Wiring for Engel MT35

rg535

Hello!

I just bought myself an engel, and have a few questions regarding wiring set up to my trunk.

1. I bought a wiring kit that's rated for 15 amps. Will that be enough?
2. Regarding the wiring itself: should I wire both the active wire and ground wire to the battery? Or should I wire the ground directly to the frame?
3. Would it be unsafe to leave this thing run full time in a warm trunk when it's hot out?
4. Has anyone had any experience running one of these off of one car battery? How long will the battery last and still be able to start the car?

Thanks in advance!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
1. It should be. IIRC the 35's compressor has a roughly 2.5A draw, mine's on a 10A fused circuit.

2. Grounding to the frame is "good enough," but to the battery (or distribution block) is always best.
2a. Conduit is your friend. I never run wire without putting it in split-loom.

3. The fridge can take it, assuming your battery is up to the task.

4. Mine runs off a Group 31M for about 3 days with no issues starting the truck. 4 days is a little risky, but doable. Realistically, I wouldn't want to go more than 2 days due to the strain on the battery (it shortens the battery's lifespan)

AndrewP

Explorer
Hello!

I just bought myself an engel, and have a few questions regarding wiring set up to my trunk.

1. I bought a wiring kit that's rated for 15 amps. Will that be enough?
2. Regarding the wiring itself: should I wire both the active wire and ground wire to the battery? Or should I wire the ground directly to the frame?
3. Would it be unsafe to leave this thing run full time in a warm trunk when it's hot out?
4. Has anyone had any experience running one of these off of one car battery? How long will the battery last and still be able to start the car?

Thanks in advance!

1-More than enough. Max it draws 3 amps, you'll be fine. But if you had posted first, I'd advise to forget the wiring "kit" and run your own 10 gauge wires. You'll need an appropriate fuse at the battery. If you do nothing else, fuse it at the battery. You want to minimize voltage drop, so heavier gauge wire is your friend.

2-You should wire to the battery and forget about chassis grounds. They will work fine at first but a bit of grime and corrosion and your chassis grounds are a source of headaches.

3-It will run basically continuously, so I'm not sure what is being asked. It won't hurt anything but it will not cool well and consume it's maximum power.

4-Yes, but it's chancy. If you have a good battery, and you're driving most of every day, you will likely get away with it. But you are shortening the life of a normal starting battery.

Just remember that a starting battery should experience minimal discharge, and a deep cycle can discharge about 50% without damage.

brian90744

American Trekker
I agree with AndrewP =Run one 10G wire the trunk, Run a ground from the trunk to car frame. I installed a Cig/Aux outlet in the trunk, so I can plug the refrig in easy. Remember the refrig needs room to breath, don't stack stuff around the air intake/outlet of the refrig. A new car starter battery will last 2 days max. Just FYI=brian

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I run a DH Marine 31 and left my Engel 35 on for two weeks, the FZJ80 fired right up and still had cold beer in the back. Does life get any better than that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz