"Old Ordinary" 2005 4Runner Build

Here's my build thread for a 2005 4Runner V8, my first 4x4 and the first time I've ever purchased a car with the intent to modify it - my first toy! The purpose of this build is a comfortable and family friendly truck with better-than-stock offroad capability. This will be a slow build, because I don't know what I want yet and I'm not made of money...

I've decided to name this build "Old Ordinary" because I don't plan on doing anything extreme or fancy, just a straightforward build up that's functional and hopefully a little but fun.

Here's the truck a few days after I brought it home.

f12aa2a263c9a4b75a27b379f67339b3.jpg

Build notes
  • January 22, 2015 - 190xxx - purchase
  • April 9, 2015 - 1926xx km - Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires in 265/70-17
  • April 18, 2015 - CB radio installation - Uniden Pro 510XL & Wilson Little Wil
  • April 28, 2015 - new exhaust, just an ordinary muffler shop setup
  • May 22, 2015 - running board delete
  • Summer 2015 - destroyed the factory front skid at La Montagne Noire with my friends from Club TORQ. :)
  • September 4, 2015 - HCF delete, butt dyno indicates greatly improved performance (see http://www.top4runners.com/ja/2007/hcf.html)
  • September 2015 - RCI skid plates
  • February 2016 - exterior LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com

Last edited:
New tires today! Cooper Discoverer A/T3 in 265/70-17 (about 31.5") - they're slightly bigger than the stock 265/65-17 but fit just fine with no rubbing in normal driving. I went for a short highway drive and was pretty impressed - very grabby and "precise", a big change from the Toyo winter tires I had on before. I had to keep sharp on the road because I felt that these tires really grab every detail of the road, and perhaps because they're slightly oversized, they require a lot more fine steering corrections.

They're a bit noisy, but not so much that it's annoying. I've never had all-terrain tires before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm looking forward to getting off-highway and seeing what I can do.

1b183083d3bb1b19ac879c1c9d070b17.jpg

vicali

Adventurer
Looks great!
That gen of 4runner is growing on me.. Are you going to run those year round then?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Well, that's not old...or ordinary. The AT3s sound like some of the best.

Does it have ATRAC?

Did you keep the steel wheels? I like 'em!

Well, that's not old...or ordinary. The AT3s sound like some of the best.

Does it have ATRAC?

Did you keep the steel wheels? I like 'em!

All 4WD 4th gens should have ATRAC.

I kept the steel wheels with my winter tires mounted. I think they're kind of ugly, I might paint them black for next season.

And I just realised that I no longer have a spare in the same size as my winter tires... Beginner mistake!

Today I installed a Uniden Pro 510XL CB and Wilson Little Wil antenna. The radio goes on the passenger side of the centre console where there is lots of leg room. I ran the antenna cable under the front of the console, under the driver's seat, and up the back of the B pillar. Its almost completely hidden this way.

I also soldered a cigarette lighter plug to the wires to facilitate removal of the radio.

The antenna hasn't been tuned yet and I'm undecided if I'll put up the mic mount. I'm just glad to have gotten this far today.

1d8f5a1fc4fd944943c3545f243ddd28.jpg

e19243b57ccd32748fdbb96b07a67364.jpg

Running boards - deleted, finally! I pulled them off at night at the campground of a Vermont State Park, and I'm glad I did or I'd have probably wrecked them - or my rocker panels - the next day...
7b8d3b06a42f4ce687b758ded78ecfd9.jpg

thegreattriumph

Stoked for this - Goals this year is to pay off my Xterra (2WD) and buy either an older FJ60/FJZ80 or a 4runner (MPG are slightly better) - I like this a lot!

Last week I did the HCF delete and the truck definitely feels "snappier".

My front skid is also completely destroyed, so a full set of RCI skids have been ordered. Waiting impatiently!

And the front right brake is getting stiff, I'm going to have to look at replacing the calipers or doing a full 5th gen upgrade.

michael_l

Observer
Looks good, how are you liking the tires still? Look forward to a report on the skids - I have an identical 2005 V8 I just picked up for camping duty so, I'll be interested to see where you go with simple and function additions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94