'05 2500hd Rock/Rub Rails

Wilbah

Adventurer
Really nice work! This looks great. Do you recall any specs on the various size metal you used? wall etc for the rectangular tubing....the round tubing- are the pieces connecting the rock rail to the frame the same size/thickness as the "step rails" on the outside? Obviously stout enough if you were able to jack the vehicle from the side. I also like the idea of bolt on versus weld on should you have to/want to remove them in the future for repair etc. Thanks for sharing!

How do you like the rack? I like the strength of those versus ones that bolt to the cap but worry about the overhang on the sides. Anny issue with it catching on branches etc on trails?

Last edited:

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
Really nice work! This looks great. Do you recall any specs on the various size metal you used? wall etc for the rectangular tubing....the round tubing- are the pieces connecting the rock rail to the frame the same size/thickness as the "step rails" on the outside? Obviously stout enough if you were able to jack the vehicle from the side. I also like the idea of bolt on versus weld on should you have to/want to remove them in the future for repair etc. Thanks for sharing!

How do you like the rack? I like the strength of those versus ones that bolt to the cap but worry about the overhang on the sides. Anny issue with it catching on branches etc on trails?

The rails mount using (3) 5x5x1/4" plates and (1) 5x2 1/2x 1/4" plate on each side. They are triangulated both front and rear as well as up and down as I was able and still have access to the bolts.
The round tubing is all .095 1 1/2", I'd have preferred .120 wall, and thought I'd replace it later, but in retrospect, don't think they'll need replaced, I'll know more after this weekend spent in the Ozarks running around with a bunch of Jeeps and Toyotas.

I love my rack. Use it all the time. The mounting plates are frenched into 2x3x1/4" angle that I ran around the top of the bed. I lowered it 2" and sleeved/narrowed it 3" as well as added some expanded metal and 1" supports for a work/storage platform over the campershell. The overhangs catch a little on tight stuff, but offer some protection as well. In the next couple weeks I plan on adding a rub rail similar to the one on the rockers between the upright legs on the rack (at bed level) and it will stick out about 4" or so from the sides. That will allow protection as well as a catwalk for access to the top without having to climb all the way up on top.

Wilbah

Adventurer
The rails mount using (3) 5x5x1/4" plates and (1) 5x2 1/2x 1/4" plate on each side. They are triangulated both front and rear as well as up and down as I was able and still have access to the bolts.
The round tubing is all .095 1 1/2", I'd have preferred .120 wall, and thought I'd replace it later, but in retrospect, don't think they'll need replaced, I'll know more after this weekend spent in the Ozarks running around with a bunch of Jeeps and Toyotas.

I love my rack. Use it all the time. The mounting plates are frenched into 2x3x1/4" angle that I ran around the top of the bed. I lowered it 2" and sleeved/narrowed it 3" as well as added some expanded metal and 1" supports for a work/storage platform over the campershell. The overhangs catch a little on tight stuff, but offer some protection as well. In the next couple weeks I plan on adding a rub rail similar to the one on the rockers between the upright legs on the rack (at bed level) and it will stick out about 4" or so from the sides. That will allow protection as well as a catwalk for access to the top without having to climb all the way up on top.

That's great thanks for the info! I really like all your mods. Very nice work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles