Trailer hitch motorcycle carriers, Anyone use them?

rc51kid

Adventurer
I have a RC51 that weighs around 450lb. I was toying with the idea of bringing it out to Yellowstone NP with my for 5 months this summer. But i dont want to pull a trailer 2000 miles. Any ideas if any of those hitch mount carries area any good? I do see some rated for 500 or 600 pounds. Feedback would be great!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
They work fine. A little wobbly but that can be fixed with no problem. I used one when I first started riding motorcycles in junior high. Only problem I remember having was that when the bike was on it, it was difficult to open the back doors to get what I needed.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
You just need a big enough primary machine that can handle the tongue load on the hitch. 600lbs were talking F250 if your packing anything in the bed regarding supplies etc.

jkam

nomadic man
I had one made for the back of my RV. Added 2 additional receivers and with 3 mount points is very stable and secure.
Spend the money on something nice and secure and be done with it. I don't worry about my bike back there at all
and have been hauling it around for 7 years now.

11455175245_5d86b893da_z.jpg
[/URL]Super Sherpa 1, 2013 by jkam69, on Flickr[/IMG]

rc51kid

Adventurer
I found this one which is really inexpensive, proper load rated and available for local pick up. I figure i will put some plywood and grip tape on top to make it eaiser to role a heavy bike on it. I might also use a long 2x8 to make a longer ramp. Anyone have anay thougts on this one?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=125910&gclid=CPPknPXW9MQCFcXm7AodW1EASg

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365149_200365149?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Automotive%20%3E%20Cargo%20Haulers%20%2B%20Ladder%20Racks&utm_content=125910&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=125910&gclid=CPPknPXW9MQCFcXm7AodW1EASg

ihatemybike

Explorer
I use the aluminum Harbor Freight version of that rack to haul around my KE100. Use it on the back of my Astros, the Blazer and the Liberty. Haven't had any issues thus far. On the Liberty we do have relocate the spare because the rack doesn't stick out far enough to clear it.

I can't tell if the Northern Tool rack has anything anti-sway built into it. The Harbor Freight version clamps down on the sides of the receiver. While it does help, I go one step further, after the bike is properly strapped to the rack I run two more ratchet straps from the bike to the outer bumper mounts, which effectively eliminate sway. My bike is 250lbs lighter than yours though.

Last edited:

rc51kid

Adventurer
Thanks guys. What would be your thoughts on running air bags ini the rear springs of the truck? I have OME 861/862 springs with 30mm spacers. But 450 pouinds plus mount and hitch is a lot to put on the rear end. Do you guys think air bags will be manditory or just a good idea?

ihatemybike

Explorer
Grab a few friends (about 500-600 lbs worth) and have them sit in the very back to see how much the truck will sag. If it looks substantial, air bags or Timbrens would probably be a good idea.

rc51kid

Adventurer
I looked at my hitch. It is a Reese hitch that says 500 max tongue weight. I think i will be cutting it too close. So i am scrapping the idea. I think eventually i will sell the RC51. I just dont ride it. I also have a 1995 CR125 that i bought as a basket case. It is mostly rebuilt with fresh forks and shock and most suspension bearings and so on. I needs a top end i am thinking of doing a Eric Gorr 144 kit. Thinking of just using it as a woods bike but i really want something with a light and a license plate so i can explore forestry roads. I only weigh 125lb so the 125cc should be about right. Maybe i will build it up and carry it on my truck. I sure wish i could put a light on it and plate it. How do you think a CR125 would do as a small woods bike for a light rider with a 144 kit in it?

ihatemybike

Explorer
I hear ya. I won't purchase a bike unless I know I can get a plate on it.

Only negative I can think of using the CR as a woods bike is the typical MX bike high rev narrow power band. If you can tune it wider I think it would be more enjoyable.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I might get one of these Ultimage MX haulers.. I borrowed this one and it did quite well for a few hundred miles of pavement, and about 20 miles on bumpy dirt roads with my XR400R on it.

Philthyphil

Observer
They work good enough, I bought a cheap one. You will be limited to access to the back if that is a concern. Also, agree on your suspension. See how much it will sag and beef up the suspension with air bags or just deal with the crappy handling if it's a one time thing. I used it on a 25 y/o landcruiser though. If the road gets too rough with dips you may drag it.

junglecaptn

Versahauler VH-55RO vs Ultimate MX Hauler

I've studied both these ramps here and elsewhere and can't decide. I have a Ram 1500 pickup with air suspension and want to carry a Yamaha WR250R. Both holders will more than carry the 300 lb Yamaha so no problem there. The Versahauler is slightly more in price. The Yamaha foot pegs are spring loaded and a little different than the intended attachment on the MX Hauler. Sort of like the wheels protected on the Versahauler but the hydraulic lift seems nice. I drive on dirt roads part of the time and am often solo. Does anyone have any further opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online