roof rack mount options?

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So i have a radio, a midland 1001z and a k40 magnet mount.

i want to get a real antenna, but its a 2015 outback. Im not keep on drilling to make a mount for the antenna to the body. I understand there are specific antennas to be able to NOT be grounded. What is a good option in that range? Bracket for yakima loadwarrior?

i got the magnet antenna to make a run this weekend, its super temp as i want to do it right.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
what ever a C/B uses. Im not a ham guy. I just need something for on the trail.

as for lip, there isn't enough space for one on the back end, I tried that idea as well. the only way to mount it (other than magnetic) is to throw it on the roof rack. I don't even have enough space between the bumper and body to slip a mount. its very tight in the back of the outback

Robert Bills

Explorer
"No ground plane" antenna kits are available from Firestik, but the performance isn't as good as standard "ground plane" antennas. firestick.com

Properly tuned, your K40 magnetic mount 58" CB antenna will provide decent performance, potentially as good or better than a lip mount or roof rack mounted antenna, ground plane or no ground plane. Do you really use your CB often enough to justify a permanent antenna mount?

For a permanent "no drill" CB antenna installation you might consider the Comet RS-660U roof rack antenna mount:

Comet RS660U.jpg

Or the Diamond K400 hatch mount:

dmn-k400s.jpg

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
"No ground plane" antenna kits are available from Firestik, but the performance isn't as good as standard "ground plane" antennas. firestick.com

Properly tuned, your K40 magnetic mount 58" CB antenna will provide decent performance, potentially as good or better than a lip mount or roof rack mounted antenna, ground plane or no ground plane. Do you really use your CB often enough to justify a permanent antenna mount?

For a permanent "no drill" CB antenna installation you might consider the Comet RS-660U roof rack antenna mount:

Comet RS660U.jpg

Or the Diamond K400 hatch mount:

dmn-k400s.jpg
you really think the k40 will do that well?

My worry is hearing issues of people in the rain? apparently it screws with transmission as water gets under/around the magnet?

I plan to need one at least 2-3 times a month

also, these trunk/lip mounts wont work. its a hatchback. it will juts slam into the roof rack when the hatch is opened

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . CB would be 10Meters. 27Mhz . . . .

Actually, CB is commonly referred to as the 11 meter band even though upper channels 27-40 are just under 11 meters. Reference to CB as 11 meters dates back to to the origins of CB in the 1950s when there were only 23 CB "channels," all of which were within the 11 meter band formerly assigned to ham radio operators by the FCC.

The 10 meter band is a portion of the shortwave radio spectrum internationally allocated to amateur radio and amateur satellite use, consisting of frequencies from 28.000 to 29.700 MHz.

"10 meter" aka "export" radios operate on frequencies including both the CB frequencies (26.965 MHz - 27.405 MHz) and the 10 meter Ham band (28 MHz to 29.7 MHz). Although popular with some CBers because they are capable of transmitting at much higher power than the 4 watt maximum power limitation of FCC approved CB radios, they are not legal for use in the U.S. on the CB frequencies nor may they be used legally on the 10 meter band by licensed amateur radio operators.

Formula: 300 / frequency in MHz = frequency in meters

Channel 1 = 300 / 26.965 MHz = 11.125 meters
Channel 26 = 300/ 27.265 MHz = 11.003 meters

Channel 27 = 300 / 27.275 MHz= 10.999 meters
Channel 40= 300 / 27.405 Mhz = 10.946 meters

Ham 10 meter band

300/ 28.000 MHz = 10.714 meters
300/ 29.700 HMz = 10.101 meters

Robert Bills

Explorer
you really think the k40 will do that well?

My worry is hearing issues of people in the rain? apparently it screws with transmission as water gets under/around the magnet?

I plan to need one at least 2-3 times a month

also, these trunk/lip mounts wont work. its a hatchback. it will juts slam into the roof rack when the hatch is opened

A well made magnetic mount CB antenna such as the K40 or Wilson "Little Wil" actually works quite well in comparison to many setups using the ubiquitous 3' or 4' fiberglass antenna. In my opinion, your K40 will out perform a Firestik "no ground plane" antenna.

If you can't use a trunk/lip/hatch mount, and you don't want to drill any holes in your roof, then your choices are limited to a roof rack mount such as the one pictured.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
if the magnetic will actually work well, i will just get a kick *** mount and a better antenna if this isnt that good. itll be here tomorrow and i can hook it up and test it

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I agree with Robert. For 2-3 times a month, I'd just put a mag mount antenna in the middle of the roof. It'll work fine. Probably much better than a 'no ground plane' antenna.

The 'no ground plane' antennas, to me, are a bit of a myth. You don't get anything for free with antennas. At CB frequencies, anything less than a 1/4 wave (102") whip with the vehicle as the counterpoise ("ground plane") is a compromise. If you don't ground the antenna to the car, you're making a compromise. If you shorten the antenna, you're making a compromise. Both, it's worse.

I say the above both from having both stick CB antennas and hamsticks, and base loaded shortened whips. Hamsticks are reliable and inexpensive and work ok, but they don't perform as well as a good base loaded whip of the same length.

Anyway, best of luck w/ the antenna. Hope it works out well for you.

4x4junkie

Explorer
if the magnetic will actually work well, i will just get a kick *** mount and a better antenna if this isnt that good. itll be here tomorrow and i can hook it up and test it

Agreed, a K40 is a very good antenna, if a bit expensive.
I've heard of rain getting under magnet mounts eventually affecting the car's paint, but not of it affecting antenna performance.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I think you've done well. Looks like a great value on the radio, and you've got a good antenna. Of the two, getting the antenna right is always more important, and you've done that.

Next thing, my bet, is sorting out how to put that in the truck temporarily without having it fly around inside the truck. They used to make removable mounts just for that purpose, but most were pretty terrible, and they would cost more than your radio. Maybe just mount it to a piece of plywood and tie or strap it to something when you use it. If you figure out a great way to do that, post pics, we might learn something from it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior