EOS REBEL wide angle lens?

Binkie

I am just getting into more advanced shooting with my EOS T3I. I am booked for a VIA rail trip later this year, and I want to make sure I get some great shots within the train, and the scenery outside. Has anyone got advice on a basic wide angle lens?

Thanks in advance, Marc

The 24-105f4 is definitely one of the most versatile lenses, good quality too. If you want to go ultra-wide you could look at the Tokina 11-16.

I'm assuming the camera came with an 18-55 kit lens? Not a bad lens, not spectacular. I always liked the 18-135 that had come with my 60D, then loaned it to my daughter and it got stolen. She now has a Sigma 18-250, nothing to get too excited about but it fit the budget

Binkie

Yes, it came with 18-55, 75-300, 50 lenses. I have been to lookouts, etc, before and not been able to get everything with the 18-55, and when the train is close to the mountains, I am sure it will be tough to get it all. I guess "ultra wide" is the correct term? I was thinking something in the 10-24 range but I don't have the experience to qualify the instinct. I was also thinking on train shots would benefit.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I just so happen to have a Canon 24-105L F4 IS USM lens for sale in the classifieds section for $550. Smoking deal. It's easily in excellent 9+ condition. Great lens. I just moved onto a different platform.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have used the sigma 8-16mm lenses, it was mounted to my sony body, but the lens should be the same for any body mount you buy. It was quite sharp and gave awesome photos. I would have a look at that one if I were you.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I use a Canon 16-35mm mkII F2.8L as my daily lens, which is definitely wide. I also have a Canon 10-22mm ultra wide, and it's a blast. The 10-22 takes amazing photos, though I don't use it nearly as much now that I have the 16-35. There's a terrific thread on POTN (Canon forum) with hundreds of examples of shots taken with the 10-22.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'd probably go with the Canon 10-22; your t3i is a crop camera so it works out to a 16-35mm lens equivalent, which is a nice wide zoom range.

Get your lens and practice before you go, while wide angles have great depth of field and usually take nice sharp pictures, they're not easy to use well (as in, take interesting pictures with)

A camera with a full-frame sensor is one that pretty much approximates the size of the 35mm film frame. The crop sensor is smaller and most closely approximates the APS film frame size. A crop sensor makes a lens somewhat more telephoto by a factor of 1.5 or 1.6 depending on the camera. For example the Nikon D7100 is a crop sensor camera with a factor of 1.5, so a 50mm lens renders an image the size of a 75mm lens on a full frame camera. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For example it is easier to build a lens that is sharp to the corners for the smaller sensor, but the larger sensor usually has a greater dynamic range. There're a lot of other factors as well.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Also, you need to know whether a certain lens you're looking at is made for crop bodies, full frame bodies, or both. The 10-22 is a crop lens. It would be so wide if it were a 10-22 on full frame you'd probably call it a "fisheye", but it would also be much bigger, heavier, and more expensive in order to cover the full frame sensor properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94