Death Wobble in my Series

Sleam

Explorer
Press new bushings in the frame as well -to remove the old bushings I usually use a 1" hole saw coming in from each side to remove what's left of the rubber and carefully split the outer steel sleeve with a hacksaw then drive it out.
Get a 12" length of 5/8 acme threaded rod and some acme nuts and big washers (source - McMaster-Carr) to press the bushing into the frame. Be sure to use anti-sieze on the id of the frame hole and check the frame for rust.

I'd go ahead and replace the Railko bushes too if it was my truck. Death Wobble is no fun.
If teh springs have sagged flat the Caster angle changes too.

This s great to know. Bit by bit, right? Also someone said the tires might be part of the problem, tall and narrow and who knows when last balanced (oh, and old too!). I think I'll check out getting other tires in the summer on credit. Narrow tires are more likely to get caught in the grooves on the roads is that right? They are 750x 16 I think. (From England when it was shipped over in 2005). Thanks for all your input, it helps me feel that I can do this. Patience is the key...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
7.50x16 tires are fine on a Series.
I strongly advise you to get a workshop manual. It helps greatly to know what people are talking about when they are offering advice.
Ideally the factory manuals, but at the very least a Haynes manual. (I may have an extra Haynes in the bookcase if you're interested).
Get a swivel pin kit for it.

LR Max

Local Oaf
7.50x16 tires are fine on a Series.
I strongly advise you to get a workshop manual. It helps greatly to know what people are talking about when they are offering advice.
Ideally the factory manuals, but at the very least a Haynes manual. (I may have an extra Haynes in the bookcase if you're interested).
Get a swivel pin kit for it.

X2. Also with the advent of smart phones, I see no reason not to always have a PDF copy on ones phone.

Sleam

Explorer
I still use an old flip phone so the PDF isn't going to work. I do have the green bible and Haynes too, it's just mechanical abbreivations I don't get! Anyway, it's all looking good now. Wheel bearings good, new hub kit fitted last year and still good, just need to balance tires or get new ones at some point if I keep it. I've put in on the market so we'll see what happens next.
Thanks for ideas and help offered,
s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94