Chrome vinyl wrap on the roof

bunce1260

Observer
So while thinking about a future van build and insulation, I thought, what if I can prevent heat entering? So I thought about painting the roof white, but then thought about chrome vinyl.
Has anyone tried applying chrome vinyl to their roof only? Since most of these vehicles are so tall the roof can't be seen.

I'd imagine it would reflect the heats rays, therefore reducing the heat that would be applied to the van and therefore keeping interior temperatures cooler.

Thoughts?

bunce1260

Observer

CSG

Explorer
I've often thought of repainting the red pop-up roof of my Traverse white. I wonder, though, what it would look like. I also think it would hurt resale.

bunce1260

Observer
I've often thought of repainting the red pop-up roof of my Traverse white. I wonder, though, what it would look like. I also think it would hurt resale.

That's part of the reason I was thinking about a wrap. It'd be easy to peel it back off when the time came to sell.

landcruiser40th

You might want to consider painting it. Did you ever try to remove a wrap after its been on for more that a year? Even good 3M vinyl is really hard to remove without damaging the paint underneath. I've removed several wraps from retired recruiter vechicles and I can say it is not fun to say the least. I hope this helps.

CountryHandyMan

Unregistered Maine Guide
Are you ready for a bad word? Plastidip
Do they make a light color? It peels easily when your done with it. The downside is all the Honda car guys might think you're cool.

jdillard

Observer
I'm not sure I'd do shiny silver - the reflections off that could be blinding to truckers or anyone else sitting higher than you. But a matt silver or white should work just as well. Even better would be a full roof rack with a mesh floor to it. Or a roof top tent, though probably not on a van.

If I ever pull the trigger on a Wrangler, I'll probably go with a body-colored top just for this reason, even though I prefer the look of the black.

rayra

Expedition Leader
White will do nicely and not look so bling-y as chrome. Lots of vehicles over the years with white roofs. FJs, MiniCoopers, Citreons, white convertible tops etc. Lots of 50s and 60s station wagons, Ramblers etc.

jlocster

Explorer
My experiment adding cooling effect to the roof. ---> link

Inspired by the use of Buskote, a product used on school bus and RV roofs. It's held up great in the nearly 2 years I've had it on my truck.

The price is right as 1 gallon was about $10 at Home Depot.

Surface temps of the roof are significantly cooler than the forest green paint on my vehicle, although I don't know that it affects interior temps much. In the case of an SUV, the vehicle glass lets in way more heat than could ever be offset by a light colored roof...in my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles