Cogburn Expedition Build-up

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Took advantage of the first really nice day this spring to change over my Cogburn CB4 from winter mode...

CB41.jpg

...to Expedition ready. Additions are as follows: Blackburn Outpost Cargo rear rack and fork cages; Cogburn frame pack; bottle cage to underside of downtube for fuel bottle; Wanderlust Designs handlebar pack set; Garmin eTrex 20 GPS (in lieu of cyclometer); Jandd Mountain panniers. Still tweaking to set-up some. Will take a couple of shake-down trips to figure out what works, what doesn't, and what could be better with something else in it's place. Tent is a Kelty Gunnison 2, and the Thermarest is the "Luxury" model.

Cogburn15.jpg

Big trip will be in August, across the western Adirondack Mountains from Thendara to Big Moose by train, then bike from there to the summer camp I went to as a kid, on Rondaxe Rd. (The old Durant rail line) to Inlet, down past Limekiln Lake to the Moose River Plains, then east to Indian Lake ("is a place you can make with your little one...")

Christophe, your article in Overland Journal inspired me. I have had several say they wanted to ride with me, but nothing firm yet. If you can do Iceland solo, I can sure do the Adirondacks that way!

Oh yeah, we gonna have some fun!
Hans

Nice to see a fellow fatty here! I need to order some gear for mine while I am still working at a bike shop. Sounds like you are in for a fun trip.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Christophe, your article in Overland Journal inspired me. I have had several say they wanted to ride with me, but nothing firm yet. If you can do Iceland solo, I can sure do the Adirondacks that way!

Oh yeah, we gonna have some fun!
Hans

There are many trips I do that are way better to do solo. The harder they are, the more likely I will do them alone. Managing my own suffering and risks is hard enough. Compounding that by balancing it with another person is just...it sucks. My best friend and I have done some super hard trips and the interplay between our ups and downs is nuts.

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
how do you like the rear rack?
So far it has been working really well, mostly for fishing trips in NW WI. It fits my Jandd panniers just fine, seems to hold them tight, although at the slower speeds of a fat-bike, I haven't really tested the bouncing retention. Attached is a picture of the fishing set-up.

BCFishing1R.jpg

Two-Wheeled Explorer

Proceeding on...
Didn't happen. My elderly mother had a stroke the first week of August, so we spent the whole time in Suburban D.C. with her until she was out of danger. Plan to try again next summer.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
These are cool bikes. There was a brown camo one on HUGE sale a few months ago at my LBS, kind of surprised they haven't taken off more than they did with the hunting/fishing crew.

Butch

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Didn't happen. My elderly mother had a stroke the first week of August, so we spent the whole time in Suburban D.C. with her until she was out of danger. Plan to try again next summer.

Very sorry to hear, but time spent with family trumps all adventures. I do lurk on your blog and enjoy your trip/gear reports. I was kind of worried since I didn't hear about the fishing trip to your childhood camp.

BTW: GO PACK GO! :elkgrin:<--30 pointer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior