Plasti-Dip interior of a canopy/shell/topper

College Kid

Adventurer
I have a Leer 122 canopy without the carpet option, so just has the rough fiberglass on the inside. I would like to do something to make the interior a little nicer for camping and also help stop the small bits of fiberglass coming off our cloths or other cloth items when they are pushed up against the sides. Also I have had the experience of getting the fiberglass in my palm when doing things inside the canopy.

I have thought alot about trying to carpet the inside myself using marine carpet or something similar, but I still use my truck as a truck and think that it is nice to be able to take a power washer to the whole thing ever once in a while to remove dust and grime.

What is everyone's thoughts on using Plasti-dip to coat the inside? I've never worked with the product before but it looks like it might be a good solution.

College Kid

Adventurer
Not a bad idea. Although I would like to keep it white if possible to maintain as much light as possible. I am going to have to go price out some white liner and see what i can find.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Might consider vinal flooring, sheet goods, can glue easily on the inside, use a very small pattern or better, no pattern like white with specks of silver or some color, you do need to know how to lay flooring seamlessly for the corners. You could spray wash it.

Another option I prefer, not washable really, is to use 1/2 inch foam and material covering. 3M adhesive applies the foam to the top and repeat laying the material on, the material needs a backing and is found at upholstery shops. Much quieter and has some insulation qualities. Spray it all down with 3M scotch guard stuff and you can wipe it off.

Indoor-outdoor can be sprayed down too, use a squeegee and it will dry faster.

Might consider a strip of nice paneling to make a full length center console, lights, switches, vent fan, A/C, MP3 gadgets, speakers, whatever.....trim the edges and you'll have something for a headliner to be held up by or reduce the area of other surfaces to be covered.

BTW, I used a PVC guttering, turned it on its side and trimmed (ripped it) forming a an L with a return or lip on it in long strips. Flip it over and glue on leatherette stretched over it. It can make trays, ceiling console with a face large enough for radios or flip down screens. Smaller in width rips make a good curtain valance. Just look at the end view of the guttering and find what angles you need as your stock and cut it out. Flatter pieces make good trim and you can form ceiling trims in an "H" or "T" or "I", whatever, just scribe the ends into place and cover.

PVC fence materials are also good stock to chop up for trim pieces. I use a small strip of wood as a nail strip to hang the stuff and screw the PVC in, it all gets covered.

If paint and spray on coverings are your thing, seems there would be many choices. If I get a shell, and I may very well, I'll go with upholstery to limit head injuries if I jump up in the middle of the night. Consider the finish you select rubbing against your body.

Good luck with your project.

GregSplett

Adventurer
The two big home improvement box stores have there own brand of the deck coating Valspar and Behr.They can make it any color you want.

As a side note do not ever put that product on your deck especially if it is ceder.I would have no problem using in your application.

College Kid

Adventurer
I was thinking about just paint, but with the roughness of the surface I was worried about how it would cover. I am having the same thought about a roll on product. It would be hard to get in some of the cracks and corners for a clean look.

I am re thinking the headliner and going to check out my local fabric store for ideas. Also I picked up a bottle of the plasti dip which I am going to experiment with on a couple different areas. One of my main reasons at going that route was that I thought it would be nice to pull it all off if I do a bad job.

cwm

Observer
Joyce Fabrics is, I believe, is a chain of stores. I have I bought some headliner material from them. I don't remember the width but they stock it in rolls so you can buy whatever length you want. It has a foam backing.

I would expect there are You Tube videos on installing or repairing headliners. Common for hot rod/classic car builds.

Indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot or marine carpeting from West Marine (or any marine supply). I have a 17-year old SnugTop with the factory installed carpeting and I can still hose it out. Makes it much nicer inside when camping/sleeping and will still hold up to abuse. :sombrero:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seconding the headliner material. It's about 1/8" thick, foam-backed, would be a straightforward install with some 3M spray adhesive. Set the shell on its nose on the ground, so you can work with the ceiling and walls in a vertical position, lot easier to work on.

But if you really want to wash it, just give it a good pass with a shop vac and roll on some enamel. Couple coats, thick-nap roller. Give the first coat plenty of time to dry. Might even consider knocking down some of the rougher fiberglass bits with a sanding block beforehand. Be a lot cheaper than bedliner and last many years if the prep is done right. Also seconding the light color.

Arclight

SAR guy
Regardless of what you do, I would still consider insulating the inside with foam or thin outdoor carpet using 3M spray adhesive. This will prevent condensation on the inside while you're sleeping.

For paint options, head to your nearest West Marine or other boat store. Tell them you want a fiberglass "top side" coating. I repainted the outside of my old Bronco's shell with an extra-fine paint roller and a primer+top coat from West Marine. The first coat encapsulated the weathered, peeling fibers. I then gave it a quick sanding with wet/dry paper to knock the tops down and applied the glossy coat. It looked great, and only cost about $60.

Arclight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior