shut. Nice feature is they have a padlock spot, to keep them from popping open on the trail, and keep people out when in town or a hotel or something.
20150430_080048.jpg

Added a solar light. Here is the solar panel. Put it on a magnet mount so I can move it around at camp to follow the sun. The light is mounted inside the box under the drawers to put light on the stove and sink.
20150430_080348.jpg

Some shots of everything setup. No awning for now, not in the budget.
20150430_075956.jpg

20150430_075936.jpg

20150430_075946.jpg

wkd7_wh1LwFKNA5svo-48INMZqRBABfw2x4YF7dVxrvx=w487-h865-no

D5fgWsMHFKw201FWzH0YYk9Cly3ANABtO8qLewZjGjhM=w1538-h865-no

20150430_080117.jpg

20150430_080145.jpg

20150430_080128.jpg

Not much left to do. Just need to glue the plumbing lines into place from tank to sink and test. Might figure out a better jack. I just modified the one that was on there to allow for more height adjust ability. Only thing left to do is go camping and try it all out! I'm sure I'll come back with a laundry list of things to fix. That's usually how it goes.

Septu

Explorer
Looks great.

Question re the tents being the first point of contact in a tight turn. Why is the RTT on the JK so far back? I'm sure there's a reason, but moving that forward would resolve that.

warejn

Observer
I thought I saw a different trailer. I live up by Maxwell Falls and I have been checking out your old trailer for a while.

The build looks great. The drawers and details are great. I am guessing this rain will give it a good test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior