Bedlining Vehicle Bodies

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hello,

Who here has bedlined the bodies on their vehicles? A few questions;

1. What product did you use?
2. Where did you us it?
3. How has it stood up?
4. How expensive was it? (if you don't mine me asking)
5. Did it add any noticeable weight?

I am considering doing the rockers and fender flares when I get the bed done. Maybe some of the tailgate too.

ExpoScout

Explorer
I havent personally done it myself...although Im in the process of using some crappy rattle can bedliner in my project until I have the money to have it professionally done (or I get my air compressor then Ill probably do it myself), although the rattle can job is a heck of a lot better than none at all.

I do have some friends that have done it do the lower section of the body of their rigs and their floors and love it. From the reviews Ive gotten Line-x has the best reputation. Im not sure on pricing so Im not much help there, but I think its a great idea.

4RunAmok

Explorer
majorpayne said:
I havent personally done it myself...although Im in the process of using some crappy rattle can bedliner in my project until I have the money to have it professionally done (or I get my air compressor then Ill probably do it myself), although the rattle can job is a heck of a lot better than none at all.

I do have some friends that have done it do the lower section of the body of their rigs and their floors and love it. From the reviews Ive gotten Line-x has the best reputation. Im not sure on pricing so Im not much help there, but I think its a great idea.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but the Line-X/Rhinoliner guys might be rather irritated about your rattlecan spray, and may have problems assuring their product will stick.

I had a small project I needed done and used the crappy liner, Rhino said that they would not guarantee their lining would stick. They were able to remove the cheap stuff though for my project.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had my first FJ40 done with Line-X, sometime around 96', it sucked to say the least. Most (all) of the issues were installer error. The thickness was inconsistent, they missed places all together, exposing places they had sandblasted but not lined or painted. Really crappy experience. Long story short I was able to make the best of it. I found a paint that matched the color closely, I did alot of cleanup with that. All things considered it worked pretty well, still running around today AFAIK (I sold it in 02')

The entire inside and underneath of my current Land Cruiser is lined, including the bottom rockers and complete fenders. It has stood up really well all things considered. The only places that have been issues are the sliders, the lining didn't last there too long at all. I simply cut it off and painted the sliders black. I do have a couple of areas that are "bubbing" specifically on my front fenders, I need to figure out a way to adress that.

Land Cruiser w/commercially sprayed Polytuff:

PIC%20038%20(Small).jpg

I recently had the rear rockers, bed pan, bed inside and underneath done on my Tacoma, this time by a brand called Reflex, I really like the way it turned out. I would use them again in a heartbeat :cool:

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
I have the tub of my LJ done with LineX. absolutely perfect job and its held up very well. i think it was $900 though... lots of nooks and cranies..

The bed of My last F250 was also LineXed took a nice beating, no problems..

The bed of my new DD Tundra I just had Rhino Lined. Looks incredible was $550. Not sure about wear, because its only two weeks old..

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I had the rockers of my Ram done back in '03. They were rhino lined and color matched and cost me $275. It has held up very well, you no longer here gravel shots and laughs at brush rubs. With the color match, it's not noticeable until you walk up to it though you can't use a paste wax on it, instead I use a clear type touch up wax to protect the color coat. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

WFTW

Adventurer
I had the interior of my '08 JK Unlimited Rubicon sprayed with Line-X about a month ago. Cost me $650 (GREAT PRICE FOR ENTIRE INTERIOR) and done in 2 days. I'm in Iraq, so I haven't seen it yet in person, but judging by the few pix I've seen, it looks real nice.

I've never thought of using it anywhere else, but it probably wounldn't hurt to get my Bushmaster Fender Flares sprayed with it...will have to think that over.

Line-X has a lifetime warrantee...don't know about the other brands though.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
I had the bed & tailgate of my 05 RubiScrambler LineX & turned out great

I also did herculiner years ago on my M715 that did not hold up well. Dont have any great pics of bed or cab.

Last edited:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
1. What product did you use?
Herculiner

2. Where did you us it?
Bottom of doors and around wheel wells

3. How has it stood up?
Really Well, only one part kinda came off but the door damage is also impressive. It has withstood many of the rocks/tree branches that I have hit.

4. How expensive was it? (if you don't mine me asking)
Around $70 - 80 I believe

5. Did it add any noticeable weight?
Not for me!

This is when first done:
6.jpg

About 3 years later. You can see on the front passenger door where it is mishaped and a little different in color (bottom front corner). That is the only wear I have after many trails/scrapes (Yes I have sliders, just off because I was building new ones when this pic was taken)
IMG_0162-1.jpg

sami

Explorer
Years ago I pulled the seats out of my '87 Samurai and dropped some Herculiner, covering the entire interior. I also did the rockers. I was impressed with how the product held up, given how much i paid for it. I did not have high expectations. With that said, I would have to say it lasted longer than I expected. The rockers took a few hits, and the liner wasn't phased. The interior held up great, top and doors off for atleast 7 months of the year.

On the other hand, I had a friend do Herculiner in the bed of his truck and it turned out miserable.

Maybe i prepped better? dunno... if you're on a tight budget, and looking for interior or rockers i'd say go for it(Herculiner). But i don't feel it's up to the task of a truck bed that sees work use.

I have no experience with any other liners, other than just staring at cruiseroutfit's rigs ;)

-Jason

Last edited:

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
Rhino liner

Complete jeep tub on a crawler inside and out.

I beat the hell out of this thing. Drug the sides down rocks laid it on it's side in the rocks and smashed it on even more rocks. You could see huge dents in the tub, but the liner was unphased.

If you take it somewhere, make sure it is an established shop where you can see work that has been done in the past. You don't want a new shop with some new guy trying to learn the ins and outs. If you do it yourself, PREP is the key to a long lasting job. I have a buddy with a jeep done like mine was. He did it in his garage with herculiner. He prepped it like it was a show car going in for paint. His has held up great.

It all comes down to prep, The more time you spend prepping the thing out, the longer it will last in the end.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I was just thinking of using this stuff on my truck.

My windshield has been leaking and the floor suffered from being wet from a soaked carpet for I don't know how long.

Seems like the paint is gone in some places and rust has started but doesn't appear to be structural. I have to figure out how to fix this up. I was thinking of using a cheap bed liner stuff on the floor before putting the carpets back in.

Any input?

ExpoScout

Explorer
4RunAmok said:
I don't want to rain on your parade, but the Line-X/Rhinoliner guys might be rather irritated about your rattlecan spray, and may have problems assuring their product will stick.

I had a small project I needed done and used the crappy liner, Rhino said that they would not guarantee their lining would stick. They were able to remove the cheap stuff though for my project.

Thanks for the heads up, Ill have to look into that when the time comes...if worse comes to worse and ill blast the old stuff off

jh504

Explorer
100_3861.jpg

The guy that had my truck before me did the liner job on mine, I think he used line x. It has stood up great against all the limbs that love to leave fingers down the side of your vehicle. As with any type of paint make sure you prep it right, that is probably the single most important thing. I have seen other guys who didnt prep it right, and just did a rattle can job, and it always chips off, especially where it meets the paint.

By the way cruiseroutfit, I would love to see some pictures of your Taco, that looks very nicely done.

Last edited:

Gravity

Observer
Cruiseroutfit....
where did you get your Taco sprayed? Any other comments? Looking for someone here along the Wasatch Front to spray my rear rocker panels and front bumper on my SMB

thanks,

-d

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles