Apple Watch and its competitors

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah Ryan, I am right there with you, but it might be ban instead of ignore.

It is painful watching grown men act like five year olds. . .

Scott Brady

Founder
I deleted most of the mental breakdown.

This thread is about the Apple Watch, not about if you like Apple. If you don't like Apple, why even rant in a thread about a product you wouldn't buy? Maybe you just like the attention? ;)

l_8e2e29c5d97ffc8a6ee2f15ba2a77e19.jpg

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yeah Ryan, I am right there with you, but it might be ban instead of ignore.

It is painful watching grown men act like five year olds. . .

If you're talking about me I apologize and will refrain from being a ************ in the future.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

worthingtontw

Observer
Too bad this thread went this way so quickly... Hopefully we can get back on track because it is cool new tech.

I run Apple products and own a bunch of their stock. Both have performed. The watch will be a success and the other companies such as Samsung, etc., will come out with thier clone watch as soon as they havre time to copy what Apple has done.

Samsung is on it's second generation of smart watches already. They also offer 4 entirely different models not simply different wrist bands. Apple is the one late to the game on this one. That's not to say the product is going to be bad, but it is a first generation product where as Samsung already has the benefit of consumer testing and feedback to influence their second gen. Not to mention the base price for a Apple Watch is more than the most expensive Samsung offering.

Either way people are going to stick to what they know and already own. I'm sure that the Apple watch will be good but I can't see it being any better than what is already on the market. I say this coming from a house hold with an even split of Apple and Samsung devices including laptops, phones, and tablets.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I didn't even know Samsung made a watch, I've never seen one or known anybody that has used one.

In any case, I bet you $10 thier next watch has pressure touch and crown, along with similar health integration.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ryan, you may want to check out what Samsung already had before apple put their watch out.....see my post of other watches before apple.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I deleted most of the mental breakdown.

This thread is about the Apple Watch, not about if you like Apple. If you don't like Apple, why even rant in a thread about a product you wouldn't buy? Maybe you just like the attention? ;)

l_8e2e29c5d97ffc8a6ee2f15ba2a77e19.jpg

FYI, the heading says APPLE WATCH AND IT'S COMPETITORS. Therefore opening the discussion about it's competiton that was already in the market long before it....again FYI.

kmlacroix

Explorer
The Apple watch will sell millions. The people that buy are not lesser for it. Apple make good products. Samsung makes good products. If you do not want one don't get one. Stop insulting other people because they do not agree with you.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Ryan, you may want to check out what Samsung already had before apple put their watch out.....see my post of other watches before apple.

My observation is that Apple is rarely first with any given technology. They tend to wait until they have both the technology and a concept that lets them make a notable leap in usability. With Apple, you know that you're buying a usable product and not just technology for the sake of technology - that's always been their strong suit.

As for Apple vs Google or whomever - it's an appliance. I hope no one here ever learns what brand toaster I use - I'm not sure I could handle the critical onslaught. Besides, the competition is good for both brands.

I'm on the fence about the whole watch thing. I've never worn one, and I'm not sure I'd care for having a heavy watch on my wrist the entire day.* It also hasn't yet captured my imagination. The demos are cool, but I don't yet see how those things would really benefit me personally. I suspect, though, that it's the sort of thing that once you've lived with it for a few days then suddenly you can't imagine being without it. The iPod was like that for me. My wife wants one, so I suppose in the end I'll probably end up with one myself.

* The interesting thing is that with all the hype around the Apple watch, I've suddenly developed an interest in mechanical watches. So while I can't picture myself wearing an Apple watch all day, after I took a look at an Omega Speedmaster the other day I've now become a watch guy, lol. Now, if someone here could lend me three or four grand...

haven

Expedition Leader
In preparation for the first deliveries of Apple Watch to customers, Apple has a user guide that explains how the Watch works
http://help.apple.com/watch/

Apple also has a pair of web pages about Apple Watch apps, one for those built-in, and a second showcasing 30 examples of watch apps that will be available in the new Watch App Store. Reportedly more than 3000 apps have been approved for the Watch App Store so far.

Built in http://www.apple.com/watch/built-in-apps/

Watch App Store https://www.apple.com/watch/app-store-apps/

A new web site claims to have information on 2300 of the new Watch apps. There's a search function. A quick search for "topo" turns up several results.
http://watchaware.com/watch-apps

haven

Expedition Leader
And here's a teardown of the Apple Watch Sport model by iFixit
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Teardown/40655

iFixit notes that the process of disassembly is destructive (some solder joints sacrificed), and the process is challenging even for experienced technicians. So it's likely that you won't be able to upgrade the watch when an improved model is released.

apple watch ifixit.jpg

Another point I found interesting: iFixit says the process of sealing the two metal halves of the case together is compromised by metal's rapid expansion and contraction during temperature changes. So the Apple Watch is splash resistant, not truly waterproof. My $15 Casio has a plastic case, so it's happy going swimming or taking a trip through the washing machine.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I tried one on yesterday, while I was waiting for my Genius Bar appointment. I was very surprised at how SMALL the watch is. All the photos of the watch that I've seen thus far are extreme close ups, giving the impression that they are quite a bit bigger than they really are. I actually had the impression that they where a bit thick and chunky. Not so. Very small in reality. Too small IMHO.

The operation of the watch wasn't quite as intuitive as say, an iPad, and my fat fingers don't make it easy for certain operations, such as scrolling around the circle of friends. I wasn't as impressed with the screen as I thought I would be. I can see pixelation in text and some graphics, though not in photos. This is surprising because I wear glasses yet still don't see anything over a foot or two with great clarity. I purposely did not hold the watch up to my face to examine it, because I don't think that demonstrates real world flick-glance use of a watch.

I don't wear a watch anymore thanks to my phone, and the apple watch doesn't change that for me.

Sadly, my MacBook Retina fried it's graphics chipset, so they need to replace the motherboard, so I won't get it back for a few days. Sigh.... at least the repair is free :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94