Looking to lift a 2WD GMT800 Silverado

ZMagic97

Explorer
As an update I bought a Rough Country 3" lift kit with spindles, blocks, and shocks. I work 6 nights a week, 12 hour shifts for a couple more weeks so I won't be doing the install for a few weeks. I also got a carpet kit to replace the rubber floor (did the install yesterday morning and evening) and plan on adding an overhead console soon too. I will probably start a build thread.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
my 2 cents. if you are dead set on lifting it, put a 1inch body lift on it, then the tallest tires that won't rub and call it good. by lifting any independent suspension vehicle, 2wd or 4wd your reliability goes out the window. highdesertranger

ZMagic97

Explorer
Update: I decided against the lift. I actually ended up buying a lifted 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab from a coworker: it is a 4WD Z71. I will be keeping it and the Silverado, and selling my JK Rubicon.

AFSOC

Explorer
Update: I decided against the lift. I actually ended up buying a lifted 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab from a coworker: it is a 4WD Z71. I will be keeping it and the Silverado, and selling my JK Rubicon.

Solid choice and seems to better achieve your goals. Too bad though, I was looking forward to following a 2wd build. I will be the first to admit that my transfer case shift knob doesn't have many finger prints on it. For me, 4wd has become more of an insurance policy than a necessity. My trail riding has become more mild and less frequent.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Solid choice and seems to better achieve your goals. Too bad though, I was looking forward to following a 2wd build. I will be the first to admit that my transfer case shift knob doesn't have many finger prints on it. For me, 4wd has become more of an insurance policy than a necessity. My trail riding has become more mild and less frequent.

I totally agree with it being insurance. Most of my driving in a 4x4 is mild trails and forest roads as stated before. I'm more of a on-road overlander and then hit up trails for some scenery when I get to my destination.

The GMC has 35"s and a 6" lift but drives VERY nice. I just dropped it off at a local shop to fix some leaks while I'm gone 14hrs a night for a few more days. They are doing the pan seal, front and rear mails, coolant lines from the firewall, power steering, oil cooler port cover, and the valve covers. It's not cheap for them to do it all, but it'll all be new and comes with a 24 month/24,000 mile warranty on anything they touch.

The little 4.3 Silverado is still a great vehicle for going anywhere on pavement and get's better mileage and great to park due to its short size.

I already used a carpet cleaner to clean the interior last Thursday night (my one night off a week right now) and it made the inside look brand new.

I plan on starting a build thread on it, or perhaps both trucks in the same thread as I don't plan on doing too much more work to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online