How much gap between cab and camper and cab-over and roof on an f-550

S2DM

Adventurer
Specing out some dimensions on my camperband trying to figure out minimum acceptable distance between cab and camper as well as minimum acceptable distance between cab and cab-over (roof). The truck will be an f-550, 161.8 wheelbase, and the camper is a composite cabover (with very rigid, no flex cabover section).

On my Mog, the distance between cab and camper has been spec'd down to less than 2" (depending on the amount of weight on the cab roof), but the cab-over height has to be very high due to the amount of frame articulation. Whats are the normals on the 550 chassis?

Thanks!

-S

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
How is the camper mounted?

Torsion free bed?
Solid?

It all matters, as it will dictate just how much it moves.

I have my custom camper on my 1-ton F-series mounted using a 3-point pivot setup, and the camper moves quite a bit in comparison to the cab.

We do not have a pas-through, so cab to camper distance is of no concern.

Cab roof to cabover, the tests I did showed that 3-4 inches was just too tight and could very well allow contact, right at the drip rails.
Especially considering the winter traveling we do. Snow buildup is always a problem.

I went with 6"

It might seem like a lot, but it is a safe distance, allows for easy cleaning of that area, and Im completely happy with it.

chassis280.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
On the XV-JP, the overhang is just a couple of inches above the cab. With everything solidly mounted, there's no issue with contact.

attachment.php

However, there is no good way to ever clean the area, which probably doesn't matter, as you can't much see it, either. More of an issue, and worth considering, is that I periodically got quite a noise that had seems to have been caused by wind being forced into that narrow area, creating turbulence and accelerated air that sometimes set up quite a howl. I eventually got it sorted,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...lp-Please-from-a-Jeep-Aerodynamicist-(Really)

but it might be something worth taking into account.

Paul B.

Adventurer
This weekend, I'm test fitting an '88 FWC Keystone on to a junkyard aluminum flat bed I got mounted on a '93 Ford F-350. I'm thinking there will be some flex? My tape measure says the spacing will be 6" from top of cab to cabover. I thought that would be too much. Hmmmm. I'll post some photos. I think this is a common issue with rednecks like myself mounting 48" rise slide-in campers on 42" rise flatbeds. And yes, I'll get some other redneck to fabricate me some utility boxes into the spaces on the sides. I'm hopin' and prayin' the thing don't come out too....ya kno'....like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke