Fujifilm X-T1 discussion

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Fuji's image processing is awesome. I have been shooting Fuji since the s9100 came out. Nope, the 9100 was not good in low light and you had to fight to get a good shot. But outdoors photography, It mopped up the rebel xt in images. I went then to an Olympus E series system. That had similar results to the Fuji but better low light photography. I developed a small issue with my 510 so I sold my entire kit to get a sony kit. Images from it were flat and I just did not like them. Sold that off and purchased my X-S1 and X10 fujis. Photography is awesome again. The photos from these two cameras "POP". What ever Fuji does when processing after you hit the trigger, they know what they are doing. the X-T1 is awesome. I am done dragging around lenses and stuff. My X-S1 has wide and long in one lens, and is built like a tank. If I do get the urge to buy a DSLR again, it will be the X-T1, or whatever flagship camera Fuji comes out with. I am Fuji for good now. I dabbled with everything besides Nikon and Fuji produces the best looking images.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The perfect bag for this camera was suggested to me today. Tanner Goods Bag.

http://www.tannergoods.com/collections/bags/products/field-camera-bag-3

IMG_0010-32_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0046-5_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0049-5_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0069-4_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0070-4_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_0071-4_1024x1024.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Dig the bag. I use a small Filson backpack with a padded intert. All the Fuji stuff fits, along with my iPad and accessories. I can also fit the XT-1 kit in a tan kbag on the moto. Compact for sure

kojackJKU

Do you run the battery grip too? hows the balance with it on there. That is the one thing I miss on my X-S1, is a battery grip. I had them on my sonys, and all Olympus cameras.

Scott Brady

Founder
The limited battery life is a minor complaint with the XT-1, so it does benefit from the battery grip. However, my main goal with this camera is compactness, so I just bring extra batteries (which are small). If someone was using this camera for studio work, the grip would be required.

Regarding balance and overall ergo improvements with the grip, yes, it helps with that too. That body is pretty small, and the 50-140mm lens is a lunk

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Minor complaint?

I use 3 batteries a day hahaha.

I use F-Stop gear bags. I have a loka with a large ICU that carries all my lenses, 3 flashes, triggers, and etc. best bag ive ever owned. paired with the chest carrier the xt1 and grip just barely fits in there

kojackJKU

The limited battery life is a minor complaint with the XT-1, so it does benefit from the battery grip. However, my main goal with this camera is compactness, so I just bring extra batteries (which are small). If someone was using this camera for studio work, the grip would be required.

Regarding balance and overall ergo improvements with the grip, yes, it helps with that too. That body is pretty small, and the 50-140mm lens is a lunk

Yeah, that's what I figured.....Same goes for my X-S1 when zoomed out. wish The body had a bit more meat on it to balance out the length of the lens.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
If I may offer some criticism of the x-t1 , I like Scott am still using two systems and agree the x-t1 isn't as good as some DSLR's, in my case the D810. A few issues I've uncovered with the x-t1 are, first, Fuji cheats with it's ISO settings. If you shoot and compare the x-t1 to another camera shot using the same settings the x-t1's images will be underexposed, in some cases by quite a bit. After doing a little digging a lot of people seem to have discovered this. Libraw.org reports having to make these adjustments in Lightroom to x-t1's files if you want an apple to apples comparison with other cameras ISO performance.

ISO 400 / +0.72EV
ISO 800 / +0.72EV
ISO 1600 / +0.72EV
ISO 3200 / +1.38EV
ISO 6400 / +2.38EV

Once you get into the 3200 and 6400 range Fuji is playing a little dirty ball with it's ISO ratings. The files still look pretty clean but just not as good as Fuji would like you to believe they are at a true 3200 and 6400.

The second issue is raw conversion. If you use Lightroom you leave a lot on the table in terms of resolution. While Lightroom has gotten better with its raw conversion of the x-trans files it's still not as good as Capture One which is my default converter, or a number of other converters. For this I blame Adobe. I'll post some samples of the differences between LR and Capture One a little later.

kojackJKU

Trevor, If you ever feel like moving the X-T1 out of the family, look me up. Also, how does the 810 compare to the d4s? I know there's fairly significant price difference. But since Nikon released the D3, I really been intrigued by them for sports. My son plays hockey and the stadium is hard to shoot in. I figure the d4s would kill in there.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
D8xx series and D4 series are completely different animals - they both have the AF to keep up with sports, and great high iso performance, but if you really want to have fun shooting sports get a D3, D3s, D4, or D4s. They have the frame rate and buffer to capture longer sequences and get those killer shots where a split second makes the difference between nice and wow perfect. They also can go much higher in iso even though any of the recent Nikons are pretty good there. I have some iso 10,000 shots with the D4 that are extremely clean with the right processing.

Used prices currently approximately 1200 for D3, 1800 for D3s, 3600 for D4, bank for D4s :)

That said I sold my D4 and kept my D800 since I don't do sports or fast action generally and it's a more versatile camera for me.

kojackJKU

Yeah. Even a d3 would be good. As I said, the photos that come from my fujis are my favorite, in the stadium, a d3 would be a boon.

Scott Brady

Founder
Agreed. The XT-1 is not yet a replacement for the best from Canon and Nikon. The new 5D also raises the bar on resolution to the next galaxy.

The XT-1 is a perfect travel camera, and for me, it is brilliant on the motorcycle.

I feel it is also important to note that the XT-1 is their first foray into this type of body. I suspect the XT-2 is going to be pretty rad.

The ISO revelation also REALLY provides some insights. I was exposure compensating (easy on this camera) to adjust for the darker images.

landsharkman

Adventurer
I love my XT1s, wonderful all around camera system, great size, great lenses, great sensor, even if the "ISO is off". Do the big Canon and Nikon cameras do more yes, but so does my Hassy/Phase setup do some things better than both Nikon and Canon. Each camera system has plus and minus, depending on what one wants or needs. For the vast majority of shooters here the Fuji XT1 is more than capable of producing jaw dropping images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles