Finding low miles vans for SMB style builds

(beans)

Observer
Whats the secret?

There were millions of these produced, and very little changed over the years... should be a ton of them available... at better prices than I'm seeing on the regular vehicle search sites.

Any luck haggling these down on lots? How did you guys find your base vehicle?

(beans)

Observer
And what years should I be looking for? I want the longer body style, 7.3 diesel... but is there a difference besides windows in the passenger vs cargo specific vans that would impeded a nice build?

haven

Expedition Leader
I use Autotrader and Craigslist to search for vehicles...even when I'm just looking!

How about this 2000 E-250 with high top roof, extended body, gas V8 and 60k miles for $7900. It has a wheelchair lift, which you could remove and sell to reduce the price.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=395910141

The 7.3L diesel models are more than 13 years old now, and most have high miles. The 7.3 is well known for durability, so the prices are high. There are exceptions. Here's a 1998 E-350 short body SRW, with 7.3L diesel and 90K miles for $8000.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=397240282

(beans)

Observer
I use Autotrader and Craigslist to search for vehicles...even when I'm just looking!

How about this 2000 E-250 with high top roof, extended body, gas V8 and 60k miles for $7900. It has a wheelchair lift, which you could remove and sell to reduce the price.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=395910141

The 7.3L diesel models are more than 13 years old now, and most have high miles. The 7.3 is well known for durability, so the prices are high. There are exceptions. Here's a 1998 E-350 short body SRW, with 7.3L diesel and 90K miles for $8000.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=397240282

Thank you for the links! I really appreciate that! I'm all over those sites too. :) The search will be as epic an adventure as the trips we're planning in this beast once its together!

86scotty

Cynic
Are you looking for a newer van (as in, say, 2008 or newer) or an older van, say 1992-2007? They were the same basic body style from 1992 up, but I would recommend looking for at least a 1997 up with the updated dash, OBDII (for a scanner or tuner, which started in 1996), etc. I would post what exactly you are looking for and someone here will help you find it. Sportsmobile Forum or Ford Truck Enthusiast forums are also good places to look and ask. The 'found vans' thread here (in the 2/4wd camper van section) is probably the most up-to-the-minute place to find vans, and you can take note of a few users that are helpful and always finding stuff, Bbasso comes to mind. When searching Craigslist I search 'Ford E350', which is the full one-ton van that a majority of conversions or what you would want to convert will be. You can't do much with an E150 because of the weight limits and that will mostly show you beat up white work vans or ugly conversion vans. E350 is where you will find stronger power plants, such as diesels and V10s, and better contenders for conversion whether you want a passenger (club wagon) with all the windows and rear air or a cargo van.
Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. PM em if you feel silly. We're all van geeks here.

:)

Campbulance

Observer
I looked for around 5 months before I found what I wanted, extended van with a duramax.

Me too. Don't Count the Chevy/GMC Vans out. The Diesels are harder to find in GM. Ford's dominated the van world and IMO I love the look of them. The Ultimate reason I went Express was The EB vans actually move the rear axle back as well. Aesthetically looks better than the big overhang the Ford's have. The long wheel base is supposedly better for towing and from what I have heard drives and the Duramax Diesel is a rock solid platform compared to the 6.0L Diesels in the Ford and can be had newer than the older 7.3's. Mine is a fairly high mileage van at 220k but feels solid still and is a 2008 model. Bonus was it was $11k and 20 miles from my house. I feel like I can build my camper and not worry about resale costs or ruining it too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz