CAMPERMOG FANS: Videos of the old girl in her weird new life

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
CoffeeMog (née CamperMog) is still selling coffee in Seattle. She gets a fair amount of coverage on Twitter (#mogsnotmugs; clever, eh?) and the Internet. If you are in Seattle, check at http://www.motofishcoffee.com to see where she is now and will be in the future.

Anyway, I had someone e-mail me to ask if I'd sold here yet (yep, a mere 4.5 years ago), and in going to fetch a picture of her to include in the reply, I came across this YouTube video of her I'd never seen before. It shows CamperMog post-engine rebuild, pre-food stuff install. The guy talking is Dirk Rautenberg, a really talented Unimog mechanic who was in Sutherlin, Oregon but has since, I believe, gone back to Germany. Dirk rebuilt CamperMog's froze-up engine as a more practical (or, at least, more economical) alternative to installing Squeezer's spare OM352, and apparently did some additional work, including changing to a vertical exhaust (probably an excellent change given her environmentally-substandard cold starts).

And finding that then led, in the way of the internet, to find this pretty, freakin' cool video of cyclocross champion--so they say; I wouldn't know as my cyclocrossing days are behind me--Jeremy Powers driving the Mog on a pseudo-road trip to his Nationals competition. Check out the impressive production values, right down to Jeremy's CamperMog t-shirt, one which I intend certainly intend to purchase forthwith. (Not many 1977 trucks get their own t-shirt, you must admit.)

And then there's this short one, which perhaps more accurately portrays life in the slow lane with CamperMog:

Of all the many dozen vehicles I've owned, CamperMog seemed the one to most have a soul of its own. Should that be the case, I'm sure she pauses in the Seattle downtown traffic and thinks back to life on the railroad and her nineties' Sahara expeditions and her trips with me to the Oregon Outback six thousand miles from home and thinks, "What a long strange trip it's been."

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
LOL, pure awesomeness.
You were a good parent Mike to send her off to another loving home.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I like these kind of stories. Hilarious! :elkgrin:

I still keep in touch with the previous owner of my Land Cruiser. Every so often I send him trip photos with the Land Cruiser in it.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Interesting how searches lead to searches....I was looking up old Klaus Schambeck, then that led to wondering what Dirk was up to.....and I came across that video a few pages before I spotted the link to this thread.

I should shoot him an email, would be fun to go over old lies.

Ain't getting any younger, no sir.

Czechsix

Ah well, I tried.

All I get are bounces.

If I do manage to get in contact I'll pass your regards along. I'll see if the mog grapevine still has his contact out there, somewhere.

Czechsix

NP. Let me know if you find out anything, likewise I'll hit up some folks at Calico.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I watched the long video again tonight, and realize that in the staged part where he parks so close to the red Land Rover that he has to crawl out . . . if it'd been any other Mog, or almost any other vehicle with a roof, for that matter, he'd have been trapped inside. The Mog's sliding doors were so cool; nothing beat riding around with them slid open.

And in the part where he's putting in diesel and asks "How much gas does this thing take?," I want to either tell him, "Zero; it's a diesel," or "141 gallons, so plan on running your card through a few more times." ;)

Czechsix

Kinda makes me wonder if it's going to turn out like the Domino's Pizza mog down here in San Diego. Sad case.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Kinda makes me wonder if it's going to turn out like the Domino's Pizza mog down here in San Diego. Sad case.
I think she's OK. I had a lot of negativity when I first heard about the plan, but Motofish has a big investment in her, which they're likely to protect. And she's up and running most every day, which you can't say for many near-40-year-old 416s.

And she's got here own tee-shirt. :)

So I'm now a big supporter . . . though I'm still glad I'm not the one driving here through downtown Seattle traffic.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Those were great. So much stuff here. The cab looks to be the engine compartment too. and the foot box, wonderful! Don't often hear, Mog, park it most anywhere... I am fully on board with the sliding doors. I would love to have those. Great stuff all around. thanks for sharing.

alliemac

Has anyone figured out where CamperMog ended up after the CoffeeMog shut down? Still kind of wishing I had bought it back in 2013 when so tempted... :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It appears that she was, after a gap in time, selling coffee next to a Target store in Frisco, Texas. This came from a Facebook post someone unearthed for me a year or two ago.

If anyone reads this who's in the DFW area and you ever see Camper (Coffee) Mog, please let us know. And should she still be in business, please chat the people up about how she's doing. In particular, how'd she get to Texas? I assumed she was trucked, but if she made it on her own bottom, so to speak, that must have been one monumental trip.

Thanks for bringing her up again. I have another 416 now, but the unique and characterful CamperMog remains irreplaceable.

CamperMog 1.jpg

Coffee Mog.jpg

Attachments

• Camper Mog 007.JPG
    Camper Mog 007.JPG
    890.7 KB · Views: 8

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It appears that she was, after a gap in time, selling coffee next to a Target store in Frisco, Texas. This came from a Facebook post someone unearthed for me a year or two ago.

Wasn't it some sports medicine company in TX that bought it? It's been awhile now, we're getting old.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles