Waterless Engine Coolant

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I was just wondering if anyone here has used Evans waterless coolant in their truck.
This stuff sounds like it could resolve some overheating issues, but never having used it I would not know if that were true or not.
All of the promotional information sounds good, but first hand experience is normally a better guide.

Maninga

Adventurer
Looks interesting, mix of antifreeze and coolant that never needs changing. Have only started to overheat once in the truck, uphill moved into the red, soon as it levelled off went back to normal.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I was just wondering if anyone here has used Evans waterless coolant in their truck.
This stuff sounds like it could resolve some overheating issues, but never having used it I would not know if that were true or not.
All of the promotional information sounds good, but first hand experience is normally a better guide.

Never heard of the stuff!

What does everyone like for their Fusos? I'm considering putting the Peak Final Charge stuff.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've used it. Did not resolve the overheating issue in my 74 Olds Custom Cruiser. It's not worth the cost in my opinion. Its main advantage is its high boiling point which permits the operation of an unpressurized cooling system. However it does not carry away heat better than standard coolant. In fact it's worse on that factor as I recall. You must totally dry out the cooling system before installing Evans.

pugslyyy

I've used it. Did not resolve the overheating issue in my 74 Olds Custom Cruiser. It's not worth the cost in my opinion. Its main advantage is its high boiling point which permits the operation of an unpressurized cooling system. However it does not carry away heat better than standard coolant. In fact it's worse on that factor as I recall. You must totally dry out the cooling system before installing Evans.

Yeah I did some quick research and it seemed like a huge hassle. I guess if you are Jay Leno and have your own mechanics it's probably not that big a deal. :)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Thanks for the feedback Kerry.
I figured that if it were as good as claimed that many more vehicles would be using it and that it would be more common to see it in use. As far as I have seen, it is just Evans that make this product. The cost would be offset by only having to put it once, opposed to changing your glycol based coolant every two years, but I am a little skeptical that it would last 20 years (or more) in an engine.

thethePete

Explorer
^ I'm just dubious of going 20 years without having to crack your cooling system for any other reason. (failed rad, water pump, gasket, head gaskets, etc)

I have a friend who bought it for his high performance diesel, but I don't think he's flushed it into his system yet.

SoCal Tom

Explorer
No liquid has a better heat transfer rate than water. The boiling of water releases massive amounts of heat, so it provides instant cooling at a critical engine temp. 190c is 374f, if your engine is 374 you have a big problem. The only thing this stuff would be good for (imo) is to allow you to run at low pressure. Stuff like this are band aids for a bad cooling system, bite the bullet and fix the problem. If you are having moderate overheating at low speed often a higher temp Themostat can fix the problem.
Tom

jsexton

Observer
No liquid has a better heat transfer rate than water. The boiling of water releases massive amounts of heat, so it provides instant cooling at a critical engine temp. 190c is 374f, if your engine is 374 you have a big problem. The only thing this stuff would be good for (imo) is to allow you to run at low pressure. Stuff like this are band aids for a bad cooling system, bite the bullet and fix the problem. If you are having moderate overheating at low speed often a higher temp Themostat can fix the problem.
Tom

This! Nothing is better than water. If you are having trouble overheating with water alone - you need to re-work the cooling system.

yabanja

Explorer
I am a fan of water/glycol. This is the first I have heard of an overheating problem with these vehicles. Is this common??? Has anyone installed an oil cooler to help with this?

Allan

SoCal Tom

Explorer
This! Nothing is better than water. If you are having trouble overheating with water alone - you need to re-work the cooling system.

Personally, I recommend using at least 20% antifreeze. It provides corrosion prevention and lubrication for the water pump. If you live somewhere where it freezes, then you may need moe to prevent freezing damage.
Tom

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I am a fan of water/glycol. This is the first I have heard of an overheating problem with these vehicles. Is this common??? Has anyone installed an oil cooler to help with this?

Allan

An oil cooler does a great job of keeping oil cool, but it adds very little to the overall cooling of the engine. A trans on an automatic would be a better investment.
To,

pugslyyy

My fuso is recommended for a 70/30 mix instead of 50/50 (2007 FG).

I'm getting ready to flush and replace with Peak Final Charge Global and a dose of Diesel Hy-Per Lube

k2-_3880ff2b-b27a-465c-a1ac-137af7abcaf3.v1.jpg

diesel-super-coolant.jpg

pugslyyy

Allan

It's pretty common for RVs in general to have overheating problems, not just the Fuso specifically. I'm sure that my issues are related to the obstructions to airflow up front (winch, extra lights) and the load. It's something I can life with if I have to, but if I can get some marginal improvement for a little effort I'll do it. I actually considered adding a second radiator but decided that I wasn't that motivated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior