New guy, new build.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
New guy here, thought I would say hi and start a thread on my build. My build is somthing most would not consider using, hold on to your hats, its a 1974 International 3/4 ton pick up. Yeah I know am I nuts , yeah a bit.
Well lets see so far, its been updated to a chevy 4in lift and 35s. Its also got a 87 chevy front axle so I can get brake parts. Its been in and out of my shop for almost a year as I have pulled the nose, windsheild, dash and doors so I could replace the rusted steel. Now comes the fun stuff, starting this week the 392 and 727 are being pulled and in there place is going a 92 7.3 with a zf 5 speed. Its also going to be run on veggie.
Lots more to come ,
Paul

Mobryan

Adventurer
They're all coming out of the woodwork now.... :D :D

Best of luck with that 74, I understand your pain about 74-75 brake parts :smilies27

What camper are you planning on using? Any plans for skidplating the gas tanks? that's always been a weak spot of the PU's, IMO.

Why bother with the ZF??? you can bolt an IH 5 speed on the back, and they are a bunch stronger, with better ratios.

Matt

lowenbrau

Explorer
Everybody had a vehicle they wish they hadn't sold and I've been through more than my share but the one I really miss is my 1966 International 3/4 ton, four door, 4 wheel drive, short box.

Good luck with the build.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Wow I really did not expect any intrest in this build ! Lets see if I can address some of the questions, gas tank skid plates, I only have the right side factory tank that will hold my supply of deisel. My thoughts are to build some sliders and build off of those for my skid plates. I have also put a 33 gal Blazer tank between the frame rails behind the rear axle. That will be heated and hold my veggie. The zf, well thats what I have. I got the motor and trans from a customer. Thay have only 60k on them and it only cost me a few hours of my time cuting them out of the truck. My thoughts are I will run it till it blows the see whats out there to replace it. As for a camper, I have run caps with sleeping platforms for years, My folks brought me up that way for quick weekends away. I am not sure if thats what I will do on this build. I might do that or build kind of a slide in cap. Just need room for me and 70lbs of lab.( on a side note, , back in 03 me and my godson did a trip fron Boston out to S.d. and on to Durango with a 96 chevy with a cap and sleeping platform. what a great time. )
Well got to run , thanks for making me feel welcome and more to come.
Oh and by the way , the name of the truck is the Time Machine. Ill explane that in a later post.
Paul

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Were did the name come from ? When I bought the old girl she was in milkcrates. It took me 3 years of on again off again work to get her up and running. As she started taking shape I had a vision in my head, ( no voices thoughe, lol ). I wanted it to look like smothing that was roaming around when I was a kid. On when the 4 in lift , old 5 slot wheels , 35s , and twin cb antenas. Brought me back to high school, just like a time machein.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Well I ran her that way for about a year, never got her in paint , never got the ac working, yep has or had factory ice. I then opened my own truck repair service in early 04 and she sat waiting for me to finish her up.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Then last spring I thought I should go to Ohio for the 100 b day of International. So I bought a Hot rod air ac/heat system . Took the old girl to the shop and took out the old system . I looked up under the dash, and what a mess. These old IH trucks tend to rust out the cowel area. So out came the dash, then the windshield, then the nose, and last, off came the doors. The more rust I fixed the more I found to fix.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I did go to Ohio but I took the trail rig instead, a 1972 Scout. Had a great time but thats a story for another thread.
Then the fall rolled in, My shop get very busy in the fall rite through late spring. So the truck was put out side and covered for the winter. As fuel prices started to go up I started thinking about wvo and the 7.3 I had on the stand in my shop. So now the truck has made her way back into the shop. I have starting collecting parts for the up coming swap and wvo convertion.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I am going to go through some of the work I have already done. First out went the old mouse trap bench seat, and inn went a set of windstar bucket seats and Bronco center console. Though that is all going away now as I am puting in a set of leather heated Explorer seats. As I said before I put a 33 gal Blazer tank between the rear frame rails. I then cut the factory fill out of the left front fender and welded it in the right 1/4. I also put a chevy lift in the front and built my own spring useing factory IH stuff and chevey stuff to get a 4in lift. Then I added a 87 k20 front axle so I can get brake parts. 74/75 Ih disc rotors, if you can find them are $200 and up.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I have also updated the factory gauges with new 2 1/16 in ones, I removed the factory ones from there mounting pods and installed the new gauges there so once the dash is put back together it will look factory at a glance.Well thats about where I stand rite now. I do have lots of photos at the shop, when I can find some time at work I will add them to this thread.
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles