Possible front bumper option for the tundra.

Benc

Explorer
Something to also take into consideration... Looks like you're using a Tundra without flares for the template. My truck had TRD flares, and my Brute Force Fab bumper was made for the width of flares. After I tubbed my firewall, trimmed the fenders, and removed the flares, the bumper stuck out way too far to the sides. I cut it down and welded it back together. I have photos of what it looked like before and after in my build thread.

I was under the impression that the Brute Force Fab 1st gen Tundra bumper was on both access cabs and double cabs. He definitely sent me photos of it on both, and I'd doubt he made two different bumpers.

Thanks, I did the tub job on this tundra as well.
This is one thing I went back and forth on with the 100 series bumper, weather to have the outer wings flush or stick out a little. I do think it looks a little cleaner flush but you loose a lot of protection! In my experience I would have crunched my fenders several times if my bumper didn't stick out from the fenders a little. It also gives a better over all fit for a production bumper. If one vehicle is a little off side to side this will be much less noticeable if the wings are out a little. For these reasons the tundra bumper will stick out about an inch. I think this will look good on the flared and flare less tundras. Any one buying my bumpers will see exactly what I mean the first time they bump the side of the bumper against a tree or rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireball

Explorer
Yes, front bumpers are made to push trees out of the way at least here in the east and especially on big vehicles like Tundras and 100s. If my ARB wouldn't stick out a bit wider than my fenders it would've been a decorative piece instead of functional armor.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
According to Wikipedia the double cab is 4" wider and 3" taller than the access cab. It's not just fender flares.

Benc

Explorer
According to Wikipedia the double cab is 4" wider and 3" taller than the access cab. It's not just fender flares.

Yeah, I saw that but I would assume they measure off the widest point which would be the flares. They are also not clear what version they get those specs from. Some of the ac have flares and some don't, also some came with different tires and different suspension. All these things would play into the width and height. If anyone with a dc could get a measurement from the top of the frame to the bottom of the grill that would be very helpful. I will see what I can do to get my hands on a dc.

mtndude23

Observer
I just got 10 3/4" from top of frame rail to bottom of lens cover. And 9 1/2 from frame to bottom of grille.

Last edited:

seanpistol

Explorer
Here's what mine looked like after I removed the flares.

I chopped it and re-welded it to get it the width I wanted- lined up with the fender.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Yeah, I saw that but I would assume they measure off the widest point which would be the flares. They are also not clear what version they get those specs from. Some of the ac have flares and some don't, also some came with different tires and different suspension. All these things would play into the width and height. If anyone with a dc could get a measurement from the top of the frame to the bottom of the grill that would be very helpful. I will see what I can do to get my hands on a dc.

In the side bar, they list 4x4, 4x2, and trim level. Here is information on Tundra solutions, saying the same thing as Wikipedia, however it looks to be directly from Toyota. It again lists dimensions by transfer case and trim levels. I hope that this helps.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37099&d=1228183005

Last edited:

Benc

Explorer
Thanks!
Based off those specs it looks like the ac limited is the same width as the dc, I'm still confused on the height difference though.
I will have to get my hand on a dc to see what the difference is. Thanks for the link!

Benc

Explorer
Update,
All the drawings are at the laser cutter, just playing the waiting game now. It will probably be a couple weeks till I get my hands on some bumper parts. Once I have some pieces I will try and get my hands on a double cab for a test fit.
Once I get the fit nailed down I will start taking deposits.
Thanks

character zero

dangerfoot
Update,
All the drawings are at the laser cutter, just playing the waiting game now. It will probably be a couple weeks till I get my hands on some bumper parts. Once I have some pieces I will try and get my hands on a double cab for a test fit.
Once I get the fit nailed down I will start taking deposits.
Thanks

Thanks for the update, keep us posted for the DC crowd!

mtndude23

Observer
I just got an e-mail from relentless off road. They have a front bumper for 2000-2002 and one for 2003-2006 tundras. They said the 03-06 fits both AC and DC trucks. So maybe the only difference was the early AC vs the DC.

Benc

Explorer
^^
Interesting,
The first bumper I built was for my brother in laws 2001,
He totaled that truck and bought an 04, we took the bumper off the 01 and put them on the 04 and it bolted right up.

deadbird

Observer
Just checking in to see how things are going..
Any progress pictures, or updates on the Tundra bumpers?
Thanks.

Benc

Explorer
Sorry for the lack of updates! I'm still waiting to get my hands on the wing pieces. I will keep bugging the laser cutter and keep you guys posted. I am still working on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz