Questions about adding a pop top to my Gen 1

1morebike

Adventurer
Went out and did some measurements of my Gen 1 roof. Really thought it would be considerably longer than the Sami posted at the beginning of the thread. It is a little, but not to much. I figure I can get a 68 x 48 mattress / sleeping area. Width is OK. Length is probably OK. I'm 5'8" (and shrinking it seams) and my wife is 5'4". Won't be as spacious as the RTT. Found 2 fabricators local capable of doing the aluminum work, bending and welding. Will see what they come back with cost wise next week.

Well out at 6'5" I don't think I'll fit. I built a sleeping platform and with the seats all the way forward its just under 79" and 54" so that should be OK

plh

Explorer
Well out at 6'5" I don't think I'll fit. I built a sleeping platform and with the seats all the way forward its just under 79" and 54" so that should be OK

Yea, there is a lot more room in or on a LWB. Also measured the roof of the '92 and could easily have a 88" (7'4") long mattress on top.

JamesW

Adventurer
Did you get the Mazda bongo friendee in the states? They came from the factory with a lift up roof, and I've always looked at them and said if I came across a crashed one I would love to stick the roof onto a 2nd gen LWB paj, they seem to have the same dimensions. A guy in my village has one so I'll see can I get a few pictures of it, though he never puts the roof up.

Mazda_Bongo_Friendee_006.JPG

plh

Explorer
Most likely going ahead with this, but undecided on which truck... the '88 or the '92. Ordered Gore-Tex, No-see-um, and Silnylon today, and planning on ordering a bunch of aluminum tonight, decided to up-size the base material from 16 gauge to 1/8", sticking with 16 gauge for the roof. Have a A/C TIG welding guy and a bender lined up, picked out seals in McMaster...

plh

Explorer
Aluminum ordered. 1/8" 5053. Looking at buying a Tig welder. The guy I had lined up to do the Tig work wants $250 for the job (minimum he said). I can get into a low end a/c Tig for $700. I can weld steel pretty good. My workmate held many welding certifications years back and worked for several years as a commercial welder including Tig work and says he will teach me / help me. He no longer has any equipment. Big debate...

and then I see stuff like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Other-CARGO-/161673333324

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
This past week most of the aluminum arrived. Bender will get it this coming week. Gore-Tex and all the other "cloth" arrived, gas struts arrived, AC/DC Tig machine ordered - but won't arrive until late May. That is probably good timing. I have a bunch of travel (work and a wedding) in May so won't have too much free time this month. This one will go on my '92.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94