Possible new supplier of fiberglass composite panels to North America

dlh62c

Explorer
Not sure why we need to go to China since truck cargo bodies can be built here in the USA. Morgan has their own team of mechanical engineers. Working with them and a company like Craftsmen Industries, who make mobile concession and event trailers, anything is possible.

Can the panels themselves be used as a structural component or will there have to be a substantial framework to support and connect them together?
Morgan Cargo Body Parts Catalog

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm all for buying local and having a good paying job myself... Therefore I should explain the manufacturing location. The factory is a joint venture between a very smart chinese business man and my dad. The main market is Asia. North America is only a "maybe" at this point. I have been there myself, toured several factories and I was more than impressed with the build quality, workplace safety and how the workers are being taken care of! There are even vegetable gardens around the properties for the employees. The machinery is nicer and newer than anything I have seen in North America.

To answer your question: the panels are self supporting, no other internal structure needed. Therefore there wont be any coldbridges.

More details to come when we have things figured out. Thx!

dlh62c

Explorer
There are already a few truck box builders here that will build some-what custom truck boxes, but none that I have found are willing (or at an affordable price) to sell 'panels'

So true!

Here's a quote I got from Morgan though Craftsmen Industries on a FRP cargo body. Its just a body shipped without a rear door assembly, Morgan was to supply a blank rear FRP panel to cover the opening. Any and all internal fit-out and installation of windows and doors could be DIY. The body comes with a 5 year limited warranty.

00000001.jpg00000002.jpg

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Here's a quote I got from Morgan though Craftsmen Industries on a FRP cargo body. Its just a body shipped without a rear door assembly, Morgan was to supply a blank rear FRP panel to cover the opening. Any and all internal fit-out and installation of windows and doors could be DIY. The body comes with a 5 year limited warranty.

I think for a 'square box' the commercial truck box companies can not be beat. Maybe not the sexiest material and a pretty standard built, but they have 100,000 of manhours in experience and the boxes are built like brick outhouses. I've hit my commercial box's forward roof edge into a 6x16 gluelam beam with no damage. They will add windows (even opening concession windows that fully open), doors were you want them, etc and I'm sure for the same box you got an $8k quote for, it would be $30k+ for a sexy 'expo box'.

I'm looking for panels as my future box will not be square (see the link in my signature link), so I'm pretty much on my own

Victorian

Update:

Samples are on there way to Canada. Very attractive pricing is almost done. Hope to have something to show at Northwest Overland Rally! (fingers crossed!)

Victorian

Sorry for the long wait! I receipt the first shipment of samples and they are awesome!!!
Judging by all the private messages, there is a great demand for sandwich panels. We are currently working on all the legal stuff, website, brochures and doing tons of product development for overland traveling. We are also working on complete flat packed boxes! We will have standard and custom sizes available. All that's needed is a dry and level work surface and some hand tools. We are very excited to serve North America with new and innovative products.
Good things need time :chef:

Cheers

Victorian

So if we make boxes out of these panels, how strong would they be, waterproof and what glue do you use?

Great questions!

Strength: The panels are self supporting. That means that no metal or wood inserts are needed within the sandwich. This will guarantee you are not getting any cold bridges. The outside layer is 2-3mm fiberglass and is industry standard. It has been proven tough enough over the years in the expedition vehicle industry. I have actually seen a Unimog camper that rolled down a mountain side... The Unimog was trashed, the living quarters where mostly intact and could be fixed.

Water proofness: If the boxes are assembled as we recommend, there is virtually no chance you will ever get any water inside the box or inside the sandwich panel.

Adhesive: We recommend Koerapur 125. A german made product that is not only certified food safe (when cured) but also the best on the market for this task. It will of course be available through us.

In addition to that, we are currently developing fiberglass extrusions to make panel assembly as easy as possible. All you need to do is to cut your panels and extrusions to size, apply the adhesive and slide everything together! Of course this is just a very quick run down how it works.... I would recommend cutting out the windows/door and hatches before... Also recommended is the mounting of the subframe before the assembly of the box :)

In any case, anyone that has a little bit of skill and the ability to follow instructions can do it. The result will be a tough, well insulated and self supporting living quarters.

Cheers

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
In addition to that, we are currently developing fiberglass extrusions to make panel assembly as easy as possible. All you need to do is to cut your panels and extrusions to size, apply the adhesive and slide everything together!
Sounds great.
I really like the fact that you are making your own extrusions out of fiberglass also. Any change you will be making those in 45 degree angles in addtion to I'm sure the normal 90 degree?

Victorian

Sounds great.
I really like the fact that you are making your own extrusions out of fiberglass also. Any change you will be making those in 45 degree angles in addtion to I'm sure the normal 90 degree?

Maybe down the road, but not at the moment.

Darwin

Explorer
I would love to see some examples of builds or pictures of this product turned into an expedition camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz