Calling LR3 and LR4 lowers, loyalists, cool aid drinkers and skeptics...

Jwestpro

Explorer
Anyone here who, like me, does pretty much love their LR3 or LR4 but if looking at the used market for couple year old LR4 and upon realizing a 2013 Land Cruiser is roughly the same $$$..... ?

How to make it an equal comparison? Well, some of the things that make and LR4 "better" become irrelevant when I pull all the seats from both vehicles because I want maximum interior volume. Put a 2" OME lift, or better, on the LC, 33-35 " tires, and the ground clearance aspect is moot. The engines are essentially the same in terms of driving feel, 5L v8, etc. with hp and torque similar.

LC gets a higher tow rating probably just because of the solid rear axle.

Air bags are all over both so safety is similar enough. Tail gates to sit on and big rear end overhangs fairly similar.

LC cools your bottom on long summer drives ;) LC seats are considerably more comfortable - in my opinion.

They both now have locking differential options via ARB.

I do LOVE the LR air suspension in that it's so flexible for garaging, camping, fording obstacles. But I have never enjoyed when needing a new compressor or a bizarre fault caused by some tiny electro gizmo. Even once I was able to mostly fix these issues with the IIDtool or LLAMS, it's still a bit nerve wracking out away from my 200 mile included towing radius ;)

Will I sell my LR3 that I bought new in 2007, have nearly outfitted perfectly? No, but will I shift it's use into pure business work hauler or camper and also buy an LR4 instead of a Land Cruiser 200 for basically the same $$$ ?

Well, that's the question. Would you? Let's even say it's a $60k budget +/- $10k.

I like the tight go-pretty much anywhere package that an SUV sized vehicle provides but there are obvious alternatives in the same budget that are awefully "nice", nicer than necessary.

A new Sprinter "4x4" or a very ************ full size pick-up truck with a Cummins diesel come to mind but both are vastly different in their footprint and abilities.

Thoughts and ideas welcomed from fellow conflicted Land Rover lovers ;)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I would buy the 200 series that Eric Edwards has listed for $50k. But I've never owned a lr4.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
James: You have one of the nicer LR3's. Why not just spend some money getting it gone through and keep on keeping on with it? The LR3 is so much more utilitarian (in my opinion) than the LR4. The LR4's are so nice that I couldnt feel good camping in it or gutting the uber expensive interior.

I am just curious, not wanting to debate. I think your truck is so nice!

D

Jwestpro

Explorer
Don't know what you mean by "gone through" ? I was not saying I'd sell it.

There is also nothing appreciably nicer about the interior of an lr4 though either. It's the same thing with slightly nicer leather.

As for gutting, I was referring to my lr3 though, keeping it, and going crazy with an interior job to maximize function. At some point though I will want a newer / better engine and transmission combination. At some point I though I will probably need it to become my work only vehicle with something else the personal/travel vehicle.

spikemd

Explorer
Go with a full size range rover. Better interior than the LC and very smooth. If you are going to keep your LR3, then you don't need to kit out your new truck. Keep it more stock and enjoy the vehicle. Rovers have so much more personality. Every time I get in my buddy's LC, it's so bland... hence the reason we sold the 4runner and bought an LR3. The LR3/4 is such a versatile vehicle.

As far as your EAS, if the LR3 is the dedicated trail rig, put on coils with a decent lift. So glad I got rid of air on my Range Rover even though the ride with air is superior. On the trail, you don't want to deal with suspension issues like we did when new air springs blew up and my buddy drove home on bump stops from Death Valley 400+ miles.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I guess at this rate I'll be quoting Viggen in 5 years when he says the 200 series Land Cruiser is the solution to all questions on this forum.

zelatore

Explorer
I just could never own a Toyota. I can't stomach the corporate philosophy of all beige, all the time. I know the faithful think the world of them from the Camry to the LC, but all of them are just so ... boring. And although I haven't been in a new LC, I've been in some of Toyota's current model top-dogs like a tricked out Tundra and the IS-F - both of them really felt cheap and flimsy to me. I was sorely disappointed. Granted, it was only about 30 minutes in each and I wasn't driving.
I'll second Ted's comments above and recommend going with a RR. Keep the LR3 for trail work and step it up a notch for your driver. The LR3/4 are so similar that other than the extra power and nicer dash you're not really gaining much.
As for the worries about the suspension I'm probably not the one to talk to since my rig is currently laid-up with suspension issues. I've considered going to coils since it's a trail rig and not a driver, but I'd need custom springs just to get back to stock ride height given my weight. I could go firmer and get it up to stock off-road height, which is where I run normally with the Johnson Rods, but I wouldn't want to spring it such that it would be at the Johnson Rod off-road height full time. That ability to gain those few precious inches is enough to keep me on air.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Well, I can tell you the LC 200 and LX570 both feel very solid and well built. Not at all "flimsy". The LX did seem a little tighter than the LC though. Probably just due to having more sound deadening and double layer front side window glass. As for using something less "beige" and having more quirky coolness, I actually still like my 2004 Discovery over the LR3 ;) It also has it's share of odd little electrical issues here and there.

MontyMog

Rolling Thunder
I'm land rover all the way. That being said.... what is this rig's purpose? With a budget of 60k... work and play...lx470. Overlanding and camping...... 4x4 spinter. I say this about jeeps and it applies to toyota..... everyone has one. Be unique..... half the fun of building your rig is sourcing parts or making custom setups.

GMR86

I'd do a rover

If one is thinking logically, a 200 series would probably be the best choice for the reliability alone if nothing else. But then you'd have to drive a 200 series around all the time. If that does it for you, great, but it doesn't get me excited. I get excited about the 80 series and even 100 series Cruisers, but not really the 200 series. My buddy has a 200 series cruiser (actually the Lexus version), and it's a nice vehicle, nicer than my LR3. But, for me the passion for off-road adventure in the newer cruisers seems lacking. I know that's totally a perception thing, but that's how it seems to me. My other friend is a cruiser fanatic and he'd love a 200 series (he likes the 80 and 100 better too). He'd much rather have that over a rover. If he got a rover he wouldn't be content til he had a cruiser. For me, if I had a cruiser I know I'd be wishing it was a rover.

With all that said, I would drive both a 200 series cruiser and a LR4 and see which one makes you feel more tingly. If the idea of owning a cruiser gets you excited because you've done the rover thing for the last while, go for it. For me, every time I drove the cruiser I'd be wishing it was a rover and it would ruin it for me.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've done a few test drives in the LC200, one being about 2 hrs but just highway. I swear next time I'm going to take the 200 or LX570 out on some forest roads! Maybe find a used one to test so they are less worried about the obvious concerns.

The lr4 is what I've actually NOT spent hardly any time in ;) I figure it's pretty much the same but more oomph and torque. I don't really care if the leather is "nicer". In fact I think it's funny when people say the lr4 is SOOOO much more luxurious than the lr3. It's kind of a joke in my opinion that a new lr4 optioned out is $72,000 but doesn't have lumbar control for the passenger....or ventilated front seats....? That's a joke on buyers! Good grief though, even the LC200 only has lumbar for driver. Only the LX 570 has both front seats set up the same although I don't recall if the LX seats have side bolster adjustment. All of that is about the fancy bits though which is more of an issue to me on principal for the price point, not really the most important aspect.

I had a new 2006 LC100. It was pretty sweet, but in now way would I prefer it over a 200 especially considering the chassis and frame are superior on the 200. Interior wise, they are pretty much the same vehicle in size, usefulness. At least the new LX can be ordered withOUT the ridiculous DVD headrest system while the LC200 sticks you with that goofy ceiling mounted dvd system and is not able to be ordered without it from what I've been told at 3 different dealers.

Maybe a G wagen is the answer:
Simple in some ways- ball swivel front end, gutters for incredible roof potential, giant tire clearance, simple to lift....
Modern/fancy in others - solid awesome ventilated seats, pretty paint choices ;)
$60k though only gets you in to a 2009 maybe with some miles, not one of the newer 550 and certainly not a 63

A.J.M

Explorer
Can you get a L405 RR?

Having been in a friends MY12 Disco4 SDV6 hse. It's MILES better than my Disco3. The engine was far superior, more power, actual grunt when you put your foot down and the 8 speed with flappy paddles was a nice bonus.
The interior is much nicer, the seats are far better and more supportive. Redesigned dash is good.

The terrain response has been upgraded in the 4 over the 3. His has the locking rear diff which in the UK is a very rare option.
The centre and rear diff lock in stages now, instead of being on/off, it goes in 1/3, 2/3 3/3 stages.

Granted, i'm comparing a 04 2.7 tdv6 6 speed auto, with 188bhp to a 12 3.0 sdv6 8 speed auto with 255bhp.

Have a try at one and see how you like it. The 5.0 and 8 speed box should be a very good combo.

Scott Brady

Founder
The LC200 is a serious machine. When I met with the engineers in Nagoya, they said it is the strongest Land Cruiser ever built, frame, axles, suspension, transfer-case, etc.

I will say that the LR4 has some performance advantages (rear locker and height-adjustable suspension) and a superior ride, but if you can get past the Highlander styling, the LC200 is worthwhile platform.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I think my weekend will have some driving....used models of all above are nearby so that's perfect for asking "hey, I need to go on a 1hr test drive... without salesperson"

Eniam17

Adventurer
I think my weekend will have some driving....used models of all above are nearby so that's perfect for asking "hey, I need to go on a 1hr test drive... without salesperson"

Lr3 owner to lr3 owner, the lr4 does not do it for me enough to spend 50k+on one. 75 more hp, an updated interior, and slightly better traction control are not enough to tear me away from an lr3. Everyone loves to say that the Toyota interiors are boring and bland but the new land cruisers are not nearly as bad as most toyotas I've been in - tundra, 4Runner,etc. the land cruiser is a world class machine - it's true comparison should be vs a full size Range Rover. I will be interested to hear what you think. If this is going to be a vehicle to build and off-road with as you have done with your lr3, I can't imagine not seriously considering the cruiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne