83 Toyota Sunrader Project

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Picked this up yesterday.......been trying to find a clean Chinook but have been thwarted by cig smoke, rust, and rot at every turn. This popped up on the local CL so I went for a look/drive. Virtually rot free, no rust, ridiculously low miles. The rear axle has not been upgraded so I have to figure that part out although it's an 18ft model so they were never recalled. Probably just replace the bearings and convert to a single rear wheel with d loads for the time being.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
that is slick... i'd have a very hard time not SAS'ing, 3.4'ing, and generally messing with that thing. :)

Crenshaw

Adventurer
That thing is frickin cool. Hard to find one that looks like that anymore. Just like you, I see the occasional Chinook or Dolphin pop up around here but they're usually 100% trashed. That mileage is insane. I loved the 20r + 4spd in my old first gen.

Any pics of the inside?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Took a few before work today...kinda dark but you can get the idea. I'm considering flipping it but it's also super cool and drives pretty nice. Not entirely sure which direction to head.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Lol, thanks guys. After contemplating inside it last night I am pretty sure I'm going to end up selling it and continue the pursuit for a chinook. It's super comfy and clean but it's really way more than my fiancee and I need even if it is a super small one. Driving this even a short distance really made me miss the Toyota 22r and manual combo though.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
No I live in TN now......I would love to look at that one, if someone does I might be willing to do a fly and drive.

pete c

JUst joined this board. I am a former Sunrader owner. I had the 22 ft model. The shorty really is cool and the 22R 4 speed drivetrain is the way to go. Now that we are pretty much empty nesters, I would like to find a shorty Sunrader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz