My project build/ Expo trailer.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I had a thread running for my build I was goign to delete some post and I deleted the whole thread. I am gonna piece it back together with the highlights and continue on with the build/update.

I really never had any interest in an off-road trailer till I joined this forum and seen how functional and cool they can be. So I started out November 2014 really ruff not knowing how to weld not even having a welder. I picked up a cheap flux core welder to practice with and welding was an instant addiction. Before I knew what I did I had a Millermatic 211 on it's way :victory: . I have spent countless hours in Sketchup drawing and designing my trailer, once you learn how to use that program it is amazing especially for the free version.

I started drawing up multiple different designs all based off of a flat bed base so it would be multi purpose that design changes day by day.

The most up to date version: A flat bed for day to day use and plan was for it to have a removable Expo. bed.
Flat bed with fenders.jpg

Flat bed with fenders1.jpg

Flat bed with fenders2.jpg

Original bed idea this would attach to the frame with 6 bolts.
Body1.jpg

So I jumped into this head first knowing that I did not know much but planed to learn along the way and maybe come out with a new skill. So I went and picked up the metal for the frame started out with 3x2" square tubing 3/16 wall thickness.

IMG_3932.jpg

Spring perches welded on, I used the measurements from the springs and welded these on long before my axle was ordered but they came out perfect.
IMG_4015.jpg

I am missing a few photos but here is the basic frame assembled, with Rockwell american Dexture 3500lb axle mounted. Using two of the 315/70/17 wheel/tire combo from the JK till my trailer set up arrives.
IMG_4119.jpg

So with the axle mounted I went and picked up my order for steel.
IMG_4127.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4129.jpg
    IMG_4129.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 210

HAFICON

Adventurer
I don't know what it is called but I planed to make the sides flared for lack of better terms. Side wall would rise 21" bow outwards at a 45 degree angle for 5" then bend back up right at a 45 degree angle for 4". My plan was use 3/4" square tubing to frame up the box so it would be light enough to move on and off. I am some what limited on tools but I did pick up a nice Milwaukee portable band saw best toll I have ever bought. So I started cutting some tubing and bending it the best way I could.
View attachment 279615

Now I think this looks good but it was my first mistake, I had the steel cut when I bought it not realizing tiring to weld 16gauge steel for a length of 44" would be a nightmare for a newbie welder. Was talking to an experienced welder and they laughed and said good luck that crap will warp and bow it will never be a clean panel and being it is at an angle and not flush grinding and cleaning it up would be very time consuming. Guess I should have looked into having it put in a metal brake and bent into shape. Oh well lesson learned.
View attachment 279616

IMG_4128.jpg

With cooler weather moving in and the fact I am not suppose to have a trailer at my house or do any welding or cutting I moved everything into my shed to conceal my project. Built the toung trhough some trial and error I have certainly learned the importance of tack welding by now.
Hitch.jpg

Plug welds for the pintle hitch drilled 3 holes in each side and weld it in from the side and front.
IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

Mind you this is the first real thing I have ever welded took some practice but got my welds looking somewhat acceptable.
Weld.jpg

With the tongue installed it will no longer fit in my little shed so I installed the wheels and tires: Level 8 trackers and 315/70/17 off road tires.
Wheels and tires.jpg

It is certainly easier to work on with it moving around but this 3x2" tubing might of been a little over kill.
IMG_4286.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
At this point I was feeling pretty confident, took her for a road test on base and she tracks beautifully. Sits perfectly in line with my Jeep and with the 1.5" spacer/adapters the tires are in line with one another. IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

Built and welded in some caps for the tubing
IMG_4370.jpg
IMG_4371.jpg

Started on the fender mounts, this time I went with 1.5x3" square tubing 1/8 wall thickness. The front of the fender will angle to deflect debri and things like trees and rocks. Also picked up the deck plate now that the trailer is road worthy. I went with 3/16" plate I wanted this to be able to survive being piled up with junk and not flex or dent. I don't think that will be a problem. (again with some overkill that I regret).
IMG_4396.jpg

IMG_4392.jpg

So now the next big mistake was the way I welded the deck plat in place. Rather than short welds I welded it fully top and bottom. Not all at once I welded each corner and let it cool then moved on a little at a time over about 3 days. But regardless I got the metal WAY to hot and it warped and should have welded short lines and filled the gap with a seam sealer. I think the overkill was when I welded the bottom in. I also welded in a section of 1/8" plate that was goign to be a base for a storage compartment.
Photo was a few days after I welded it all up metal was still new and clean when I welded it.
IMG_4436.jpg

So at this point was when the snow started to really fall buried my trailer then I busted the ring and pinion on my JKU as well as busted an ARB locker so that put a big hold up on my build. Time has also been an issue so I moved it to a local shop and the owner is helping me and teaching me along the way. He did a pretty good job of building me some fenders hopefully we get the box built soon but at this point we decided a removable box is not the best option so it will have a permanently attached box with a removable tailgate and lid. Sad to say the most progress has been fenders built and installed.

Snowed in
Snow covered.jpg
Fenders built
IMG_4819.JPG

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks,

I finally get to get back to work on it this weekend. I am recovered from most of my injuries, so goign to go see what we have left for steel stock and get a final order together. I have still been searching and looking at ideas and options and I might try to find a SWB utility truck bed used and put it on this frame. If I were to go that route it would not be a removable bed but I was looking at some of the work truck beds made into Expo. trailers and I have to say they are pretty nice. but any decent ones are $$$$

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well to no surprise the plan changed again but got some progress made today. Tomorrow we should have the entire skeleton frame finished and maybe the roof plate. We built the front and side then realized they were much taller than I wanted cut them down and started tacking everything in. I love the way this is coming out and I really love the new design.

Just some prep work.
IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

The new design, I dropped the idea of slanted sides raised the roof/lid and just angled the fronts and rear so that the roof will match the fenders. Also will give a great storage for my Rotopax, and RTT.

Angled roof ent and can low profile.jpg

Angled roof ent and can low profile1.jpg

Angled roof ent and can low profile.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks.. I built the base my self at home, right now it is at a local weld shop I am doing most of the welding (90%) more so being taught how to properly weld. But the guy helping me is not charging labor for his time just cost of consumables and gas on his welders and grinders. He is currently building a really cool camping trailer, so nice to work with a professional welding shop that is also a Jeep guy and building a trailer of is own.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Im looking for some input on what brakes I should run. I have the 3500lb axle, 5x4.5 hub pattern.

Couple of ???

Is the WMS to WMS wider with brakes then idler hubs?
My trailer is kinda heavy should I run 10 or 12" E-brake kit?
What is be best trailer brake actuator for the dollar? I do not think I need a digital one or anything crazy just simple and functional.
Any suggestion on good or bad is greatly appreciated.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Made some real progress today, got the lid framed up still have to add a few supports to it. Sides are skinned going to shave down the excess on top so it is flush with the front and skin the lid.
Lid built this was a fun project in itself tiring to keep it all square but it came out great.

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

Got to trim down the side panels to match the front panel and start skinning the lid, get it hinged and will be almost ready for blasting and paint.
IMG_5037.jpg

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
Got the lid and sides skinned today. Forgot to get pictures with the side of the lid skinned but I will be working on it again Friday. Having a custom lid lift made will be a reverse mounted trailer jack that swivels with a telescoping arm. Lid is pretty heavy standard Gas shocks are not going to work.

In progress still have to shave the over hang for the front drop down:
IMG_5058.jpg

The rear of the trailer will have the tail/stop/turn lights counter sank as well the tag will be counter sank into the lid to add cosmetic appearance as well as protect them from damage.
IMG_5060.jpg

Plan is for the tailgate to be built and installed tomorrow if time permits. On the lid we added some re-enforcement and I think it will be all set, just have a ton of final welding to do this weekend and grinding, fenders also go back on tomorrow as well as fitting the hinges and latches. Should be off to sandblasting next week then back for paint. Looking at Black fenders and frame, white body and lid. The inside will be spray in bed liner.
IMG_5062.jpg

rustED

Adventurer
Nice work, you're making some awesome progress! I like how your lid turned out, it looks like it will be air dynamic with the front sloped like that. Your build is getting me motivated to start working on mine again!

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks.. I got some great pictures really working hard this weekend.. Also got a ruff weight today looks like it will be neck for neck with the brand Adventure trailer Chaser weight. I am between 600-700 pounds ruffly once finished we are going to suspend it from the overhead scale and see what she comes in at.

It is really hard to tell where the body stops and the lid starts in this photo I cant wait for it go in for paint... That is a while away but I can dream..
IMG_5073.jpg

For the counter sank tail lights. Got the holes chopped in the lid.
holes for light bracket.jpg

Boxes built to house the lights, these will be welded in and and shaved down to the angle of the lid.
Bracket closed up.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles