Benny's Gen 3 Montero

Djbenny

Adventurer
I thought I would do my own build and progress on my 2001 Montero. I've had her for less than a year and it's been such a great truck. I love it. I purchased it in July 2014.
This is how I bought it, with the dealer plate on front.
006476f02b84c1561e4dd14644c8dcb1.jpg

Painted the tow hooks red and the skid plate black.
7df21b422f4f255c36e6458201aebdf3.jpg

Installed HID bulbs and ballasts. Plug-n-play. Easy install.
0422729898387ce2fb0e0fa7bd4bf758.jpg

Swapped out front grill for a newer grill. Painted it black with plastidip.
083f0ce9908387ff13d8571984afdab7.jpg

Makes it look more modern. I think. And installed bug deflector.

Installed the Hella 500 spotlights.
9519a021b37377c0f4740f3fc6052fc9.jpg

This is her current state. Plastidiped wheels and chrome on mirrors. And tinted windows to 5%.
7f5e608bfc0b84fd717cdcb1061a1b2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Djbenny

Adventurer
Moved my A/C controls to the lower din to make room for the new double din Pioneer DVD player. It was pretty easy but took half an hour to take all the pieces apart. Luckily the HVAC controls are digital. This way Best Buy was able to do the install for free. I had them put the hands free mic in the middle so the wife can talk on the phone as well, while I am driving.
5bd852bd89b40f1fdbe69011c765b4cb.jpg

cbab54e849efbef398479b6fa31cee65.jpg

1993d927c7f365ef5d9ba5478b1ce758.jpg

74baaf4e949d6cec00316528a695dbe9.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Looks good! I like that deck. I wish I would've went for the touchscreen. Did you get the Bluetooth version?

Edit: lol I guess I didn't read all the way down...or look at the first pic very well...cause it says Bluetooth on the screen lol.

Is it friday yet? Lol

Djbenny

Adventurer
Yeah the touch screen is nice. It's Bluetooth and it's awesome because when I start it up it plays from my iPhone where I left off automatically. The radio is HD as well. Almost Friday though! Ha ha.

jhill15

Explorer
I had a sony Bluetooth head unit In another vehicle and when I left my phone's Bluetooth on it would pair as soon as I turned my ignition on. It was nice, just get in and go. No having to pair it each time. Its also sweet being able to control Pandora and Iheartradio from the headunit.

FullMonte

Adventurer
That double din makes a whole lot of difference doesn't it? It modernizes our trucks to compete with today's vehicles. Did you get a backup camera?

Djbenny

Adventurer
@FullMonte I know it's very nice. No I didn't do the back up camera. I should have. But I want a good quality one like the dealers have in factory setups. I will have to do some research. But since I don't have one, I don't really see the need for one desperately. I was going to add XM. But I have tons of music on my phone and pandora. So not so much a need again as well.

FullMonte

Adventurer
@FullMonte I know it's very nice. No I didn't do the back up camera. I should have. But I want a good quality one like the dealers have in factory setups. I will have to do some research. But since I don't have one, I don't really see the need for one desperately. I was going to add XM. But I have tons of music on my phone and pandora. So not so much a need again as well.

Yeah, I rushed mine a bit just getting what the best buy guy recommended. The back up cam doesn't briskly come up on the screen as fast as the ome cams on my other vehicles but I am still satisfied. The placement of the camera was kinda weird too. The camera is screwed into my plastic rear bumper, right above the hitch. I was expecting the cam to be over the license plate or something..but oh well, gives me piece of mind and has come in handy!

Good luck on your search, ill post anything that I find..

cnutco

Adventurer
Great looking Montero! I do like the look of the double din radios, but I am still struggling with a location for a switch panel. That is the only reason I did not go double din when I replaced the head unit in my Gen3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94