Just looking for opinions

AZBuman

Hello all, I've been lurking awhile and this is my first post. I have a little bit of a situation I would like your opinions on. I am trying to choose between two cruisers and I have no idea which way to go. Here is a little background on me. I have 3 kids (7, 3, and 16 months) 2 large dogs plus my wife and I. I need this truck to be my daily drive on days of bad weather when I don't ride my bike to work, commute is about 5 miles. I am active duty Army so the truck will need to be able to drive across the US in all different types of climate, which is one big reason I settled on the LC. And in a few years I will need it haul us around Arizona full time.

I want it to be drivable right away with no mods, I will make mods to it as time goes on but probably not for the first couple of years. I do a lot of hunting, mountain biking, family camping trips, and just plain exploring so I know this truck will be able to do that. So without further ado here is what I am looking at, I would like any and all's opinion on which you would consider if you were in my situation.

The first is a 1998 LC with a 2UZ-FE motor, and 141,xxx miles on it. My wife went and looked at it (I am currently in the big sandbox) and really liked it. It has all of the things she likes, but I see little issues that could come up if they quit working. It has a little rust underneath, we do live in the mid-atlantic so that's what you get from all this winter salt. But it has locking center and rear differential. Overall the vehicle seemed to be in very good condition, a local mechanic she took it to gave it a clean bill of health. It seems to have been well maintained and cared for.

The second is a 1991 LC with an I6 motor, not sure the size. Has 219,xxx miles on it and seems to be in immaculate condition. The interior has no rips or tears any where. The engine bay is very clean, and based off of pictures seems to be well maintained. My wife will be going to check it out this week and take it too a mechanic to get it checked out. It has a lot less of the electric features than the 98 but I don't mind that at all.

So anyways that both of them in a nutshell. Both seem to be very good vehicles and a good starting place for someone in my position. If you had to make this decision which way would you go. Price is not an option on either as I can pay for both cash outright but the 1998 is about $2500 more. Thanks everyone.

peneumbra

Explorer
The 100 series will likely be more comfortable and easier to live with on a daily basis. Either truck will probably be more than adequate offroad.

AZBuman

fireball

Explorer
If my crew was that big I'd strongly consider a sequoia. We love our 100 and with 2 kids and one large dog it takes a large Thule roof box to fit our stuff for trips. Any more people or pets inside and we'd need a trailer.

The sequoia is markedly bigger inside and has easier accessed and real world useable 3rd row

Benc

Explorer
If you want to be able to drive the speed limit up hills go with the 100! I have had both and I would say my 91 LC stock was worse than than my built 4cyl 4runner power wise. Right now I have a 2000 100 series and love it! Very comfortable on the long trips and very capable off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doubleroses

Adventurer
We're pretty similar. I'm in Kuwait, my wife and daughter are in CO along with out two dogs. I was looking at 80 and 100 series and eventually went with a 2000 LC. After driving around in the 100 series I'm extremely happy that I went with the 100 series. It's more practical as a DD and Overland Rig than a 80 series would have been for me. If I got a LC for myself I would have gotten the 80 for the solid front and read axel but I think the 100 will do just fine for my intended use. I got my LC from CO too. More selection and less rust issues.

AZBuman

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think the 100 series will be the best. The price is pretty good, he did drop it down to $8500, I just sold a car of mine so that fits nicely in for what I sold it for. Unfortunately there is some rust on the under carriage from the salted roads. But it was not very bad, it all appeared to be surface and had not gotten into making any major issues. It is definitely a problem living in that part of the country, they salt every thing over here. I did find a couple of them back home in Arizona, and those would most likely be rust free, but they were about $3-4000 more expensive.

Thanks again everyone.

fireball

Explorer
if the rust isn't that bad on the 100 and it got a clean bill of health like you said that would definitely be the way to go over the early MY 80-series.

FWIW, $8,500 is a good price if the maintenance has been done and the truck is in good shape. For 10-12k you can probably find something out west that is completely rust free. Did they do the 100k mile service, TB and WP? At that mileage the alternator will likely need replaced soon, PITA job. I bought our 100 with 132k on it and we've been very happy with it. The alternator was the only big item that it's needed in our 2 years of ownership. The thousands of others dollars spent were all discretionary!

AZBuman

I wish I was in AZ, but currently I am stationed out in MD. Sometime the Mid-Atlantic can decided if its spring or winter, or Fall or Winter. Those changing seasons are the worst and the past couple of winters have been bad for this area, not upstate NY bad but MD bad. But year back in AZ the heat is really the only issue to deal with and that's nothing.

AZBuman

Fireball, I am not completely sure about the 100,000 mile service. I am in Kuwait right now so I am a trusting my wife to check things out. I sent here the slee article about inspecting a used vehicle and the mechanic stated everything look mechanically sound. Of course I have nightmares that as soon as it come's home everything goes to crap.

fireball

Explorer
Not sure where exactly your wife is or the truck is. I'm 30' south of harrisburg if I can be of any help. And the guys at main line overland are over in west Chester and a knowledge group. They actually did an inspection on a 100 for me that I ended up not buying in lieu of waiting to find a truly rust free one out in San Diego.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428409464.056697.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier