Payload Weight and MPG's

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Not scientific by any means but I make frequent trips to the same destination and back during a year. Fuel usage is always greater on the return trip. The reason why? Prevailing winds.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Less weight is almost always better. Rest is subject to far too many variables for an asbergers formula.

My old pickup's fuel economy scarcely fluctuates, empty or loaded. I drive too fast on the highway with it for any real difference to be evident.

Just save weight anywhere you don't need structural strength.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
This is sort of of off-topic (in that it's a 1/2 tonne vs 3/4 tonne question), but I'll ask it here because the thread title is right. Sorry for the sort of hijack.

Let's say a fella was looking at getting a flatbed FWC. Looking at trucks, the new Canyon has about 1600lbs max payload and Fuelly shows it gets about 19mpg

An F250 has about 3200lbs max payload and gets an average 13mpg on Fuelly (gas).

Ignoring the other stresses placed on a vehicle when loaded right up, do you think the hit on mpg for the Canyon would be significant if it was at it's max payload capacity? Would the F250 even notice having another 1500lbs in the back, being that it was made for hauling?

jmoney

This is sort of of off-topic (in that it's a 1/2 tonne vs 3/4 tonne question), but I'll ask it here because the thread title is right. Sorry for the sort of hijack.

Let's say a fella was looking at getting a flatbed FWC. Looking at trucks, the new Canyon has about 1600lbs max payload and Fuelly shows it gets about 19mpg

An F250 has about 3200lbs max payload and gets an average 13mpg on Fuelly (gas).

Ignoring the other stresses placed on a vehicle when loaded right up, do you think the hit on mpg for the Canyon would be significant if it was at it's max payload capacity? Would the F250 even notice having another 1500lbs in the back, being that it was made for hauling?

Just because the 1/2 ton has a high payload does not mean it is a good idea to load it that way. I have a 2500 Ram. Empty on highway I range 20+mpg with diesel. Loaded down with 1000 pounds in the back its only a slight drop. The big difference is that it still drives the same. I can't tell I am under load. Now add 1800-2000 lbs and I can visually see that it is weighed down, however, it still drives just fine. The only time I take a real big hit is towing heavy. I would much rather be moving 1800 lbs in a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton. The frame, brakes, engine, engine brake on the 3/4 ton are made to really work well with that kind of weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier