Wired tests 4 navi apps that work without Internet service

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/offline-gps-apps/

Wired Magazine takes a look at four GPS navigation apps that work without an Internet connection. Of the four, they liked Navmii (formerly Navfree) the best. The app is free to start, and runs on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry. If you spend $2, you can have a version that doesn't display ads. Maps are based on Open Street Maps data, and sold on a country basis for $2 - $4.

sickchilly

Observer
I've used all of those and settled early on with Navigon... But all of those are only good for road. None are meant for exploring or overlanding. For that, I use Gaia and PDF Maps.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
So which works best for road?

I recently, as in this weekend, tested out CoPilot, I use a duel XGPS 150 in my car, and I pre-downloaded the United States. It works pretty well but the interface of movement of the map is very slow, I don't know if it's the size of it or if it's my device, I'm using a fourth GEN iPad with 64 gigs of memory,

The app doesn't follow real time estimates on your next turn and such. You have to keep refreshing to see that. It will follow you which is nice. You can zoom in and out as it does this but again it's rather slow doing this.

I don't mind paying for an app to have downloaded maps as my iPad is WiFi only but it's 64 GB so I have room for maps. And I mount it inside my Tacoma also so it works great.

WOODY2

Adventurer
If you're running iPad try Scenic Maps. it's very reasonable and is resident after download coupled with a Dual 150 or similar it's very hard to beat.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Thanks I'll look inot it,

I have a question though,

Where do all these different companies aka... App makers get their map data from.
There can't be that many different companies or government agencies out there selling this data is there?

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Navmii use openstreetmaps and costs money. At sample the App Maps.me is free and use the same Mapsource.

Nothing against Openstreetmaps, I use it currently for navigating during my Panamericana-Trip. Here I use it more for orientation than for real navigation. The routing in bad, the road names not well covered, house numbers are mostly not covered.

These professional Mapsources like from Navtec or Tomtom brings a lot more informations, but they don't cover the whole world.

In Peru i dont find anything else - than Openstbreetmaps. The mentioned NavMII don't cover Chile or Peru, while Maps.me covers the world. The test stinks if you ask me....

4x4tripping

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
I've been very impressed with MyTrails. Allows offline map usage, has MANY map sources. I can build a trail in google maps, augment it in another app (including MyTrails) for routes that don't conform to GMaps roadways, and it allows you to overlay multiple sources (I like to overlay a good topo with google's satelite imagery)

Works in Canada too, which was the big selling feature for me. Tracks all your vitals and allows you to view your elevation profile etc.

I use it in conjuction with GPSVisualizer which allows me to convert Gmap files into .gpx etc. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Yuccahead

Adventurer
The Wired article only seemed to have looked at the IOS version of Navmii. The Android version only has maps for North America, Argentina and Brazil. I was looking for something with maps of Europe.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles