Looking to lift a 2WD GMT800 Silverado

ZMagic97

Explorer
Before we get too far, I know lifting a 2WD truck to some people is stupid, sacrilegious, etc. I am not lifting my truck to try to be a 4x4 or expect 4x4 performance out of it. I have a Rubicon for that.

With that out of the way, I have a 2005 Silverado that is my daily driver. White, single cab, short bed, work truck model with a Leer camper shell added on with a Bedrug kit. 4.3L V6 with a 4L60E. Also, it seems like it was reverse leveled by lowering the rear.

Being that I have owned this truck for 3 years, love it very much, and it has no issues, I recently bought the center console from a Tahoe to make it a split seat and have a carpet kit on the way too.

Because of this cozy little set-up, I want to take it down more dirt roads for weekend camping trips around the area, fishing trips, etc. In order to get a little more ground clearance (I have drug the rear bumper a couple times in soft dirt) and traction I am thinking of doing a 3" lift from Rough Country, maybe adding a locker, and replacing my General Grabber HTS to an all terrain tire and going from the factory 17" rim to a 16".

So...what are your thoughts? Is this a total waste of time? Will this set-up be worthless? Or will a little lift and A/T tires (I'm not sure on a locker yet) be a great way to make my daily driver a little more rugged and useful?

All input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

SlowJoe

The changes you propose would most likely help with your mobility, however it may not be the best use of your funds or time. If you sold your truck and put the money from it's sale with the modification budget and bought the 4X4 version of it you would end up with a much more capable vehicle than you would have with the modified 2wd and you would most likely end up with money left over. I spent a lot of time looking for a suburban a while back and there was very little difference in price of the 2 vs 4 wheel drive versions in many cases....

chaos616

Adventurer
I think think it would help with a bit of ground clearance as well as slightly better tires. I think the best thing you could do would be a traction aid device, like a limited slip (yours may have the G80 for the 10 bolt, decent limited slip, has been known to have a few issues, but for just dirt roads you would be fine i think), or even a locker. I bet a 3" lift for that is super cheap, you could even get more with a rear block and crank up the torsion bars (cost total maybe 150 bucks). you don't have to worry about cv angles in the front, just steering, but with 2wd your not going to be doing rock crawling anyway.

Could be fun little setup for driving around with.

Cheers,

MikeCG

Adventurer
I can see reasons to lift a rwd. It's about the ground clearance. What is just wrong is the late 90's Wrangler that I saw driving around Cape May, NJ with chopped springs. It sat with it's rear bumper about 4 inches off the ground and bounced down the road like all those cars you've see wear they chop the factory springs in half and put them back on. Now that was stupid.

Bojak

Adventurer
Lift it. Lots of wheelin can be done with a locked rear. You will need to choose your battles but you can have a lot of fun too. Momentum will be your friend but comes with inherent dangers so plan your routes and lines well. I've been some crazy places in a 2wd. It helps if you're not afraid to run it like you stole it. Sounds like you have a jeep for anything real extreme.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you think 2wd is fine for your needs, then adding a little clearance and better tires is a great plan. Finding a junkyard axle with a gov lock in it would get you a cheap locker that works great if you're a little mindful of how it works. With the somewhat soft stock rear springs that most 2wd 1500's got, you'll probably find that a full length add-a leaf and shorter lift block in the back would be a better setup than simply installing a taller block. (The taller the block, and the softer the spring, the higher the propensity for axle hop when the going gets soft...)

Have fun with it!!

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I guess I am a fellow 2wd owner/driver. I live up north and we have a long winter, I get by just fine. We have to sit back and think to ourselves just how often we would actually use 4wd and also how often we would really need it.

I'd go for the lift. I would personally go for a different, more aggressive tire in a 10 ply simply for the durability factor and not so much for extra weight capacity. I don't think you would have a problem fitting 265/70/17 on your factory wheels without the lift, but increased ground clearance sure helps.
I have an 04 extended cab 2wd 1500 I have been fiddling with, its not yet on the road but I put 235/85/16s on and they only rub a very little bit on the frame at full steering wheel lock. But I've been thinking of the lift spindles (and spacers to fit 16s) but I'm undecided about keeping the truck.
My main daily driver is a 1500HD 2wd with that same size tire, one of my next mods will be CST 4" spindles for ground clearance. It does well for what it is, I have a leer 180cc topper that I can throw pretty much whatever I need in, or a canoe up top. I do have a winch, I need to find the time to mount up. Sure 4x4 is nice, I've owned many, and have a couple currently but this 2wd crew cab is the best fit for now for what I want to do and what I want it to do for me.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Thank you all for the replies so far!

As a clarification, I do know that I can get more capability by selling the truck and getting a 4WD, however in the last year it has had new tires, new timing chain cover and gasket, new oil pan and gasket, fuel pressure regulator, plugs, wires, distributor assembly, water pump and hoses, and some injectors. I know it's reliable so I have a hard time parting ways with it.

I think the lift and tires will happen around 6 months from now (as I'm in no hurry and my current tires have a lot of tread left) and the locker at a later date. Most of my off pavement travels will be packed dirt forest roads in northern Arizona where I can go now, I just think a more aggressive tread and some ground clearance will help.

As for the costs and those who said it would be fairly cheap; it is. The Rough Country lift is $400 for the 3" (including shocks) and the tires, which I think will be white letter out BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs will be about another $1000.

Truck has ~138,000 miles on it and I paid cash for it 3 years ago. I plan on driving it until it is no longer reasonable to own it. I plan on doing a motor swap years from now if need be if the rest of the truck is still as good as it is.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
My first offroad vehicle was a '75 chevy 2wd, I took that old beast all over nevada and it was a blast!!! if I couldn't climb a hill I would load a bunch of rocks in the bed and get a run at it and it would usually get me where I wanted to go, a locker would have helped alot but it was not a financial option back then, I did carry a come-a-long and some chain that came in handy quite often!! I say go for and enjoy the truck you have until you can get a 4wd, You won't regret it!!

J.R.

Observer
Hey Z. Im from Mesa so I know the roads you plan on driving. And Ive pretty much driven all those roads in a 2wd truck. Can the lift and tires help? YUP. Do you need em? NOPE. From what I read of your posts above it sounds like you probably know those roads also, and you already knew the answer. I figgure that your just trying to justify the lift/ tires in your mind (you know, is it worth it to lift a 2wd truck). I say save up a lift/ tire fund and run the truck all summer, up over 4 peaks, around the Sanfransisco's, Colorado river basin, Bradshaws, across the Mogollion, White mountains where ever your fancy takes you. By the end of the summer you WILL know if you what to lift it or not.

Edit: About a year a go I sold my well built TJ. I decided to move away from the rock crawling scene. And do more traveling and fly fishing, so Ive been putting all my time and effort into my '05 Silverado. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hey Z. Im from Mesa so I know the roads you plan on driving. And Ive pretty much driven all those roads in a 2wd truck. Can the lift and tires help? YUP. Do you need em? NOPE. From what I read of your posts above it sounds like you probably know those roads also, and you already knew the answer. I figgure that your just trying to justify the lift/ tires in your mind (you know, is it worth it to lift a 2wd truck). I say save up a lift/ tire fund and run the truck all summer, up over 4 peaks, around the Sanfransisco's, Colorado river basin, Bradshaws, across the Mogollion, White mountains where ever your fancy takes you. By the end of the summer you WILL know if you what to lift it or not.

Edit: About a year a go I sold my well built TJ. I decided to move away from the rock crawling scene. And do more traveling and fly fishing, so Ive been putting all my time and effort into my '05 Silverado. :ylsmoke:

Thanks for the input!

Yes, part of it is justifying it, the other part of my also just wants a higher ride and a more aggressive looking truck.

CodyY

Explorer
Having owned 5 of these trucks from 6" dropped to 6" raised, your best bet is to avoid anything by rough country. pushing 33's with the 4.3 is a pain, and the additional ride height makes it a ***** to load stuff in the back and that much more wind resistance on a "sufficient", but not exactly overwhelmingly powerful engine.

Bilstien's all around on the "lifted" setting, bring the rear back up to stock with OE shackles
upper control arms from Total Chaos/Mazzula/Cognito
All-terrain 285's on 17/18 wheels (33-ish dia)
Truetrac rear diff. 3.73's if you're not already equipped with them.

this is the best combination of daily driver fuel economy/capability/fun-to drive. if you want to go a little higher, I'd do lift spindles and keep the bilstiens in the "low" setting with a 2" rear block or better yet; deaver mini-packs.

mwlynch3

I drove a 98 ford ranger. 2wd. 4cyl. Reg cab. All over the Mohave desert and various parts in the desert. I had a 2.5" lift, 31" BFG mud terrains, decent shocks, and good brakes. That truck went everywhere I wanted it too. It really surprised me with how well it did at low speeds and medium speeds.

Focus on decent tires and being able to drive it safely. 2wd is not for hardcore mudding but it will get you lots of places.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
Thank you for the addition input all.

I'm surprised about hearing a bad review about Rough Country: my buddy down the street has their kit on his truck and likes it and many forums spoke highly of it.

As far as Tire size, I'm going to be at about 31's.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Anybody have any pictures with 1-3" lifts by chance? Or feedback on set-ups and brands? (Other than already stated).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles