Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Glad you made it, looking forward to more adventure pics.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Once I get a house and get settled, that's the plan!

Congrats. Sorry to see ya go but maybe you'll hate it and return? ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I know... I'm going to miss CO a LOT. I don't think there's any other state that offers back country wheeling that's as beautiful or remote. BUT, I'm in a totally new environment out here. Who knows what I'll discover once I get out and explore!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Tons of stuff in New England. I'm actually hitting the road moving back to Mass on Sunday...

Where are you looking?

Chase

Cool! It would good to have a contact that knows the area! Right now, we're seriously considering putting an offer in on a house in Hampstead, NH. Where are you looking?

In other news, no real adventures yet. But, I did find a cool well hand pump when going down a road in the back side of a cemetery:

It worked really well!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Glad to see your rig putting around the ole Hamp! I'll definitely drop you a line next time I'm back home visiting the family.

FrozenCajunAK

New guy here. Looked through all of these pics and posts, but didn't see where you had done the EFI conversion. Did I miss it somewhere?

Anyway, I did see someone mention the junkyard GM TBI swap. I did a long, very detailed write-up on this conversion several years ago. I wrote it up and documented it as I went along. Here's a link to it if anyone is interested.

www DOT jeepsunlimited DOT com/forums/showthread.php?254063-GM-TBI-Install-Part-1-(Parts-and-such-required)

I just scored a fairly good 1988 Grand Waggy for an Alaska-worthy expedition build and the TBI conversion is absolutely going to be a part of it. I did the TFI and MSD ignition conversions the weekend after I got it.

Great build thread! Thanks for having me aboard!

chasespeed

Explorer
Cool! It would good to have a contact that knows the area! Right now, we're seriously considering putting an offer in on a house in Hampstead, NH. Where are you looking?

I going back to the small town I left a year ago, Monson.

But, my service area is pretty good sized, encompassing all of New England. So, we may, or may not stay there. I may head a little further east., or SNH. The company I'm working for is based out of Andover.

I like it in that area.

We have a hill climb that holds all kids of events, etc.

Either way.

There is stuff to do in New England.

Chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Glad to see your rig putting around the ole Hamp! I'll definitely drop you a line next time I'm back home visiting the family.

New guy here. Looked through all of these pics and posts, but didn't see where you had done the EFI conversion. Did I miss it somewhere?

Anyway, I did see someone mention the junkyard GM TBI swap. I did a long, very detailed write-up on this conversion several years ago. I wrote it up and documented it as I went along. Here's a link to it if anyone is interested.

www DOT jeepsunlimited DOT com/forums/showthread.php?254063-GM-TBI-Install-Part-1-(Parts-and-such-required)

I just scored a fairly good 1988 Grand Waggy for an Alaska-worthy expedition build and the TBI conversion is absolutely going to be a part of it. I did the TFI and MSD ignition conversions the weekend after I got it.

Great build thread! Thanks for having me aboard!

Awesome to have you aboard! So, you didn't miss my TBI swap... because I haven't done one yet. I was planning on it from the beginning but this stock carb has been working so well that I haven't had the heart to touch it yet. Even moving from almost 6000' to 300' hasn't shaken this thing... I'm really amazed. I've now had this rig running from 300' to 14,000' without changing a thing... and it doesn't knock or sputter. Anyway, the TBI is still on the long term list and it would be great to have an experienced eye out there when I try to make it happen!

I going back to the small town I left a year ago, Monson.

But, my service area is pretty good sized, encompassing all of New England. So, we may, or may not stay there. I may head a little further east., or SNH. The company I'm working for is based out of Andover.

I like it in that area.

We have a hill climb that holds all kids of events, etc.

Either way.

There is stuff to do in New England.

Chase

So Chase, where is Monson? Is it in NH or MA? Right now, I live in Andover and am working in North Reading... sounds like we're close! If you're interested, PM me your info and we can grab some food or meet up sometime.

FrozenCajunAK

I'll happily help out with it. It's about time to start looking for the parts to convert mine over.

In the meantime, if you or anyone else is serious about this, do a Google search on AutoPROM. It's an invaluable tool for the junkyard EFI job.

Seriously a beautiful build, Lump. I hope I can make this one turn out somewhere close to as nice as yours. The interior pics are wonderful.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'll happily help out with it. It's about time to start looking for the parts to convert mine over.

In the meantime, if you or anyone else is serious about this, do a Google search on AutoPROM. It's an invaluable tool for the junkyard EFI job.

Seriously a beautiful build, Lump. I hope I can make this one turn out somewhere close to as nice as yours. The interior pics are wonderful.

We'll have to talk when I get serious about fuel injection. I was looking at a bunch of different options for fuel injection: Junk Yard swap, Hamilton Fuel Injection and Megasquirt were my top three. Megasquirt would only be in the picture if I went through with my grand plan of a low boost turbo setup. (That might be a pie in the sky dream with a toddler at home but that 8.25:1 compression ratio tempts me to do it)

Hey Doc Marneaus: (if you're reading this)

Didn't you just fuel inject your Wagoneer? How do you like it?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
We'll have to talk when I get serious about fuel injection. I was looking at a bunch of different options for fuel injection: Junk Yard swap, Hamilton Fuel Injection and Megasquirt were my top three. Megasquirt would only be in the picture if I went through with my grand plan of a low boost turbo setup. (That might be a pie in the sky dream with a toddler at home but that 8.25:1 compression ratio tempts me to do it)

Yup I did and so far (only like 150 miles on it) it's amazing. I'm still in the stage where it needs some minor tweaking and still is learning but dang it's nice.

I ended up with MSD atomic which in the end was probably a bit more expensive than some other options but it was done the right way with no shortcuts.

chasespeed

Explorer
So Chase, where is Monson? Is it in NH or MA? Right now, I live in Andover and am working in North Reading... sounds like we're close! If you're interested, PM me your info and we can grab some food or meet up sometime.

CT line on RT32 in Mass. Just south of the pike. Sounds good. Operate under a pretty big territory. So, I'm actually pretty centrally located.

I'd do the megasquirt and turbo. Not sure what the overlap is on the factory cam, but, that's relatively easy to swap. The low CR and decent cubes, would lend to decent performance considering. Could be mapped out easily.
Another option would be a centrifugal supercharger. Similar idea. A screw would lend to better off idle performance. But, the centrifugal has its advantages in an app like this. Non-positive displacement, if the thing seized, you're not stuck. Plus, and low flows(off idle/cruise), it's pretty much null, so won't inherently increase fuel consumption.

I've been planning my waft build on paper for a few years... 5.3/4l60 swap for me. Whole thing from a donor.. Wiring, dash cluster, etc.

Either way, it's a beautiful truck...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior