Trout Creek, Northwest Arizona

mkitchen

Explorer
Date March: 28, 2015
Area: South of I 40, East of Hwy 93
Difficulty: 2.5 on a 5 scale
Run Time: 8 hours with numerous stops

Once a year I put on a ride for our local 4 wheel drive club. The Aquarius Mountains, though close, seldom get much attention so that is where we went this time. I was surprised to see 12 vehicles show up. That is a bit bigger group than I prefer but it worked out well. This trip in not difficult at all but is very scenic. I added an additional loop that took us by the cow camp at Ash Creek as well. One of the alluring things about this ride is the amount of cabins and old homesteads along the way.

2vb55w7.jpg

Another is all the water crossings. Being in Arizona, I have a thing for seeing water either creek, river, lake or springs. I am always seeking out one or the other. It is really amazing just how much water is in this state. Here we are crossing a small wash, but alas, this one is empty.

1569wmw.jpg

Though the scenery was good, I, as usual, failed in taking the good picture. Trust me though when I say that this area is worth visiting. I am thinking very seriously about hosting my next Old Iron Run through here. Hat Band Mountain in the background of this shot.

2mxo178.jpg

There was no shortage of shade along this route. We saw juniper, pinon and lots of cottonwoods.

ok4uub.jpg

We had one wash crossing that was a bit challenging but we all made it through.

20gfat0.jpg

k4gs53.jpg

The lunch spot came up just after the crossing. You could not ask for a nicer spot to eat lunch, surrounded by shade trees and Trout creek in front of you to play in.

504b5s.jpg

23k2k39.jpg

After lunch we had to backtrack for a couple of miles then we headed north, over to Ash Creek.

2i6hytc.jpg

This one bowl was pretty neat looking but the picture does not do it justice.

2135010.jpg

Ash Creek, it runs year round as does Trout Creek.

23hpxdz.jpg

j163yv.jpg

Yep, another cabin.

xo056f.jpg

Even Arizona has it's own bit of slick rock. There is actually quite a bit of it on this road.

2gx1g12.jpg

So if you ever get in this neck of the woods (desert?) this area is certainly worth a look see. Kingman has six different mountain ranges around it though so there are a lot of great trails to explore. I have been here for 30 years and still have yet to see them all.
Mikey

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Nice trip. Sooo when is the next old iron run? I'm hoping to have one of my old jeeps done by fall or next spring and make it down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior