Waterless Engine Coolant

sylgeist

Observer
Very true!
When I spoke to Evans they also sell special water pumps and rad caps to make use of the product but they recommended against it for off road purposes. Keeping all the mechanical parts stock leaves you the option of running regular water/coolant in an emergency and that seems like a decent compromise for our hobby.

It's funny you mention the bike uses. The only places that sell it locally to me are the motorcycle speed shops. They say it sells well and recommend it. If it's good enough for small motors and big motors why not give it a shot!

SoCal Tom

Explorer
Most of people who say it won't work with out trying it are just stuck in their ways

It's like still using paper maps instead of running a GPS... Both do the same job... Both have their pros and cons but because paper maps have been used for hundreds of years people assume that paper maps are the best form of navigation

It's the same with this... In ten years this stuff might be in vehicles from the factory!

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if you want to use the Evans stuff for its intended use, go for it. It's intended for use on a properly operating cooling system. It not intended as a bandaid for a failing cooling system.
Don't confuse boiling over with over heating. Boiling over is when the coolant temperature exceeds its boiling point at the system pressure. Overheating is when the vehicle creates more heat than the cooling system can get rid of.
If you replace the water based coolant with something like Evans, it will be less efficient at cooling. That means less heat will leave the engine, and more will stay. If you are overheating with water, and you make the system less efficient, then you make the problem worse. It might not boil over, but that won't stop heads from cracking and warping if they get too hot.
Tom

westyss

Explorer
Most of people who say it won't work with out trying it are just stuck in their ways

It's like still using paper maps instead of running a GPS... Both do the same job... Both have their pros and cons but because paper maps have been used for hundreds of years people assume that paper maps are the best form of navigation

It's the same with this... In ten years this stuff might be in vehicles from the factory!

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/down+your+lost+geographer/10304384/story.html :ylsmoke:

Jersey4x4

Adventurer
I never said it was a magic cooling system restorer but on a fully working system the benefits can warrant giving it ago! :)

I have never used it myself but I have heard nothing but good reviews from people that have used it (other then maybe the price) do I will give it a go once my Coolant is due to be changed

They will be running articles in 10 years time that say run water based coolants and reap the rewards of cleaning the rusty sludge from your system as it's a healthy intake on iron you watch! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz