My '98 Montero

KyleT

Explorer
Picked up this blue 1998 NL Gen 2.5 Montero. Found it in Facebook but the previous owner did post on here some. 198k miles, and basically no rust. Cold weather package with locker. Paid more than others on here but with brand new tires and lots of work done to it I felt like it was worth it. Plus I have seen one for sale down here and it was in terrible shape.

I rented a car and drove from Fort Worth to Colorado Springs. Picked it up with no test drive and drove it home 680 miles. I did have my brother check it out as he is stationed up there. Averaged almost 18mpg at 75-80.

All of the major stuff timing belt Ect. has been done. But I have been getting a small list together of stuff and some small upgrades and maybe some questions. I have buffed it out and waxed it. So at least the paint is happy.

So far:
Front Cam seal on right bank is leaking
Left exhaust manifold looks like it has a hairline crack
All of the steering tie rods ends have play
Rear swaybar bushings worn
Rear radius arm to frame bushings have play
High low shifter won't go into low and is super loosely goosey, but I am getting a white ball shifter from a member on here
Valve seals maybe leaking? PO said it burns a qt every 1k but I have not seen that yet and have only seen smoke once or twice on a hot restart.
Drivetrain whine intermittently
Super slow to accelerate off the line, and super hard reverse to drive shift and sometimes 1-2 shift.
Drain and refill trans with sp3 again, po accidentally put max life in it but drained it out.

Less important:
Cup holder broken or just sucks
Left rear seat recline spring spun I think
Need to find third row seats
Sunroof is super slow and will run the motor with no movement sometimes
Tire cover
Pajero decals/badges
Random interior pieces missing or worn
Fog light bulb burned out
Has a pretty good star on the windshield, and it's an aftermarket glass I think and looks pretty thin.

Upgrades:
Factory ish winch bumper or winch tray
Hitch
Tail lights, I really want the Chinese gen 2.5 lights that are on the clone that's been posted, or pajero ones. Not sure.
Maybe a 1" lift and my 35's on fj cruiser steelies for off road
Lower door trim decals cracking, maybe remove or replace
Lubricate all power window tracks and slides to make them smoother and quieter
Some softer shocks. It has koni Reds and they are pretty firm.
Gearing?

So far though I love it. I have had rovers for the last eight years and if I had known about these trucks I would have jumped ship along time ago.

I am now currently looking for a 04-06 gen3 for my wife.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 58

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
That thing is awesome, I wish mine still looked like that.

KyleT

Explorer
Nice job on the paint! Want to come over to do mine? :)
It's a lot of work lol.
a1ce02389062f2e111d0495bdb24dbf2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleT

Explorer
Replaced the steering ball joints. So much tighter now.
Cracked the Torsen bars 2 turns, so the front sits .5" higher now and the ride is much better, needs alignment though I think now.

Replaced the worn out red ball 4wd shifter with a gen 2 white ball version. Way better. Took a while to get the spring lined up. Low range works now. But the front wheel lights flicker now in high 4 and h4 lock.

Need to replace the auto shifter pivot bushings. Anyone know a p/n?

And the flip out cup holder is missing it's arms. P/n for that? Or maybe an alternative?

mr_ed

Toolbag
I've got a pair of 3rd row jump seats out of the 98 I just picked up. Practically brand new. Shipping would probably be a dousy (I'm in Astoria OR) but if you're interested shoot me a PM. Seats are practically new...I got 'em listed in the "Parts for Sale" section with pics.

Nice looking rig man!

KyleT

Explorer
Hard shift I think has been taken care of. The kick down cable was 5mm too tight. So got at to spec and i can't even feel the 1-2 shift now.

Last edited:

KyleT

Explorer
Kick down. Autocorrect messed it up.
Shifter bushing here today.

48912fe5109c0d60dd5b7ea2ab1b1251.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior