Is Any of GSI's Cookware made in the U.S.?

lesabret

I need some simple pieces of cookware for a new teardrop. I am looking basically for an 8" frying pan and a companion sauce pan or small dutch oven type pan and a lid. I was reading favorable comments about GSI Outdoors cookware in several posts and decided to check them out. Looking at their web site, it proclaims the company to be based in America. That sounded good so I stopped by a local Gander Mountain to check out the cookware. To my surprise, it said "made in china". I was disappointed, as I want to support and spend my dollars where possible with American companies making stuff in America. Not aiming to slam the other guys, just want to support the home team.

If I go with cast iron, I know I can get Lodge brand made here in the U.S. For lighter, non-stick cookware, does GSI Outdoors offer any cookware manufactured in the U.S.?

Are there any other camping cookware manufacturers that are of good quality and made here in the U.S? Cephalon makes at least one line of their cookware in Toledo, OH. Saw them at a Bed Bath & Beyond. Don't know if it is good for camping or more suitable for the home. I know it's not suitable for use over a fire, but I will be using a two burner stove with propane. I want easy cleanup, just a good wiping out, maybe a little splash of water depending on what was prepared in the pan, dry it and forget it.

AndrewP

Explorer
Best nesting cookware I have used:

http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Gourmet...d=1428679755&sr=8-2&keywords=nesting+cookware

Perfect for a tear drop and $50 less than I paid this time last year. Highly recommended. The handles on this are great, unlike the handles on the similar but inferior Stanisport.

Add a cast iron or lodge *steel* skillet to these and you are all set. I have a preference for steel over cast iron. Lighter, tougher, same great performance.

All the GSI stuff I have seen is very light duty.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Are there any other camping cookware manufacturers that are of good quality and made here in the U.S? Cephalon makes at least one line of their cookware in Toledo, OH. Saw them at a Bed Bath & Beyond. Don't know if it is good for camping or more suitable for the home. I know it's not suitable for use over a fire, but I will be using a two burner stove with propane. I want easy cleanup, just a good wiping out, maybe a little splash of water depending on what was prepared in the pan, dry it and forget it.

I've been using a Calphalon "Contemporary" non-stick omelette pan atop my Coleman propane stove for maybe 1½ years now. It's held up very well and is made in Toledo. The Calphalon "Simply" (or maybe it's "Simply Calphalon") is another good pan that's built well (and has a bit more flat surface area in the bottom than a same-size Contemporary pan). Both are nice and thick to spread the heat well.

As with any Teflon-coated pan, you have to be careful what utensils you use, but other than that it's kept it's non-stick attributes very well.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Best nesting cookware I have used:

http://www.amazon.com/Magma-Gourmet...d=1428679755&sr=8-2&keywords=nesting+cookware

Perfect for a tear drop and $50 less than I paid this time last year. Highly recommended. The handles on this are great, unlike the handles on the similar but inferior Stanisport.

Add a cast iron or lodge *steel* skillet to these and you are all set. I have a preference for steel over cast iron. Lighter, tougher, same great performance.

All the GSI stuff I have seen is very light duty.

That looks like a great set! I made a quick call to Magma directly and confirmed that all of their products are made in the U.S.A. Made the same call to GSI and none of their cookware is made in the U.S.A. I'd also like to echo that the GSI products I've used/owned over the years does seem to be light duty; to be expected though as much of it is designed for backpackers. That being said, I do own a GSI 6-cup stainless percolator that's traveled with me for 7 years of hard use with no issues other than having to replace the plastic viewing dome on the top due to melting over the fire a couple times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier