Fujifilm X-T1 discussion

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Since this is on the home page, I felt we needed a thread to specifically talk about this camera. It seems to fit what many of us like about our SLRs and need in our DSLRs.

http://expeditionportal.com/adventure-photographer-fujifilm-x-t1-18-55mm-xf-zoom/

fujikit-640x546.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
It's a super sweet set up. I'm just getting used to it and the various features. So far, an excellent option. Scott has been shooting his since January, so he's got more time with it than I do. His Iceland images are simply gorgeous.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Christophe,

Is Brady just using the supplied 18-55mm lens for these shots?
iceland-640x484.jpg

brute-640x426.jpg

How about for your pics?

DSCF0080-640x426.jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just finished reading through the DP Review article. It seems the only big gripe they had was with the movie quality. I'm interested in this for the stills so that is not a deal breaker for me.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have three lenses for the XT-1

10-25 F4
56mm F1.4 ADP
50-140mm F2.8

The Defender shot was taken with the 50-140mm F2.8, which is tack sharp, certainly as good as the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS for sharpness

The Brute shot was taken with the 56mm F1.4 ADP. Not really a fair comparison to anything, as that is the finest portrait lens I have ever shot with, particularly with the ADP (Apodizing) filter. The bokeh is creamy deliciousness. It is also $1,600

I will say that the XT-1 is not a better camera then my 5D MKIII. I have decided to keep both. The 5D is a much better action camera and infinitely better in low light. For commercial shoots and traveling out of the vehicle, I still grab the Canon. For the motorcycle or pure photojournalist work (i.e. low profile), I grab the XT-1. I will also say that the Fujinon lenses are exceptional and half the price of a comparable Canon L. They have exceeded my expectations and I love the sharpness. I believe that Fuji is doing a much better job matching lenses to camera bodies, both from a tolerance standpoint and the in-camera corrections.

Raw photo from the XT-1 with 56mm 1.4
882990_10153706035218275_1760343235129168253_o.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Whew. That is a crisp shot.

Beowolf, my shots have been using exclusively the 18-55 kit lens. Normally kit lenses are a slight step above junk, but this lens is worth having. The zoom range is great for travel photography.

Tomorrow I head to Moab to ride the White Rim trail in one push on my mountain bike. I'll have this camera with me. No more humping 5D with heavy glass.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Christophe

We expect to see some great shot. Of course doing it in one push will not leave a lot time for pictures. You should start a trip report thread to discuss your ride. Not enough of us do long Mtn bike rides.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is an entire gallery from the XT-1. This is more representative of the range of quality, not just a few perfect shots. The first half of the images were taken with the 50-140mm 2.8, the second half the 10-25mm F4.

picture-26.jpg

Here is the entire gallery: ARB WARN Industry Run in Moab

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting those Scott. I like the DOF look it produces, unlike so many smaller sensor cameras.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
love my XT-1s

sold all my canon gear and swapped when the xe2 came out, then upgraded from a pair of xe2 to xt1

best thing i ever did

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles