Driving style and the Toyota 2.7litre

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I am a long time reader here on expo, and had a little "build" of my 2.5litre 5spd Subaru Impreza. Long story short, brother wrecked it. Finally bought a "new" vehicle.
1997 Toyota 4runner with a 5speed and the 2.7litre engine. It's a 4x4, and white. Great little vehicle, and very clean.

I had a few questions about it before I start a thread on it.
1. How can i mount my iPad to the dash? Ram mounts? 1st gen iPad, just great for Bond movies on long drives.
2. I get a p0441 code sometimes, albeit very rarely. Does this impact my MPG?
3. How rare is it? What gears does it come with stock?
4. I'm thinking of adding some sound deadening material in the doors, etc. when I put in my new speakers. Is it worth it?

What kind of driving style will yield the most fuel efficient result? Where should I be shifting (seems like around 2500rpm) and do I even need 5th gear in town when I rarely get over 50mph? Just seems like it would use more fuel bogged down. Are there any easy mods to improve fuel economy like an air intake? I don't offroad, just use it to tow my little sailboat, haul my girlfriend and our bikes/scuba gear around, and snowboards in winter.

Thanks and i'll be starting a thread for it very soon.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I was hoping I could help with at least one of those things, but it looks like the diff ratios didn't get printed in the 1997 brochure. I'm pretty sure it has 4.10:1 in the differentials though.

It is fairly rare, for sure. The majority of 3rd gens have the 3.4/auto combination.

I wouldn't shift universally at one RPM point. It really depends on the grade you're on, how it's loaded and how fast you want to accelerate. I know my parents' 3.4 likes to lug around, so I usually shift it pretty early and end up in 5th at about 45 mph on the flats. The 2.7 might like to spin a bit more. If it's anything like mine with the 2.4, it gets the same fuel economy no matter how it's loaded or driven. You can do some experimenting and measure fuel economy by tank to see if anything makes a difference. I wouldn't do any fuel economy mods--usually an ineffective waste of money. Running the tire pressure on the high side helps reduce rolling resistance and can help fuel economy a bit, but it rides rougher and can make the tires wear unevenly.

Enjoy the truck!

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I appreciate the reply, I've been trying different shift points. Here in Georgia, it's pretty flat. I may try and up the tire pressure a little bit to see if that helps.

I'm now looking for a pioneer single din to throw in it, and find a way to mount up my old iPad for movies.

Driving it soon down to Florida to go cave diving, just want to be comfortable.

Also, mine doesn't have cruise control...can I add that in easily? Or is it a pain?

basfire

Great vehicle! We just sold my wife's 97 4Runner identical to yours to our niece and her husband who live in Colorado. We bought it with only 20,000 miles in 2003 and sold it with 283,000. It was my wife's full time ride. I kept up the maintenance and fixed the few things that managed to wear out over time. We thought our daughter was going to be driving it so I did some work on it in December. Replaced "original factory clutch" at 279,000 and it still had some life left. Original water pump and alternator. Front brakes for only the second time. Rears are still original. At 240,000 replaced the cylinder head. I had to pry it out of my wife's hands even though we bought a super clean 2010 4Runner. I would have kept it but could not justify owning a 6th vehicle for only 2 of us. Enjoy your '97!

lugueto

Adventurer
It might not be a 4Runner, but my 3RZ Prado is usually shifted around 3000-3500. It moves pretty well, at 70mph it is at around 3300rpm and I can get around 550km out of 70 liters of fuel

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I just wanted to be sure that I'm getting the most out of it that I can.

Do any of you have suggestions for headunits? Gotta get my stereo back in so the Rolling Stones sound proper again. I had preferred Pioneer, but don't know if there has been something new as of recent.
I already have a speakers and a 1000w amp for it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94