Land Rover comes through for my RRC LWB

Blueboy

Adventurer
Hi Bri, yes I started with LRNA to determine if the tank had been replaced as it is a NAS Rangie.

And for sure LRNA told me to bring it to a US dealer as the recall was still open.

However I'm not sure if all of the tanks installed in the global production were bad or only those in the US and Japan.

As the Rover is in Switzerland and not the US, imho Land Rover also could have easily said the tank will be replaced by a US dealer and will be done when the vehicle is in the US.

Again, I am just thankful that it is being changed and the Rover will be better for it.

bri

Adventurer
I'll bail on the discussion since we may never really know. IMO, when there is recalls, they get done no matter what. If it is a personal safety issue, it will happen regardless.

Look at the present recall of 33.8M vehicles, 6 people are dead and 100 people injured representing 0.00001764706% and 0.00029411765% of the defective vehicles thus far. Since the company has admitted fault and recalls have been issued all of these vehicles will get fixed. Otherwise the amount of money from deaths and injuries would quickly consume the company. AND the liability of lawsuits for each injury will result in serious cash.

If something happened and LR did not fix your vehicle and it was a direct cause of your death or injury, they will have to pay much more than the cost of the repair.

They are talking potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions per incident. Therefore they will do it.

I have had a lot of vehicles recalled, for what seems like petty things. If it leaves the manufacturer liable (and it will since that is why they are issuing the recall), they will fix it and in general make it an easy thing to do.

Another example is I got a recall on a pruner/lopper that was likely about $40. Considering shipping 2x, fixing a handle, researching the recall, shipping out recall notices, etc the company will eat much if not all of the profit on the unit rather than risk a lawsuit.

I am glad you are getting it fixed too and it prompted me to look at the recalls on my rovers.... so thanks. :)

PS: Why does this forum delete my carriage returns/white space?

James86004

Expedition Leader
Our 1995 Volvo had a recall on the fuel tank for customers in hot climates, so when I started smelling fumes in 2004 I took it to the dealer here in Tucson. All they did was change the heat shield to prevent the problem from happening, even though it was clear the problem had already happened. I ended up having to pull the tank myself and epoxy a crack in the top.

So, I would say LR did very well, certainly a lot better than Volvo.

Roverchef

Adventurer
I'm an x-Rover dealer tech of 10yrs and all I remember about the tank recalls were that they always told us to "LOOK FOR OTHER THINGS IN THAT AREA OF REPAIR" in order to snag you with a bill in the end. I still bleed green and drive Rovers daily but the "art" the dealerships SUX! Congrats to you for getting them to take care of it on their dime.

rtkraken

After working on fuel tank breather hose issues on my 92 and 95 Classic I note that the factory fitted breather tube appeared to easily deteriorate with age and suffered from severe cracking. The problem with the 95 MY is the breather tube connects at the top center of the tank. Completely inaccessible without dropping the tank. Frustrating configuration. Hopefully its just a simple cracked hose, but either way its almost the same effort as replacing the tank. Good luck!

bri

Adventurer
I'm an x-Rover dealer tech of 10yrs and all I remember about the tank recalls were that they always told us to "LOOK FOR OTHER THINGS IN THAT AREA OF REPAIR" in order to snag you with a bill in the end. I still bleed green and drive Rovers daily but the "art" the dealerships SUX! Congrats to you for getting them to take care of it on their dime.

I actually think that is good service. As long as they point out valid problems. But I still have not recovered from scams and still ask that mechanics keep and let me see failed parts.

The opposite happened to me at a Ford dealership in the last few years. When they were doing work, they noticed deteriorated shocks. The tech replaced them. The rep did not inform me. By the time I got to pick up the truck, the rep said that they had replaced the shocks. Before I had a chance to say anything the rep said it was more work to take them back off and they were not charging me. 4 new shocks and they were not bad ones.

The ford dealer nearest to me continues to offer better prices than independent shops and will drive me to/from the dealership 20 minutes away. I continue to take my vehicle there and it is an relatively ancient 1997 F350. It is the oddest thing. I've never liked dealers, except this one and the LR dealer before there were independent shops and when after market warranties covered mechanical problems.... Do they still do that for LR? The warranty I had on my 95 covered nearly everything other than fluids, brakes, tires...

For some reason, the local independent diesel mechanics like to charge and arm and a leg. For example a diesel emmisions test varies from $45 - $100. Crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz