American Series Land Rovers.....

GREENI

Adventurer
In the UK we don't really have 'built' Series Land Rovers, that are used for 'wheelin' (as you say)!

I've seen a few pictures here and there of a few Series trucks being used and they look really neatly built. Eg. below.

Is there anybody here who has one, or can point me in the right direction to build threads?
Once my current project is done, I'm thinking of building a US inspired Series for here in the UK.
Thanks.

image.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Pretty much everything you have likely seen (including the above 80") was built by Timm Cooper.

If you google image search timm cooper rover you will find photos and backlinks to a lot of information.

This is one of my favorites:

fea41d6a0a0eac4fce353ceface92375.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Haha! Jeff, I haven't seen a photo of my old tan 88" in a long time. That was just before I swapped in Toyota axles and power steering. Then, the frame broke in half. (rusted through from the inside out) :(

tacr2man

Adventurer
Before you get too carried away , most of the ones shown would not be legal for use in the UK , and the early series, and even some of the later ones are getting quite pricey to buy , if you go on some of the series forums there are a few built to offroad, but a lot of people migrated to coils as they became affordable . Must admit they do have a more rugged appeal for some reason :)

GREENI

Adventurer
I appreciate what you're saying, the wheels do stick out a bit, I love the Series 1 in the first pic above, though I was looking for spec, axles/suspension etc, as it has massive travel.
I've had many coil sprung Series comp safari and CCVT motors, as well as fully lockered, twin winch Defenders, as well as Ed Cobley's old td5 Ibex.
Though I spend more time on here and watching US videos, than UK sites, the US motors have a certain 'flair'.
I'm currently restoring a very early 90, though I'm already getting plans together for a series. I want to keep it on cart suspension, though it has to be useable.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This one's on cart springs and is another one of my favorites. Timm Cooper strikes again. I believe it has a 6.0L LQ9 V8
attachment.php

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I appreciate what you're saying, the wheels do stick out a bit, I love the Series 1 in the first pic above, though I was looking for spec, axles/suspension etc, as it has massive travel.
I've had many coil sprung Series comp safari and CCVT motors, as well as fully lockered, twin winch Defenders, as well as Ed Cobley's old td5 Ibex.
Though I spend more time on here and watching US videos, than UK sites, the US motors have a certain 'flair'.
I'm currently restoring a very early 90, though I'm already getting plans together for a series. I want to keep it on cart suspension, though it has to be useable.

That 80" belongs to Mike Slade. Its an 80" with RRC/D1 axles, LT95 and SBC.

another.

attachment.php

-Jeff

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
Its not quite Greenlaning, that's for sure. I think I like that my Series trundles along gravel roads and that's all I ask! I have to say the photos are impressive though.

GREENI

Adventurer
It would just be nice to have a capable series.
Thanks Jeff and Adam for the info, I'd give a golden pig for that Red Safari!

Keep them coming :)

LR Max

Local Oaf
I often dream about sticking a Gen 4 Chevy V8 or a Gen 5 Chevy V6 with a 6 speed auto in my 109. Atlas behind it then run through a pair of CUCV axles. Coil over long arms in the front and probably leafs in the rear. Maybe long arm coils. Either way something heavy duty since I do dumb things with it.

Standardize on 35x12.50 tires and roll out.

Maybe one day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier