Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Copperhead14

Observer
Those are great pics. If I were to get rid of my 14 JKUR it would be replaced with a grand waggie or Cherokee chief. Walden/steamboat springs is on my "to visit list".

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks Copperhead. You should check out the area the next time you're in town!

Check out a couple of presents I got for Christmas... it would be fun to do a side by side comparison between the TREDs and Mr. Emergency.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I haven't had to do much to the Jeep lately. I replace the tailgate c-channels with a set from BJ's Offroad and I've just been enjoying it. I took Lil Chunky out on his first sledding trip today. The most excitment we had was using the Waggy to herd some Alpacas that had escaped through an open gate in their field. Wifey snapped a quick shot of them as they ran back inside.

After that, we headed up Hidden Valley Road and had what seemed like all of nature to ourselves. We had a great time and the Waggy was like a mountain goat in the snow and ice.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Looks like a fun time!

I need to do some tailgate work one of these days. Specifically the seals.

I hear you on those... I need to do some soldering on my driver rear door to get that window working again.
Both you guys truly inspire me, just sayin.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thanks Zeiderman! If you were closer I'd say we should hit the trails some time. If you ever come out to Colorado, let me know and we can set something up!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
My rear driver's side window stopped working and, over Christmas vacation. I found that the culprit was that the power window wires broke from repeated flexing in the door jam. One side was still exposed (I put tape on the exposed wire just in case) while the other side had disappeared into the door.

I had to take the door panel off and dig in the door to find the broken ends of the wires and was surprised to see how good the condition of my panel was!

But, after some digging, I found them. I created a large loop of wire for strain relief inside the door and rerouted the wires to eliminate tension and binding. It turned out that I could just solder the ends back together, after I rerouted everything! I then electrical taped the wires together in a rigid mass. This would allow the door's electrical opening to move around the wires when the door is opened and closed without actually moving the the wires at the door jam. Instead the service loop inside the door would take up the slack.

Hopefully, this setup will keep the impingment from happening again. Finally, I resealed the plastic liner on the inside of the door to keep the dust out and put everything back together.

I know it's a little, easy job but it was fun to try to do everything right in there.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Power windows are for the birds!

Haha, just kidding. Good work. At least the panels in these things are easy to remove and dont have all sorts of weird clips and pins and stuff.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks Doc. Yeah, I'm glad these panels can be removed and replace without too much damage... because I get the feeling I'll be doing it a lot over the life of the vehicle!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
My buddy got a permit to go on White Rim for the end or February! I'm still debating on which vehicle to take but I'm leaning towards taking the Waggy. Have any of you guys had experience on the trail? I don't have much of an idea of how to plan or what to take.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks William! Not much to report on the build front but we did take the Waggy out to Glenwood Springs. They had about 2 feet of snow on the ground so we got to do quite a bit of snow driving.

Also, I took the dog out on a cool hike that left straight from the neighborhood into the local hills.

View from a ridgeline

Here's a view coming back to the neighborhood in the evening... it reminds me of some old village somewhere.

That's all for now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz